1st real crack

Jewfish, Jewies, Soapies, what an awesome fish to target!
complete-anglerz-12

1st real crack

Post by complete-anglerz-12 » Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:34 pm

wensday night will be the 1st time going on in search of a Melbourne mulloway. i am thinking of going around pier 35 somewhere would that be a good place to try. i do have a few things i would need help with bait im hoping to get some mullet to live bait but what dead bait to take in case i cant catch one.
hook size also and lb leader to use, any advice would be great if anyone wants to share
where is the calamari ............. don't worry they coming ........ they will come

Fish-Hunter

Re: 1st real crack

Post by Fish-Hunter » Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:46 pm

I have seen a 12.5kg Mulloway caught on a Pilchard.

Redhunter
Has liked: 138 times

Post by Redhunter » Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:08 pm

Great to hear :)
For bait, in order to increase your chances of success greatly, it needs to be fresh. It doesn't get any fresher than something alive and kicking, but if you are unable to obtain livies, you are best to pick up something at the fish market. If you won't eat it, why should a Jew? Squid, salmon, tailor, mullet, are all good dead baits. The dead fish baits should be filleted, or butterflied, depending on the size of them. You should also ensure you replace the baits regularly, as this keeps your presentation as fresh as possible, providing much more chance of a hit.
Hook size depends on the bait size. I'd recommend anything from 6/0-10/0, and make sure they are sharp.
I'd recommend 60-80lb leader as Jews can be dirty fighters, and if they see an opportunity to rub you off on something they will. Especially if they are double figure fish. There are fish 25-35kg in the system, maybe even bigger. I know this first hand. You want everything to be perfect, and work to in your favour wherever you can.
Best of luck, and I hope you hook up tight on a big'un :)

Cheers :)

Mucca

Post by Mucca » Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:24 pm

I've caught jewies on boat.. not sure if its the deal as land. But I've caught them on sting ray meat.

5ubzero

Post by 5ubzero » Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:26 pm

I caught 2 mulloways by accident, on cube pilchard and strip of squid using 3/0 and 4/0 hook.

barra mick
Has liked: 26 times

Post by barra mick » Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:19 pm

complete-anglerz-12 wrote:wensday night will be the 1st time going on in search of a Melbourne mulloway. i am thinking of going around pier 35 somewhere would that be a good place to try. i do have a few things i would need help with bait im hoping to get some mullet to live bait but what dead bait to take in case i cant catch one.
hook size also and lb leader to use, any advice would be great if anyone wants to share
whats happened to your boat ??? be a better chance covering ground in the boat !!

bm
you gotta hav a crack even if yr just pissin in the wind

complete-anglerz-12

Post by complete-anglerz-12 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:01 am

barra mick wrote:
complete-anglerz-12 wrote:wensday night will be the 1st time going on in search of a Melbourne mulloway. i am thinking of going around pier 35 somewhere would that be a good place to try. i do have a few things i would need help with bait im hoping to get some mullet to live bait but what dead bait to take in case i cant catch one.
whats happened to your boat ??? be a better chance covering ground in the boat !!

bm
i was thinking that but i do not hae any lights on it
where is the calamari ............. don't worry they coming ........ they will come

foggybottom

Post by foggybottom » Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:35 am

i've seen on another forum, a pedestal fan grill being used as a bait trap to catch poddy mullet. You simply clip the 2 sides together, there is the entry hole which normall attaches to the fan, tie some rope on and chuck some bread in, and away you go. haven't given this a crack yet, but think that elwood canal, around docklands etc would be a good place to give it a whirl.

complete-anglerz-12

Post by complete-anglerz-12 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 6:26 pm

foggybottom wrote:i've seen on another forum, a pedestal fan grill being used as a bait trap to catch poddy mullet. You simply clip the 2 sides together, there is the entry hole which normall attaches to the fan, tie some rope on and chuck some bread in, and away you go. haven't given this a crack yet, but think that elwood canal, around docklands etc would be a good place to give it a whirl.

i do that in mallacotta it works a treat got a portable air pump today for the night

Fishsniper

Post by Fishsniper » Tue Jan 14, 2014 6:40 pm

The biggest Mulloway I have seen caught has been on a Pilchard but I have seen some good ones on fresh mullet fillet

Return to “Mulloway Fishing”