help please to try and catch a mulloway

Jewfish, Jewies, Soapies, what an awesome fish to target!
Rod Bender

Re: help please to try and catch a mulloway

Post by Rod Bender » Sun May 17, 2015 8:15 am

passport1980 wrote:there are danglers, and there are anglers...

Yeah...I am a dangler. One day I will chase fish.
x 2! :)
cheers
Team Bender
Nowhere near good enough! :???:
Proudly sponsoring Trelly's Tackleworld and Boats & More!

bilby

Post by bilby » Mon May 18, 2015 5:49 pm

We gave it a shot yesterday from about 4.00 p.m. - 8.30 p.m. Not a touch (well, one hit, which was probably a snapper by the style of bite). We may do two or three sessions in the cold like this and not get anything - as others have said, putting in the time is pretty important.

slinga

Post by slinga » Mon May 18, 2015 7:04 pm

Redhunter- You are very true in the words you speak. The one piece of advice I can add to your piece is fresh Squid has worked just as well for me. Especially long candles...
Linc- "slimeys are great fun to catch, like hooking a giant vibrator with a propeller onto the end of your rod! Well done"

Fishsniper

Post by Fishsniper » Mon May 18, 2015 7:38 pm

Redhunter wrote:Gday Ricki!
Mulloway fishing is very close to the pinnacle of vic fishing imo. If you can catch a "decent" silver mulloway, you have learnt all that is required in order to catch just about anything...
What are you after mate? A number, or a real jew? A number is easy, but a real jew is something else...
With all due respect to all forum members, there are danglers, and there are anglers... Be very careful what advice you take from whom, in order to move forward, not backwards...take all onboard, and assess the feedback with wisdom...

I won't say I'm an expert, but I was obsessed with them once upon a time. I used to hit them 5 times a week, while working 6 days a week. Home was just a bed to me, and even then, sleep deprived I certainly was. Would fish till at least midnight on weekdays, then all-nighters on Saturday nights, and straight to work with no sleep on Sunday mornings. It's a drug worse than ice! "Jewie eyes" was something I knew far too well. I was always very strict on myself, and only used the freshest of baits. If it wasn't live, it was within an hr old, otherwise not fresh enough. Livebaits are the best baits...hands down. It doesn't get any fresher! You have experience with kingies...jewies' tastes are similar. The thing is that they feed at spasmodic intervals, and it is a matter of putting in the time at a spot until a fish gets hungry. Jews are re-knowned for terrorising livebaits, just to leave them untouched. Sometimes they will enhale them, scale them, and spit them out pretty much dead, without you even knowing...

With all due respect, I have fished on 7 occasions around the full moon last month in a 2 week period and maneged to land 4 or 5 schoolies and lost 2 other alot bigger so there is also a bit of luck involved, I hadn;t fished for them since last year so there are plenty around, a bit of burley cubes of pilchard and a whole pilchard and it ain't that hard, sometimes people make em out to be impossible to catch, get your tides and moon right and use the cubing method and you will get a schoolie at some stage
They're an awesome fish that deserve the utmost respect...

Pm me if you would like more info...

Redhunter
Has liked: 138 times

Post by Redhunter » Mon May 18, 2015 9:49 pm

slinga wrote: The one piece of advice I can add to your piece is fresh Squid has worked just as well for me. Especially long candles...
So very true Slinga...and as a livebait they would have to be the best of the best imo.

Fish-sniper : great work! Glad you've been getting a taste of the fun. How's the "jewie fever" going? Hooked yet? Have you tried buying food grade pillies from the market and using them? You may be surprised how much more interest you'll get. This will help give you an idea of the difference between fresh and not, and why.

Many believe the new moon period fishes as well as the full moon period, but I'm a strong believer in the full moon period for jews. I've lost some of my biggest...fish that would have to be over 30kg...which has got to be the ultimate when it comes to Melbourne CBD fishing imo.

ducky
Has liked: 22 times

Post by ducky » Mon May 18, 2015 10:14 pm

Redhunter wrote:
slinga wrote: The one piece of advice I can add to your piece is fresh Squid has worked just as well for me. Especially long candles...
So very true Slinga...and as a livebait they would have to be the best of the best imo.

Fish-sniper : great work! Glad you've been getting a taste of the fun. How's the "jewie fever" going? Hooked yet? Have you tried buying food grade pillies from the market and using them? You may be surprised how much more interest you'll get. This will help give you an idea of the difference between fresh and not, and why.

Many believe the new moon period fishes as well as the full moon period, but I'm a strong believer in the full moon period for jews. I've lost some of my biggest...fish that would have to be over 30kg...which has got to be the ultimate when it comes to Melbourne CBD fishing imo.
Out of interest. In all those years and all those hours chasing jews what is your PB?

Redhunter
Has liked: 138 times

Post by Redhunter » Mon May 18, 2015 10:46 pm

That's an interesting one Ducky! Much of my time was spent in the yarra and around the docklands (before it was turned into nightclubs) where eating them is pretty much out of the question. The smaller jews were easy enough to lift up onto the piers at the docks, but we didn't want to hurt the bigger fish for the sake of weighing them and often cut them off to swim away. It was only if fishing the bay would we consider keeping them. A mate did keep a good one that went 29kg, which gives us a good indicator to compare against. In saying all this though, more battles have been lost than won, especially once those fish push into double figures and get a bit of punch behind them. Pylons aplenty at the docks...frustrating times!

It's been a while, but I've got a couple of new tricks that I wanna try next full moon at certain old haunt out in the bay (weather permitting). About due for a jew I reckon!!

shazdoggg

Post by shazdoggg » Mon May 18, 2015 11:41 pm

ducky wrote:
Redhunter wrote:

Out of interest. In all those years and all those hours chasing jews what is your PB?
Redhunter wrote:That's an interesting one Ducky! Much of my time was spent in the yarra and around the docklands (before it was turned into nightclubs) where eating them is pretty much out of the question. The smaller jews were easy enough to lift up onto the piers at the docks, but we didn't want to hurt the bigger fish for the sake of weighing them and often cut them off to swim away. It was only if fishing the bay would we consider keeping them. A mate did keep a good one that went 29kg, which gives us a good indicator to compare against. In saying all this though, more battles have been lost than won, especially once those fish push into double figures and get a bit of punch behind them. Pylons aplenty at the docks...frustrating times!

It's been a while, but I've got a couple of new tricks that I wanna try next full moon at certain old haunt out in the bay (weather permitting). About due for a jew I reckon!!
Are you a politician by any chance redhunter??......
When I got time,
I wet a line cos Im a junkie,
been fishin since a kid,
I like it cos it numbs me..

barra mick
Has liked: 26 times

Post by barra mick » Tue May 19, 2015 12:56 pm

He would be a good poly.

He would look after the fisherman and shooters !!
you gotta hav a crack even if yr just pissin in the wind

bilby

Post by bilby » Tue May 19, 2015 9:10 pm

Aren't bay caught mulloway the same fish as those that move in and out of the Yarra, though?

Return to “Mulloway Fishing”