best conditions for jewies

Jewfish, Jewies, Soapies, what an awesome fish to target!
raco09
Has liked: 3 times

best conditions for jewies

Post by raco09 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:18 pm

I was wandering if anyone can tell me the best conditions for fishing mulloways? Do they prefer calmer conditions? Cheers :D
To fish or not to fish...NOT TO FISH ??Yea...like that's even an option !

Cuda
Has liked: 2 times

Re: best conditions for jewies

Post by Cuda » Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:49 am

Hi raco and everyone else...First post..Have been lurking for a long time..
The Jewies I have caught have been in all sorts of conditions, although I am talking Newcastle, NSW before I moved to Melbourne...I still go up there for a fish a couple of times a year and almost always get at least one.
People say they prefer a bit choppier water, and when i think about it, more than half of ones I got were in choppy conditions. Tides absolutely don't matter in my experience, although high tides are more talked about in a positive sense with jewies up there.
I gave up Mulloway fishing when i moved down to Vic, but have tried Barwon a few times with no luck.
Would love to hear about some good surf spots for mulloway in Vic (although I am not a huge fan of surf fishing), if there are reports of Jewies, I'd give it a shot.

raco09
Has liked: 3 times

Post by raco09 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:41 am

Cuda wrote:Hi raco and everyone else...First post..Have been lurking for a long time..
The Jewies I have caught have been in all sorts of conditions, although I am talking Newcastle, NSW before I moved to Melbourne...I still go up there for a fish a couple of times a year and almost always get at least one.
People say they prefer a bit choppier water, and when i think about it, more than half of ones I got were in choppy conditions. Tides absolutely don't matter in my experience, although high tides are more talked about in a positive sense with jewies up there.
I gave up Mulloway fishing when i moved down to Vic, but have tried Barwon a few times with no luck.
Would love to hear about some good surf spots for mulloway in Vic (although I am not a huge fan of surf fishing), if there are reports of Jewies, I'd give it a shot.
Hi Cuda. Welcome aboard. Thanks for the advice. If I try to fish for them it would be more in the rivers such as the Yarra, Marybinong or Patterson river. I've never tried for a jewie off the surf. But at the same time I haven't heard of any being caught from the surf. Maybe if anyone else has, on the forum they can share? :fish11:
To fish or not to fish...NOT TO FISH ??Yea...like that's even an option !

Cuda
Has liked: 2 times

Post by Cuda » Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:04 pm

Was thinking of trying warmies for Jewies one of these arvos/nights..How easy/hard is it to catch live bait there? What is there?Salmon, mullet?? What's the best bait/burley to catch some livies there?
Cheers :thumbsup:

ghost chaser

Post by ghost chaser » Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:37 pm

feb to july is their time, fish the same areas that you do back home as they are a creature of habbit, big FRESH or LIVE baits and a LLLLLOT of patience until you find a patten in your spot of choice, one thing i have learned is that you dont need to always fish the night to catch them, just the right overcast conditions and water temp !!! oh and fish the one area atleast 10 times at various tides and moon phases b4 u have earned the right to call it a poor molluway spot. Goodluck

Return to “Mulloway Fishing”