Used fishing kayak

New topics can only be created by Premium Members in the Classifieds.
GONE FISHING

Re: Used fishing kayak

Post by GONE FISHING » Wed Feb 10, 2016 11:43 am

For the bays I would not go less than 12ft.

I started with a 2.9m yak and quickly learnt this is not designed for the bay

Finnigan

Post by Finnigan » Wed Feb 10, 2016 11:50 am

GONE FISHING wrote:For the bays I would not go less than 12ft.

I started with a 2.9m yak and quickly learnt this is not designed for the bay
Sounds like solid advice to me, you probably saved me a bit of time and money there. Much appreciated.
You know what you'd rather be doinnnn

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Wed Feb 10, 2016 11:54 am

I'd be inclined to hold out for another Kingfisher if you can't increase your budget. For the money they are probably the best yak around and they come on sale fairly often.

Have you joined a forum like VYak? People sell them there from time to time.
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

GONE FISHING

Post by GONE FISHING » Wed Feb 10, 2016 12:05 pm

I have a yak for sale. It's a second yak and although it is surplus I didn't want to sell but wife nagging me.

PM sent

Finnigan

Post by Finnigan » Wed Feb 10, 2016 12:15 pm

4liters wrote:I'd be inclined to hold out for another Kingfisher if you can't increase your budget. For the money they are probably the best yak around and they come on sale fairly often.

Yeah I've got the time to wait for the right yak to pop up, no problem there. I'll join up now. :thumbsup: Seems all gumtree has to offer are Ebay yaks. I was losing hope :o_0:
You know what you'd rather be doinnnn

cheaterparts
Has liked: 4 times

Post by cheaterparts » Wed Feb 10, 2016 1:33 pm

4liters wrote:I'd be inclined to hold out for another Kingfisher if you can't increase your budget. For the money they are probably the best yak around and they come on sale fairly often.

as 4liters has said it's worth keeping an eye out for a kingfisher or something else in that length range - a prowler 4.5 ( older model )
which I think 4liters uses himself come up sometimes at fairly good prices

myself I wouldn't wont to use anything under 4 meters in length the reason is safety

cruse speed on any under 3 meter yak will be at best 3 kph I know the Kingfisher is around 5.5 kph both on flat carm water
my prowler 4.3 cruses at around 6.5 - 7 kph - the older 4.5 will be around the same speed
now change that to a head wind or into a tide flow that 2.5 kph difference may be the difference in making progress or not

once the wave action gets bigger forward progress on the shorter yaks go down hill much faster that a longer yak that will track far better

as a matter of interest you can still but brand new wavedance kingfishers for around $ 850 from the kayak shop which isn't much dearer than when I bought one 6 years ago

http://www.kayakshopaustralia.com.au/wa ... ingfisher/
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm - Elephant fish 85 Cm - Snapper 91 Cm - KG Whiting 49 Cm - Flathead 55 Cm - Garfish 47 Cm - Silver Trevally 40 Cm - Long Tail Tuna 86 Cm - snook 64 Cm - Couta 71 Cm - Sth Calamari 44 Cm hood - Cobia 117 cm

Cheater

4liters

Post by 4liters » Wed Feb 10, 2016 1:47 pm

If you can bump up your budget there are a heap more S/H options in that $1000-$1500 range. Mine (4.5 Prowler) was $1400 S/H with a sounder and a bunch of other stuff and it is a really good kayak apart from the somewhat outdated storage layout. There's a similar yak still for sale (i think) on VYak, a 4.5m fully kitted out Cobra Tourer for $1200.

Echoing what Cheater said, a 4m kayak is the minimum length for fishing on the bays imo; it is so much easier to get from point A to point B, which gives you a lot more flexibility with where you fish and what you fish for, and is a lot safer.
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm

cheaterparts
Has liked: 4 times

Post by cheaterparts » Wed Feb 10, 2016 1:57 pm

4liters wrote:Echoing what Cheater said, a 4m kayak is the minimum length for fishing on the bays imo; it is so much easier to get from point A to point B,
and more to the point getting from point "B" back to point "A" when things go pear shaped like when the weather tricks you - and it will
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm - Elephant fish 85 Cm - Snapper 91 Cm - KG Whiting 49 Cm - Flathead 55 Cm - Garfish 47 Cm - Silver Trevally 40 Cm - Long Tail Tuna 86 Cm - snook 64 Cm - Couta 71 Cm - Sth Calamari 44 Cm hood - Cobia 117 cm

Cheater

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Wed Feb 10, 2016 3:34 pm

I was just looking at the aquanami jet kayaks... Looked nice with all the fishing accessories and lay out and with a top speed of 25 knots but then saw the price lol

4liters

Post by 4liters » Wed Feb 10, 2016 3:38 pm

cheaterparts wrote:
4liters wrote:Echoing what Cheater said, a 4m kayak is the minimum length for fishing on the bays imo; it is so much easier to get from point A to point B,
and more to the point getting from point "B" back to point "A" when things go pear shaped like when the weather tricks you - and it will
I still have memories of almost breaking a kayak speed record down at Coronet Bay to get back in as thunder was rumbling all around me :o_0:

Return to “Wanted”