Fish finder putting transducer in kayak

Wombatroo

Fish finder putting transducer in kayak

Post by Wombatroo » Wed Dec 17, 2014 9:58 pm

I am putting a fish finder in my yak. I am not sure about mounting the transducer to the bottom. I am planning to travel with the yak on the roof of my car for a few months. I would like to be able to remove it. Has anyone set one up that can be removed?
Thanks Tarnia

cheaterparts
Has liked: 4 times

Re: Fish finder putting transducer in kayak

Post by cheaterparts » Thu Dec 18, 2014 6:06 am

Wombatroo wrote:I am putting a fish finder in my yak. I am not sure about mounting the transducer to the bottom. I am planning to travel with the yak on the roof of my car for a few months. I would like to be able to remove it. Has anyone set one up that can be removed?
Thanks Tarnia
Tarnia you have a few options with the transducer -- first and quite common is to fit it inside the hull in ether a wet mount or stuck to the hull with all clear - both are not realy removable but out of harms way for roof topping
also both these systems the tranducer does not produce drag
and I know you had a short kayak from AKFF so any extra drag will make it slower

A few of the hobie guys run the sounders and tranducers as a clip on the side set up , not as good for us paddling types though
I'm sure you could fit ether a scotty mount , a ram ball or a star port mount somewhere out of the way of your paddle stroke
then make up a bracket to hold the tranducer that clips onto this mount , that way you could remove it when time to transport

heres a few ideas on youtube

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... kayak&aq=f" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm - Elephant fish 85 Cm - Snapper 91 Cm - KG Whiting 49 Cm - Flathead 55 Cm - Garfish 47 Cm - Silver Trevally 40 Cm - Long Tail Tuna 86 Cm - snook 64 Cm - Couta 71 Cm - Sth Calamari 44 Cm hood - Cobia 117 cm

Cheater

Murlz
Has liked: 60 times

Post by Murlz » Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:27 am

I have mine in the hull with all clear and it works fine. I have seen transducer mounts that fit into the scupper holes and can be removed. I have not used them myself but they could be an option for you.
You Tube is your friend!! :thumbsup:
Murlz
“I have fished through fishless days that I remember happily without regret.”

Wombatroo

Post by Wombatroo » Mon Dec 22, 2014 4:24 pm

Thanks guys,
I think that the hull mount is probably going to be the best. Just wanted to have all my options before I stuck it down for good. Thank you for taking the time to help me. Tarnia

Abuthen

Post by Abuthen » Mon Dec 22, 2014 6:29 pm

If u stick it in-hull, it need not be clear. But clear is good so u can see bubbles in the silicon. U dun want that. Wet mounts can be pretty removable. Use putty/plasticine type that's malleable, create a crater with enough height so u can press the top bits inward to hold the transducer. For outside mount, Eco makes one (u can get from bcf) that has the fish finder holder and arms that flip down the side for yr transducer. Or make yr own.
Abuthen

tommyfishunter

Post by tommyfishunter » Fri Mar 06, 2015 8:23 am

For mounting a transducer in the hull, what do you guys recommend. I was thinking getting some foam cutting out a hole to wedge the transducer in there using silicon on the bottom to keep it in place.

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Fri Mar 06, 2015 10:28 am

I'm guessing going through the hull means you loose water temp reading on the fish finder? ?? Not that it matters really but.

cheaterparts
Has liked: 4 times

Post by cheaterparts » Fri Mar 06, 2015 11:23 am

tommyfishunter wrote:For mounting a transducer in the hull, what d!ropes and shet anchor o you guys recommend. I was thinking getting some foam cutting out a hole to wedge the transducer in there using silicon on the bottom to keep it in place.
my fish finders transducer on my first kayak was just put in all clear - a quick rough up to the area with some coarse sand paper and cleaned off with some white spirts
then a puddle of allclear was squirted onto the area keeping the nozzle in the puddle as I squeezed it out ( no bubbles )
then just sat the trany in the puddle wiggled it down and proped the trany in place till the allclear went off

that is still in the hull 5 years later

my replacement sounders since on that yak hung off a bracket in the water but both systems have advantages
the one in the water gets water temps and the one in the hull doesn't get anchor ropes and sh!t tangled around it

most of the newer better named kayaks have a scupper mount for the transducer these days that gives the best of both worlds
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm - Elephant fish 85 Cm - Snapper 91 Cm - KG Whiting 49 Cm - Flathead 55 Cm - Garfish 47 Cm - Silver Trevally 40 Cm - Long Tail Tuna 86 Cm - snook 64 Cm - Couta 71 Cm - Sth Calamari 44 Cm hood - Cobia 117 cm

Cheater

tommyfishunter

Post by tommyfishunter » Fri Mar 06, 2015 11:37 am

cheaterparts wrote:
tommyfishunter wrote:For mounting a transducer in the hull, what d!ropes and shet anchor o you guys recommend. I was thinking getting some foam cutting out a hole to wedge the transducer in there using silicon on the bottom to keep it in place.
my fish finders transducer on my first kayak was just put in all clear - a quick rough up to the area with some coarse sand paper and cleaned off with some white spirts
then a puddle of allclear was squirted onto the area keeping the nozzle in the puddle as I squeezed it out ( no bubbles )
then just sat the trany in the puddle wiggled it down and proped the trany in place till the allclear went off

that is still in the hull 5 years later

my replacement sounders since on that yak hung off a bracket in the water but both systems have advantages
the one in the water gets water temps and the one in the hull doesn't get anchor ropes and sh!t tangled around it

most of the newer better named kayaks have a scupper mount for the transducer these days that gives the best of both worlds

I'd rather have it in the hull not too worried about water temperature. Yeah might not even bother about the foam. Cheers for the help mate.

wokka1

Post by wokka1 » Fri Mar 06, 2015 11:56 am

You're only ever going to get surface water temps anyway whichever way you mount the tranny so in hull gives you a reasonably accurate reading once the hull equalises with the water around it. If the day is warmer than the water the reading will be a little high as the hull warms. If the air temp is lower than the water the reading might be a couple degrees lower. The time it takes to equalise varies depending on the hull size and thickness etc.

Return to “Kayak Fishing”