Fishing Kayak

Mick.S

Re: Fishing Kayak

Post by Mick.S » Sat Nov 10, 2012 8:10 pm

Nice one....so for Port Philip Bay fishing, or Western Port, is PA well suited, given its weight especially if you want to cover fair bit of ground instead of say just dropping the anchor and bait fishing??

Also, if fishing western port, how efficient is PA in strong currents?

Linc

Post by Linc » Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:21 am

It's not hard to move the PA along at a decent walking pace for quite some time, you won't break any water speed records but you'd be surprised how far you can go if you have just an average fitness level.

Bartnmax

Post by Bartnmax » Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:56 am

How efficient is it against current?
Well let's put it this way, if ya can;t do oit in a Hobie then you're most likely not going to do it in anything else either.
The advantage of the Hobie (& a couple of others also such as the Native Water Craft Mariner) is that you can also fit a mast & hoist sail to assist with travelling against current, etc.
The NWC is also a 'pedal' yak 'cept where the Hobie has fins the NWC has a prop.
NWC are also a touch cheaper but still up there as far as budget is concerned.
Between the two I favour the Hobie but the NWC is still a damned good yak.

Linc

Post by Linc » Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:15 pm

You also have the option of paddling while peddling if you need an extra boost, though the hobie PA is a touch wide to paddle comfortably for any period of time, I only ever used the paddle with in really shallow water where I couldn't drop the fins.

For the bay, I felt very comfortable in the PA even when it got a bit choppy, if you're talking about going some distance from the shore, you don't want to be in too small a yak just incase things do turn for the worst as it can so quickly in our bays, but it also depends on how much adventure you're looking for :)

Mick.S

Post by Mick.S » Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:33 pm

Thanks very much guys, following your feedback and comments as well as my own research and few video tube clips from rhino, I'm now sold on a PA. :thumbsup:

I do understand that they are way passed my current budget, and now my budget is $3000, but I would be looking for a fully set up PA, so I will keep an eye on ebay.

Before spending any money, I'm planning to do couple of trips in the hire kayak and do some soft plastic fishing with basic gear on board and see how it goes!!

Bartnmax

Post by Bartnmax » Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:44 am

My own preference is for the Hobie PA but I'd also encourage you to take a look at the Native Water Craft Mariner as well as their Ultimate Propel Angler. Check em out here http://nativewatercraft.com/boat_overview.cfm
These are damned fine yaks with a pedal powered prop that can also be paddled/sailed & has a range of top class options available. If budget is a worry then they are a bit cheaper than the Hobie PA & are still damned good yaks.

Mick.S

Post by Mick.S » Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:05 am

Hi Bartnmax

Thanks for the links, they are fine looking kayaks. I will do some research and if I can will visit one of the retail shops that sells, them, be nice to see the damn thing in real :)

Taleb

delete

Post by Taleb » Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:57 pm

delete
Last edited by Taleb on Thu May 23, 2019 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bartnmax

Post by Bartnmax » Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:55 am

Yeah Ocean Kayaks have a very enviable rep with many of the serious offshore yak fishos.
Definitely top quality gear but also not pedal powered either.
Basically they're paddle or sail.

Mick.S

Post by Mick.S » Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:16 am

After talking to few guys online that own PAs as well as other kayaks, they say that PAs is very efficient to get around, and to cover 20km on a fishing trip is very doable.

There are few other video clips that I saw, that make the PA attractive to me, and that is the ability to easily climb in when you out in the water.

Return to “Kayak Fishing”