Weekend Report

daaaaavid123

Re: RE: Re: Weekend Report

Post by daaaaavid123 » Fri Jul 03, 2015 12:43 pm

cheaterparts wrote:
daaaaavid123 wrote:Thanks cheaterparts, will give it a go.

Wind a tide were going in the same direction today. Was drifting at 1.2km/h. Too quick for my jig to sink.

What time of year to the squid really start to fire up?
Squid are all year round - from now to early spring though they do get bigger as they breed when the water warms up
so by early spring most squid are 10 - 12 months old --- Squid only live for 12 months

you could cast in front of your drift
Cheaterparts,

I'm wanting to chaise some massive squid this weekend from Western Port. I have been told to head down to Warneet and head towards the muscle farm.

Is this the way to go?

Given its a NW wind on Saturday is there anything I shoukd watch out for or do I aim for a run out tide to keep it flat?

Thanks

David

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

cheaterparts
Has liked: 4 times

Re: RE: Re: Weekend Report

Post by cheaterparts » Fri Jul 03, 2015 8:08 pm

daaaaavid123 wrote:I'm wanting to chaise some massive squid this weekend from Western Port. I have been told to head down to Warneet and head towards the muscle farm.

Is this the way to go?

Given its a NW wind on Saturday is there anything I should watch out for or do I aim for a run out tide to keep it flat?

Thanks

David

Mussel farm ? -- if you head out from Warnett you will be heading for Quail bank out the front of Quail Island
just head out the channel ( about 2.5 km ) and turn right outside the mangroves toward hastings all along the front of Quail Island is weedy areas
and good squid grounds

http://webapp.navionics.com/#@11&key=rbmhFe%7BzuZ

I must say NW winds can be a pain in the bum for your return trip back along the Warnett Channel ( that a direct head wind )
also if you return after 3 pm on sat or 4 pm sunday you have a run out tide that will also work against you

I know your new to this kayak caper so don't know what your match fitness is like - tide flows and wind do take a little getting use to

a small hint though is that tide flow less in shallower water so if you have to move against the tide if possible stay out of the channel and in shallower water off the edge of the channel

remember that tide flows are a lot greater than PPB
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm - Elephant fish 85 Cm - Snapper 91 Cm - KG Whiting 49 Cm - Flathead 55 Cm - Garfish 47 Cm - Silver Trevally 40 Cm - Long Tail Tuna 86 Cm - snook 64 Cm - Couta 71 Cm - Sth Calamari 44 Cm hood - Cobia 117 cm

Cheater

daaaaavid123

Re: Weekend Report

Post by daaaaavid123 » Fri Jul 03, 2015 10:51 pm

My match fitness alright. I'm reasonably fit and move furniture for a living. It saves me having to go to the gym.

Will see how the weather holds up tomorrow morning and if it's alright I will head down to Warneet. Is there a depth of water that I should target?

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

cheaterparts

Post by cheaterparts » Sat Jul 04, 2015 9:28 am

daaaaavid123 wrote:Will see how the weather holds up tomorrow morning and if it's alright I will head down to Warneet. Is there a depth of water that I should target?
Match fitness and over all fitness aren't quite the same thing - you will use other mussels from what you would normally use and heading out in WP is some times like doing twice the distance you will on PPB

So your little 10 + km return trip from Warneett will be a lot like a 20 km trip around the north end of PPB

That being said there's only one way to build up to it and thats do the miles

just a small funny experience I had myself only a couple of weeks back , I pedaled a hobie for the first time ( a revo 13 ) and my legs were buggered in a very short time and at a much slower pase than I can paddle ( and I hear all the time how easy they are to pedal )
5 years of paddling has built up my back and although my paddle stroke is not perfect it's something I'm quite use to

at a guess at only 6 km I was done in with only a couple of hundred meters Legs burning yet under paddle on my own craft I can hold 6.5 kph quite easy for an hour or more

as for squid You should try anywhere there food source is and that could be any depth but I would start anywhere between 1.2 and 5 meters and of cause they are found deeper
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm - Elephant fish 85 Cm - Snapper 91 Cm - KG Whiting 49 Cm - Flathead 55 Cm - Garfish 47 Cm - Silver Trevally 40 Cm - Long Tail Tuna 86 Cm - snook 64 Cm - Couta 71 Cm - Sth Calamari 44 Cm hood - Cobia 117 cm

Cheater

DougieK
Has liked: 30 times

Post by DougieK » Sat Jul 04, 2015 9:35 am

cheaterparts wrote: That being said there's only one way to build up to it and thats do the miles
If you guys are interested I can link up a mostly bodyweight based strength program that I recommend to a lot of my Martial Arts students who dont' have the money or time to lift weights but still want to get stronger. It's more power based but still useful if you've got 45 mins three days a week and want improve.
Chasing LBG and sharing a love for the Martial Arts, everywhere, all the time.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Kingfish : 61

cheaterparts

Post by cheaterparts » Sat Jul 04, 2015 10:40 am

DougieK wrote:
cheaterparts wrote: That being said there's only one way to build up to it and thats do the miles
If you guys are interested I can link up a mostly bodyweight based strength program that I recommend to a lot of my Martial Arts students who dont' have the money or time to lift weights but still want to get stronger. It's more power based but still useful if you've got 45 mins three days a week and want improve.
Thanks Dougie but I would break these days if I did to much exersize ( I'm getting old and Feeble ) - I'll stick to paddling low impact and lifts the heart rare enough
My kayak PBs

Cheater

DougieK
Has liked: 30 times

Post by DougieK » Sat Jul 04, 2015 10:45 am

cheaterparts wrote:low impact and lifts the heart rare enough
0 impact and scales from 'never done any excersize' to 'i train 6 days a week for the last 20 years'
Chasing LBG and sharing a love for the Martial Arts, everywhere, all the time.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Kingfish : 61

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Sat Jul 04, 2015 8:36 pm

cheaterparts wrote:
DougieK wrote:
Thanks Dougie but I would break these days if I did to much exersize ( I'm getting old and Feeble ) - I'll stick to paddling low impact and lifts the heart rare enough
Weight/resistance training is one of the best things you can do to look after your body as you get older fyi
Its really good for stuff like arthritis and bone density. Just make sure you use good form, try to train your whole body evenly (e.g. don't do heaps of chest and ignore your back) and don't push yourself too hard if you're worried about getting injured.
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

cheaterparts

Post by cheaterparts » Sun Jul 05, 2015 11:38 am

4liters wrote:
cheaterparts wrote:
DougieK wrote:
Weight/resistance training is one of the best things you can do to look after your body as you get older fyi
Its really good for stuff like arthritis and bone density. Just make sure you use good form, try to train your whole body evenly (e.g. don't do heaps of chest and ignore your back) and don't push yourself too hard if you're worried about getting injured.
I have no dout you are right and yes back in the eighties I did a lot of weight training more for the sport I was in at the time These days by the time I get home from work ( which is at times quite heavy work ) any outside exersize program would be the last thing on my mind

however to get back to what I was pointing out to David - fitness and match fitness are different things , paddling or pedaling at kayak uses different mussel groups to most other trianing
covering say 5 km Warnett to say the eagle ( return trip into a head wind and maybe a run off tide )
myself that would take around an hour maybe a bit less -- an inexperienced paddler could easy take twice that maybe more

So how fit would you think you would need to be to paddle hard for 2 hours with out a break -- I know I can if need be and at about 6.5 kph most new guys can't ( trust me I fish with a lot of new guys much younger and fitter than me that don't keep up )

We as kayak fishos are fishermen first and kayakers second as a rule , so have bad form and paddling technique then use mussel groups we don't normally train
miles on the water and over time you build up to greater distances - picking up your paddling technique helps you last longer all part of match fitness

The real scary thing is when you see the new guys that buy a cheap bad designed kayak that doesn't track and is so slow that even a good paddler would get in trouble
My kayak PBs

Cheater

Return to “Kayak Fishing”