Jewfish in Victoria

Jewfish, Jewies, Soapies, what an awesome fish to target!
Nuscani

Jewfish in Victoria

Post by Nuscani » Wed May 03, 2017 2:48 pm

Hi all,
Does anyone know of any good Mulloway fishing hotspots in Victoria, I'm really keen to catch one and I am up for the challenge.
All answers are greatly appreciated! :-D

Thanks

Nuscani

bowl
Has liked: 292 times

Re: Jewfish in Victoria

Post by bowl » Wed May 03, 2017 3:56 pm

Never tryed or caught one,barwon heads river,under west gate n herd around st kilda....

efendy

Post by efendy » Wed May 03, 2017 4:11 pm

The name becomes mulloway in Victoria for some reason :) Docklands is considered a prime spot. There is a Facebook page called something along the lines of mulloway in Melbourne. I think it's the right time of the year for targeting them in Melbourne. They say live mullet is the key. But a friend who is known to be very luck with fishing caught two 8-10kg models in two days on pillies. One was foul hooked at the back - yes he's lucky.

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Wed May 03, 2017 5:58 pm

In the past people have got really angry when someone mentioned Herring Island was a good spot to try for jews so I'd be heading there
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

efendy

Post by efendy » Wed May 03, 2017 8:02 pm

4liters wrote:In the past people have got really angry when someone mentioned Herring Island was a good spot to try for jews so I'd be heading there
Is there a way to get there without a boat?

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Wed May 03, 2017 8:06 pm

efendy wrote:
4liters wrote:In the past people have got really angry when someone mentioned Herring Island was a good spot to try for jews so I'd be heading there
I assumed you just fished from the bank somewhere opposite it
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

efendy

Post by efendy » Wed May 03, 2017 8:09 pm

4liters wrote:
efendy wrote:
I assumed you just fished from the bank somewhere opposite it
Yeah, makes sense!

gregmaka
Has liked: 97 times

Post by gregmaka » Wed May 03, 2017 9:00 pm

Werribee rocks,a guy caught one last week,approx 3 kg.

Redhunter
Has liked: 138 times

Post by Redhunter » Wed May 03, 2017 9:06 pm

Nuscani wrote:Hi all,
Does anyone know of any good Mulloway fishing hotspots in Victoria, I'm really keen to catch one and I am up for the challenge.
All answers are greatly appreciated! :-D

Thanks

Nuscani
Just sent you a PM bud.
You will find most Jewie hunters keep most info to themselves, and you will have to do the hard yards to learn and outsmart this elusive species. As for spots, lol, forget it...More chance of winning the lottery. Areas I can recommend though are the yarra, nong, barwon, patto...basically any river that runs into the bay/ocean. Fish with fresh (caught that day) or live bait. Full moon period has been the best time for me, but some folks claim the new moon period is good too. Learn about the species and its characteristics. Do the research and then get out there and start putting in the hours and put theories into practice. A diary of outtings is a wise move, as it gives you a reference point to try to work out patterns. No idiot out there is going to spoon feed you information that has taken them a long time and alot of effort to learn themselves, so much of the work of learning is up to you. If it sounds too hard already, you'd be better off sticking to chasing garfish or salmon, as you need alot of dedication to learn the art of chasing Jews. Hope this is helpful bud. Cheers.

bilby

Post by bilby » Wed May 03, 2017 10:02 pm

Oh, so many hours. I've already been racking up the fishless trips of late - and certainly the rain isn't helping, either. There are a huge number of "spots" where you may be successful - mulloway are tidal hunters, and they utilise opportunities along the full tidal scope of the system, so don't get too hung up on a particular location where someone has told you a fish has been caught recently. In fact, that's probably a good guide to where they won't be by the time you get there. I will say this, though, Nuscani, when you do finally hook one landbased, you do what we do ... run. And I do sort of mean that literally - keep your fish on the move when fishing anywhere near structure ... or say goodnight.

Return to “Mulloway Fishing”