2.6kg Mulloway

Jewfish, Jewies, Soapies, what an awesome fish to target!
retortery

2.6kg Mulloway

Post by retortery » Sat Jan 24, 2015 5:24 am

Caught 1hr ago - so coming at you live from Docklands. Nice fight. Released after some quick snaps! 2.6kg and 68cm.

Apologies for poor-quality photos - it's quite a task succesfully landing, measuring, weighing, photographing and releasing decent fish when solo!
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
Last edited by retortery on Sat Jan 24, 2015 6:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
I fish therefore I am.

davek
Has liked: 268 times

Re: 2.6kg Mulloway

Post by davek » Sat Jan 24, 2015 5:34 am

Good work and nice fish, your doing alright down there, cheers davo.
It's an exhilarating feeling catching a fish
But it's an even better feeling releasing them

retortery

Post by retortery » Sat Jan 24, 2015 5:43 am

Just got another. But bigger and fatter 71cm 2.8kg.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
I fish therefore I am.

davek
Has liked: 268 times

Post by davek » Sat Jan 24, 2015 5:44 am

:P your on a roll :thumbsup: cheers davo
It's an exhilarating feeling catching a fish
But it's an even better feeling releasing them

kaotay

Post by kaotay » Sat Jan 24, 2015 7:06 am

Nice work!

complete-anglerz-12

Post by complete-anglerz-12 » Sat Jan 24, 2015 8:42 am

what a trip well done keep it up hatrick
where is the calamari ............. don't worry they coming ........ they will come

bilby

Post by bilby » Sat Jan 24, 2015 9:03 am

Awesome fish - a fantastic effort! Just a tip, though - if you are releasing fish, you need to support them horizontally, and be careful to avoid them slipping from your grip onto hard surfaces like asphalt / concrete (I ended up keeping mine the other night due to my own clumsiness in this regard). You can weigh the fish in the net by weighing the net first, then subtracting it from the total - this means less fish handling, too. Holding them vertically from the head can damage the fish. I'm also using circle hooks for mulloway these days, as it increases the survival rate for released fish, since the hook tends to grip in the corner of the mouth and not get swallowed by the fish.

http://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/fisheries/rec ... nd-release" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/fisheries/rec ... s-and-tips" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

retortery

Post by retortery » Sat Jan 24, 2015 9:27 am

bilby wrote:Awesome fish - a fantastic effort! Just a tip, though - if you are releasing fish, you need to support them horizontally, and be careful to avoid them slipping from your grip onto hard surfaces like asphalt / concrete (I ended up keeping mine the other night due to my own clumsiness in this regard). You can weigh the fish in the net by weighing the net first, then subtracting it from the total - this means less fish handling, too. Holding them vertically from the head can damage the fish. I'm also using circle hooks for mulloway these days, as it increases the survival rate for released fish, since the hook tends to grip in the corner of the mouth and not get swallowed by the fish.

http://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/fisheries/rec ... nd-release" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/fisheries/rec ... s-and-tips" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Cheers Bilby. I climbed the ladder for the first and let him breathe. I was much quicker with the second so speared him back in. Both swam away fine. Unfortunately I'm on the pushy so would need a highly retractable telescopic net - are these available?
I fish therefore I am.

bilby

Post by bilby » Sat Jan 24, 2015 10:07 am

Yes, I think you can get ones that pack up to a small size. This is the kind I normally use: http://www.anaconda.com.au/Product/Wate ... anding-Net" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

With the issue of holding the fish, apparently supporting them by the head can damage the muscles and gills around the 'neck' area, whereas if you hold them horizontally (as they would be in the water), the injury is minimised. Of course, if you are keeping a fish to eat, it doesn't matter much! Good luck with your mulloway fishing!

seephil
Has liked: 37 times

Post by seephil » Sat Jan 24, 2015 10:10 am

Good Stuff Retortery! I'm still waiting for my first jewie...

Return to “Mulloway Fishing”