Live baiting

Jewfish, Jewies, Soapies, what an awesome fish to target!
BIG GAV
Has liked: 2 times

Re: Live baiting

Post by BIG GAV » Fri May 20, 2016 6:15 pm

Thanks fellas makes sense I guess. Cheers for the help

Wouldn't a paternoster b tangle city with 2 livies?
If I'm not fishing, I'd rather be fishing!

Scraglor
Has liked: 1 time

Post by Scraglor » Fri May 20, 2016 6:18 pm

fitzy90 wrote:
BIG GAV wrote:Thanks guys how much lead? 4oz? More, less?
there is no hard answer for this bud, it depends on the size of the bait and the pull of the tide, you need enough to pin it to the bottom without the bait dragging the sinker around.
Use your easy rig and change it up depending on the tide / bait size ect.
So i should be tying a 40cm slimey to my anchor? :P Seriously tho, some great advice in here, im a livey noob too

fishpod

Post by fishpod » Fri May 20, 2016 6:23 pm

BIG GAV wrote:Thanks fellas makes sense I guess. Cheers for the help

Wouldn't a paternoster b tangle city with 2 livies?
I only use one dropper :thumbsup:

BIG GAV

Post by BIG GAV » Fri May 20, 2016 6:26 pm

Scraglor wrote:
fitzy90 wrote:
BIG GAV wrote:Thanks guys how much lead? 4oz? More, less?
there is no hard answer for this bud, it depends on the size of the bait and the pull of the tide, you need enough to pin it to the bottom without the bait dragging the sinker around.
Use your easy rig and change it up depending on the tide / bait size ect.
So i should be tying a 40cm slimey to my anchor? :P Seriously tho, some great advice in here, im a livey noob too
I've used live bait a fair bit in a boat, I just never put it on the bottom though so doesn't matter what weight I use I guess..

I've tried for Mulloway a heap in wp while gummy fishing but never got any.. Something always beats it to the bait.. Or nothing finds the bait at all haha

Redhunter
Has liked: 138 times

Post by Redhunter » Fri May 20, 2016 7:51 pm

Without complicating things, a standard 2-hook wp snapper rig will do the job Gav. To avoid tangles, try rigging the livie with its head at the end of your line, as opposed to its tail. (Both hooks through its back). That way when the rig is sitting on the bottom, the livie swims away from the line, as opposed to swimming into the line tangling the hell out of things. Make sense mate?
Another rig, which is very similar, also incorporates a small bean/ball float. When you tie your snapper rig, before you attach the leader to the mainline, slide a small float onto the leader, then slide your ezy rig onto the leader as well. (Using a sinker that outweighs the small float). Now attach the leader to your line via a swivel. This will create a great rig for casting distance. When the rig is cast out and settles on the bottom, the float pulls the leader through the sinker until it hits the swivel. Your livie is now sitting a metre or so above the seabed, right in the jewie's face.
Hook sizes vary, depending on the livies available, but 4/0-10/0 are what I use. If fishing off a bank, 60lb leader, and if off piers/wharves I go 80lb. The big fellas will rub you off on anything that's there, so don't under-estimate them. Mullet are very hardy, along with small salmon. Tailor tend to die quick, but can then be butterflied and used as a dead bait. Squid are a bastard to keep alive, unless you have water running through them flushing out the ink, but they are the best of the best.
Hope this helps you Gav, along with any other noobs out there. The key is to adapt to the environment you are fishing, and experiment with your rigs in order to present a bait in the best way possible.
Good luck!

BIG GAV

Post by BIG GAV » Fri May 20, 2016 8:10 pm

Redhunter wrote:Without complicating things, a standard 2-hook wp snapper rig will do the job Gav. To avoid tangles, try rigging the livie with its head at the end of your line, as opposed to its tail. (Both hooks through its back). That way when the rig is sitting on the bottom, the livie swims away from the line, as opposed to swimming into the line tangling the hell out of things. Make sense mate?
Another rig, which is very similar, also incorporates a small bean/ball float. When you tie your snapper rig, before you attach the leader to the mainline, slide a small float onto the leader, then slide your ezy rig onto the leader as well. (Using a sinker that outweighs the small float). Now attach the leader to your line via a swivel. This will create a great rig for casting distance. When the rig is cast out and settles on the bottom, the float pulls the leader through the sinker until it hits the swivel. Your livie is now sitting a metre or so above the seabed, right in the jewie's face.
Hook sizes vary, depending on the livies available, but 4/0-10/0 are what I use. If fishing off a bank, 60lb leader, and if off piers/wharves I go 80lb. The big fellas will rub you off on anything that's there, so don't under-estimate them. Mullet are very hardy, along with small salmon. Tailor tend to die quick, but can then be butterflied and used as a dead bait. Squid are a bastard to keep alive, unless you have water running through them flushing out the ink, but they are the best of the best.
Hope this helps you Gav, along with any other noobs out there. The key is to adapt to the environment you are fishing, and experiment with your rigs in order to present a bait in the best way possible.
Good luck!
Thanks red! All made perfect sense! Sounds like you may have done this once or twice ;)

Appreciate the help fellas this is the sorta thing that makes FV a standout forum!

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Fri May 20, 2016 8:20 pm

Redhunter wrote:Without complicating things, a standard 2-hook wp snapper rig will do the job Gav. To avoid tangles, try rigging the livie with its head at the end of your line, as opposed to its tail. (Both hooks through its back). That way when the rig is sitting on the bottom, the livie swims away from the line, as opposed to swimming into the line tangling the hell out of things. Make sense mate?
Good luck!
Thanks for that. Would putting one under a float or balloon be worth a shot in a river or estuary?
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

Redhunter
Has liked: 138 times

Post by Redhunter » Fri May 20, 2016 8:38 pm

BG- No worries mate. Hope you get a hit :)

4L- Never hurts to mix thing up mate. I tend to fish them mid water if under a float. Again rigged on a 2-hook rig with head at the end of the line. Certainly keeps you entertained watching a float all night. Your eyes can start playing tricks on you though, especially if putting in a big night. Lol

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Fri May 20, 2016 8:45 pm

A glow stick in a balloon would be pretty easy to keep an eye on as long as it didn't spook the fish.
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Fri May 20, 2016 8:46 pm

Lol I know that feeling all too well. Fishing for gars at night looking at your green light stick for hours and hours.

Return to “Mulloway Fishing”