Are Kayaks worth it?

GONE FISHING

Re: Are Kayaks worth it?

Post by GONE FISHING » Sun Aug 31, 2014 11:40 pm

I have both. A small boat and a yak.

I've used both in the bay and here is my theory:

My boat is a poly boat (plastic) and obviously so is the yak.

The boat allows you to cover a lot more distance in shorter time and also getting to your spot quicker if you need to go further out wide.

My boat has very little maintenance. Trailer is a 6x4 and is not registered (not needed) and Rego for boat is $30 or so. Maintenance on motor is about $130 a year and I pay per ramp usage about $17

A lot of people say a yak is easy to set up to launch but I can tell you from my own experience a yak takes a lot longer to set up and launch than a boat. My boat has all the gear already in it, just drop it in the water and go.

The yak needs to be set up including rods, flag, seat, esky, etc before heading out while on the beach. I love the sport but you have to determine what is more important to you, launching anywhere at your own pace, or more space and speed?

They are both different and great in their own right but serve a different purpose

GONE FISHING

Post by GONE FISHING » Sun Aug 31, 2014 11:42 pm

One other note: if you want to give it a shot (kayak fishing) start with a second hand one but make sure it's a known brand. Stay away from eBay Chinese knock offs.

If you buy second hand and find its not for you, you could sell it and get most if not all your money back.

Cheers

Abuthen

Post by Abuthen » Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:46 pm

GONE FISHING wrote: My boat is a poly boat (plastic) and obviously so is the yak.
Have you sold that little boat yet?
Abuthen

Blue
Has liked: 35 times

Post by Blue » Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:19 pm

I imaGine your level of physical fitness would play a part in your decision, or is that a given?
To find a fish
You do the miles.
Catch the fish
and earn the smiles.

Lord,allow me to catch a fish, so large that even I,when speaking of it afterwards.........May have no need to lie !!!

bowl
Has liked: 292 times

Post by bowl » Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:22 pm

Kayaks ,the bicycle of the sea..... :-o. :haha2:
To many boats kayak, helicopter , catch a fish,catch a fish

cheaterparts
Has liked: 4 times

Post by cheaterparts » Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:42 pm

Blue wrote:I imaGine your level of physical fitness would play a part in your decision, or is that a given?
kayak paddling is very low impact and a very good exersize - the more you do it the better your match fitness gets

there are days we can cover 20 or more Km in a days fishing on Westernport and sit out on kayaks for 10 or more hours
this is not for every one and it's also something that you build up to
most when they start think a 5 km trip is a long way
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm - Elephant fish 85 Cm - Snapper 91 Cm - KG Whiting 49 Cm - Flathead 55 Cm - Garfish 47 Cm - Silver Trevally 40 Cm - Long Tail Tuna 86 Cm - snook 64 Cm - Couta 71 Cm - Sth Calamari 44 Cm hood - Cobia 117 cm

Cheater

GONE FISHING

Post by GONE FISHING » Wed Sep 03, 2014 12:14 am

Abuthen wrote:
GONE FISHING wrote: My boat is a poly boat (plastic) and obviously so is the yak.
Have you sold that little boat yet?
No, although it's not advertised on anywhere apart from 2 forums.

I've been told to sell, reluctantly. If I don't get the price I want I'll finish it off and use it in conjuction with the yak. It's a little beast :D

wilj

Post by wilj » Thu Apr 30, 2015 7:54 am

Yes, kayaks are definitely worth it! As others have said, there is something very special about landing a fish from a kayak. There is also something very basic and natural about it. A totally different experience than fishing from a tinny or bigger boat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FishnMiss
Has liked: 10 times

Post by FishnMiss » Thu Apr 30, 2015 8:15 am

Yak fishing is teally awesome. I don't get out on mine as much for various reasons.
But landing a fish is such fun.
Once you got the right yak for you, you can have it rigged and ready to go just like a boat. So to some degree I don't agree with someone's post here about setting it up. Also there are also more launching spots & options than a boat and so far I've never paid a $ to launch.
Yes there are pro's & cons to each.
Personally I'm happy to avoid the ramp rage that can happen and the presure to launch & get out the way.
My Kayak launching & fishing is relaxing stress free & when & where I want.
Having said that you may prefer a boat so you can run around or get to your spots quicker.
Although not as fast you can also do the lazy yak & get an electric motor.
All up though a yak is way cheaper to buy, set up & operate & if you look after it will get a good return on your money.
" For Evil to triumph, all that Good people have to do is - Nothing "

drewb

Post by drewb » Thu Apr 30, 2015 8:32 am

Mornington boat hire also hires hobies if you want to try before you buy.

Return to “Kayak Fishing”