murray river crayfish?

New topics can only be created by Premium Members in the Classifieds.
jackwoodhouse

murray river crayfish?

Post by jackwoodhouse » Sat Dec 20, 2014 8:24 pm

hey guys, going up to echuca for 5 days after new year and hoping to chase some cod, but i also heard you can catch murray river crays up there, ive put the 2 hoop nets in there a few times but never seem to get any, is there a particular water depth they like or a good bait they like, im just using old red meat and throwing it off the bank but that doesnt seem to be working, any tips would be good, cheers

Brett
Has liked: 138 times

Re: murray river crayfish?

Post by Brett » Sat Dec 20, 2014 8:29 pm

I wouldn't bother with Crays as I believe it's closed season

jedgpz

Post by jedgpz » Sat Dec 20, 2014 8:36 pm

Yes closed season
but there are a few cod around!

jackwoodhouse

Post by jackwoodhouse » Sat Dec 20, 2014 8:53 pm

geez, the open seasons only 3 months, in the middle of winter too, awell the cod was the main thing i was going to chase anyway

mcbain

Post by mcbain » Sun Dec 21, 2014 11:33 am

Better to go in winter if you want crays mate. plus there are no flies and mozzies, I have used crab pots before and hoop nets are still pretty reliable.

yellas, reddies, cod, silver perch and the stinking carp are all on the chew atm, i'll be going up to stay with my brothers over xmas I only fish dawn or dusk as they always seem to be a bit more active around theses times. You will get heaps of local shrimp/yabbies and they are the best bait at this time of year. If its quiet in echuca Head out to torrumabarry and fish the top the bigger irrigation channels on headworks road.
There is also a big fish ladder at torumbarry weir is worth a look. And you can fish a few hundred meters below the outlet. take my word for it i have pulled some massive yellas around this area over the years.

just a few tips from a former local :D

jackwoodhouse

Post by jackwoodhouse » Sun Dec 21, 2014 4:41 pm

thanks mate, and yeah ill probly use the yabbies you mentioned and flick a few lures at echuca, if nothings around i might head down to torumbarry and see if there any action down there, cheers

Return to “Wanted”