fri the 12th and sun the 14th on Westernport

cheaterparts
Has liked: 4 times

fri the 12th and sun the 14th on Westernport

Post by cheaterparts » Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:40 pm

Friday night after work I with a couple of mates did a bit of a late one out from Grantville heading out and parking in Tenby Channel not that far back from its mouth

However bugger all was caught apart from WEED and small gummies - I got 4 I think and they all swam away to grow some more
I broke 1 fishing rod as I didn't see that one of these gummies was tangled with 2 lines - in the dark I didn't notice that I was bending the tip around while that rod was still in the holder ,so when I grabed the leader to pull the gummy in I heard snap -- thats life !

We headed in and were off the water around 1 am sat morning , nothing to show for it but it was a nice night on the water

I didn't fish Sat although I had planed to do another late one but looking at the tides it was going to be quite late before I could get back in , after 2 am
So instead I did an afternoon trip to Coronet bay Sunday 14/9/14 my first thought were for some squidly doodles but the water was very dirty which would have made that hard work
I tryed trolling but the lure caught weed quite quickly so it was time to anchor and soak some bait

The first rod I set was an 8 kg set up with 1/2 a saury as bait as I was getting my whiting rods ready I heard the drag scream and the rod tip was in the water
this was interesting first I thought I had a good size gummy as after a good run with the tide it turned and was coming back , then it kept going straight toward the anchor rope
lucky it didn't go around the rope and it was back under the yak then it took off again with more speed it seamed wrong till it jumped out of the water - that then made sence Eddie the Eagle Ray was taking me on a ride
it was quite some time to get it close enought to cut the leader and my guess it was 90 to 100 cm across -- gee these things punch well above there weight
anyway I also picked up a couple of whiting to 43 cm a couple of silver trevs to 32 and a bit cm a couta and a heap of Yakkas

I had chucked my Nav night on as I intended to head out wider and sit out for a while but I have run out of pickled fish at home .so it was off home to fillet and skin a heap of Yakkas

so the yakkas and trevs are sitting in Vinegar Brine now
and I have fresh KGW to chow down on tonight
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm - Elephant fish 85 Cm - Snapper 91 Cm - KG Whiting 49 Cm - Flathead 55 Cm - Garfish 47 Cm - Silver Trevally 40 Cm - Long Tail Tuna 86 Cm - snook 64 Cm - Couta 71 Cm - Sth Calamari 44 Cm hood - Cobia 117 cm

Cheater

adtrac

Re: fri the 12th and sun the 14th on Westernport

Post by adtrac » Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:42 pm

Hey Cheater,
I remember you mentioning the brine on the Reeves Beach trip, how would salmon go in it do you think?

cheaterparts
Has liked: 4 times

Post by cheaterparts » Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:49 pm

adtrac wrote:Hey Cheater,
I remember you mentioning the brine on the Reeves Beach trip, how would salmon go in it do you think?
I did Salmon first and it works realy well

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=5383" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I chucked up my recipe in the above post

I have tried Salmon - trevs and yakkas finding all work well

Couta turned out very tough and I also tried Mullet but it wasn't as good ether
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm - Elephant fish 85 Cm - Snapper 91 Cm - KG Whiting 49 Cm - Flathead 55 Cm - Garfish 47 Cm - Silver Trevally 40 Cm - Long Tail Tuna 86 Cm - snook 64 Cm - Couta 71 Cm - Sth Calamari 44 Cm hood - Cobia 117 cm

Cheater

barra mick
Has liked: 26 times

Post by barra mick » Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:32 pm

Good read cheater pants
you gotta hav a crack even if yr just pissin in the wind

adtrac

Post by adtrac » Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:41 pm

Thanks cheater ill give it a go.

shazdoggg

Post by shazdoggg » Mon Sep 15, 2014 11:48 pm

Hey cheater you did you launch at like 6am on sunday morning from out balnarring way? Thought I saw someone who looked like you paddling over to french island.
When I got time,
I wet a line cos Im a junkie,
been fishin since a kid,
I like it cos it numbs me..

CarlG
Has liked: 1 time

Post by CarlG » Tue Sep 16, 2014 5:37 am

Nice work Cheater..we did an early am session Sunday, my mate Terry picked up one red, going 5.5kg...missed a couple of others, so it seems to be hotting up slowly..

Return to “Kayak Fishing”