2 mulloway in 2 days

Jewfish, Jewies, Soapies, what an awesome fish to target!
Fishsniper

2 mulloway in 2 days

Post by Fishsniper » Mon May 04, 2015 8:35 am

Well, I have been seriously fishing the Nong for he last couple weeks 3 or 4 times a week at night in the wee hours of the morning and the last 2 nights
I have managed to hook 2, both around the same size and both about the same 4.30 am in the morning, I was able to fight both fish so that I was able to see them with my my head lamp on in the water, stupid me was only fishing one hook and as soon as they saw my ugly head the literally spat the hook at me and to my surprise given the fight that ensued the bait was still in tact both times which was a whole pilchard. However this time I purposly used pilchard for bait so I could cube it up and use it as burley, now, I arrived at my destination at 2.30am and did not get a bite untill I decided to cube heavily. I'll get a couple bfore too long

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Re: 2 mulloway in 2 days

Post by purple5ive » Mon May 04, 2015 8:43 am

They have very bony pallette. So you need to hook them properly otherwise hooks will just not penetrate properly.

Rod Bender

Post by Rod Bender » Mon May 04, 2015 9:08 am

Fishsniper wrote:Well, I have been seriously fishing the Nong for he last couple weeks 3 or 4 times a week at night in the wee hours of the morning and the last 2 nights
Do you get many people fishing there at this time Frank? What sort / size hooks do you use for them?
cheers
Jim
Proudly sponsoring Trelly's Tackleworld and Boats & More!

bilby

Post by bilby » Mon May 04, 2015 8:35 pm

Yes, it's painful. We've lost so many big fish to structure this year (including this week) it's getting ridiculous. Landbased fishing is tough!

Redhunter
Has liked: 138 times

Post by Redhunter » Mon May 04, 2015 10:09 pm

If you're using whole pillies, best to be using two-hook rigs if you can imo, even if they are just 4/0's. Getting hook-ups means you're halfway there, but I'm sure it won't be long till you finally land one.
Roughly how big have the fish been that you have been hooking? The nong isnt renowned for large fish, but it's a great starting point, and you also have every chance of catching a decent snapper fishing that method as well. You'd be surprised!
Although it's windy as hell out there, it's a full moon tonight (my favourite)...hope you get amongst them!

Return to “Mulloway Fishing”