Where the jewies at?

Jewfish, Jewies, Soapies, what an awesome fish to target!
bursar

Re: Where the jewies at?

Post by bursar » Thu May 03, 2018 2:31 pm

bursar wrote:
Sasquatch wrote:Back on topic....

If you have read any fishing reports from 'supposed' fishing moguls from Geelong and the surrounding areas, over the last decade or more, all you have to do to catch a Jewie in the Barwon River sheepwash end, is throw a live bait into the river.

Some of the best fishing times are as follows:

Dawn or Dusk,
Full Moon or no moon,
2 hours before high tide, 2 hours after high tide,
2 hours before low tide, 2 hours after low tide,
Summer, Autumn, Winter, Spring,
Sun, wind, rain, hail.
Influx of fresh water from upstream Barwon River
No water from upstream Barwon River.

I've been fishing the river since I was a kid and caught just about every species of fish except a Jewfish.
I don't think I have ever seen or know of anyone that has caught a Jewfish.

Maybe we should have a Barwon Heads exclusive topic to see what people have caught and the estimated sizes of whats been caught.

Could be intetesting

Well all you had to do last year was fish "sheepwash end" anywhere between Jan to at the very of this month (at the very least) a few days prior to a few days after the full moon (find the date within this bracket where the low tide dips to the lowest) and fish this section of the river when the low tide is after dusk 7-10pm (i believe their is a 3hr+ delay from the barwon bridge so account for that)(have the rods in the water 1 hr before low tide, 2 hrs after) If you shine your torch in the water and theirs heaps of mullet swimming around you have a good shot.

Try a paternoster rig that sits your bait above the weed(a good 1-1.5metres of the bottom). 30pound fluro trace if you want a chance, 60pound if you want less of a chance:P
Super fresh pilies/ huge chunks of freshly caught mullet that will fit a 7o hook or "freshly caught strips of squid. I would not bother if i couldn't supply one of these 3 options for bait.

As a update, i can confirm(this full moon) the mulloway are still biting, being broken off and being lost at the netting phase no less!
bite period this full moon was 8.45pm to 11.00pm(once the current hits, its over folks!)

And as a final point i will like to mention that during the full moon phase based on my own experience over the last 2 years fishing the barwon river
the following hr after the turn of the low tide has seen the majority of runs.

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Thu May 03, 2018 2:45 pm

thats some great info there mate, thanks for sharing!

bursar

Post by bursar » Sat May 05, 2018 11:13 am

bursar wrote:
bursar wrote:

If you have read any fishing reports from 'supposed' fishing moguls from Geelong and the surrounding areas, over the last decade or more, all you have to do to catch a Jewie in the Barwon River sheepwash end, is throw a live bait into the river.

Dawn or Dusk,
Full Moon or no moon,
Sun, wind, rain, hail.

I've been fishing the river since I was a kid and caught just about every species of fish except a Jewfish.

Maybe we should have a Barwon Heads exclusive topic to see what people have caught and the estimated sizes of whats been caught.

Could be intetesting

Well all you had to do last year was fish "sheepwash end" anywhere between Jan to at the very of this month (at the very least) a few days prior to a few days after the full moon (find the date within this bracket where the low tide dips to the lowest) and fish this section of the river when the low tide is after dusk 7-10pm (i believe their is a 3hr+ delay from the barwon bridge so account for that)(have the rods in the water 1 hr before low tide, 2 hrs after) If you shine your torch in the water and theirs heaps of mullet swimming around you have a good shot.

Try a paternoster rig that sits your bait above the weed(a good 1-1.5metres of the bottom). 30pound fluro trace if you want a chance, 60pound if you want less of a chance:P
Super fresh pilies/ huge chunks of freshly caught mullet that will fit a 7o hook or "freshly caught" strips of squid. I would not bother if i couldn't supply one of these 3 options for bait.

As a update, i can confirm(this full moon) the mulloway are still biting, being broken off and being lost at the netting phase no less!
bite period this full moon was 8.45pm to 11.00pm(once the current hits, its over folks!)

Use 1 or 2 rods. Although i use 2, having them spaced far apart is a good idea. As once the fish hits the bait (locked to no less then 2kg drag) it will
hook itself (but they can be fiddly chewers on pilchard) and bolt in the direction of the current. So you risk the fish going thru multiple anglers lines
if you have not considered your location beforehand.

And as a final point i will like to mention that during the full moon phase based on my own experience over the last 2 years fishing the barwon river

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Mon May 07, 2018 6:29 am

Great tips

nooga27

Post by nooga27 » Tue May 08, 2018 9:56 pm

bursar wrote:
bursar wrote:
bursar wrote:

Dawn or Dusk,
Full Moon or no moon,
Sun, wind, rain, hail.

Could be intetesting

Super fresh pilies/ huge chunks of freshly caught mullet that will fit a 7o hook or "freshly caught" strips of squid. I would not bother if i couldn't supply one of these 3 options for bait.

Use 1 or 2 rods. Although i use 2, having them spaced far apart is a good idea. As once the fish hits the bait (locked to no less then 2kg drag) it will
hook itself (but they can be fiddly chewers on pilchard) and bolt in the direction of the current. So you risk the fish going thru multiple anglers lines
if you have not considered your location beforehand.

Awesome info man, I've been struggling hard for years at the barwon mainly because of the current I've only had one or two runs there, I didn't think that it would be 3 hours different to the bridge so it was always running!! That's great to know for next time I'm up there! You don't think fresh squid does the job there?

Good to hear they're around!
Red sky at night, Fisherman's delight

AngeloFiedler

Post by AngeloFiedler » Fri Dec 29, 2023 8:47 pm

nooga27 wrote:
Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:20 pm
If anyone is seriously keen to catch jews, get down to Salt Creek, SA over summer and fish the beach - i went with a few mates and none of us had ever got one - in three days we got more than 30! crazy place over there!
It looks like a great spot.
Did you use live bait or just frozen ones?
How about tide, any specific ?

Thanks buddy!

Return to “Mulloway Fishing”