Are Kayaks worth it?

cheaterparts
Has liked: 4 times

Re: Are Kayaks worth it?

Post by cheaterparts » Wed May 13, 2015 5:54 pm

yogibearrrr wrote:rather then starting a new topic, a question as im getting a yak soon.
whats the best clothes to wear for a day with no rain? guessing quick dry clothes with extra layers over it if needed or in winter do you go with a wetsuit?
I started off with a long john wet suit ( a 3 mm kayak/sailing suit with a fly zip ) and dive booties which works well enough in say spring but they are a bit cold to use through Winter

Most guys use proper kayak dry pants over what ever layers you need to stay warm with a good kayak spray jacket

ether Kokatat or Lovigs both are quite good

http://slhobie.com.au/gear/apparel" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; both brands are on this page but any good kayak shop should have the Kokatat gear

I layer up most of the time with just a good pair of thermals under the dry pants

if you sus out http://www.vyak.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=11394" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; there is a heap of info on what to wear

in fact its worth reading through the Safety section over on Vyak if you are getting into kayak fishing
there is a lot of info that could keep you out of trouble -
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm - Elephant fish 85 Cm - Snapper 91 Cm - KG Whiting 49 Cm - Flathead 55 Cm - Garfish 47 Cm - Silver Trevally 40 Cm - Long Tail Tuna 86 Cm - snook 64 Cm - Couta 71 Cm - Sth Calamari 44 Cm hood - Cobia 117 cm

Cheater

cheaterparts
Has liked: 4 times

Post by cheaterparts » Wed May 13, 2015 6:00 pm

cheaterparts wrote:I layer up most of the time with just a good pair of thermals under the dry pants

just to add to my post even with out rain you will get wet from waves splashing over the side -- your paddle even the seat on many fishing kayaks fill with water

so think about sitting in a bucket of water for a few hours then add the winter cold
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm - Elephant fish 85 Cm - Snapper 91 Cm - KG Whiting 49 Cm - Flathead 55 Cm - Garfish 47 Cm - Silver Trevally 40 Cm - Long Tail Tuna 86 Cm - snook 64 Cm - Couta 71 Cm - Sth Calamari 44 Cm hood - Cobia 117 cm

Cheater

blackmagic

Post by blackmagic » Thu May 28, 2015 9:54 pm

Ive owned a dinghy for 2 years and bought a yak last year... Unless you can afford a decent boat youre better off getting a yak. Theyre alot more convenient. i payed 650 for mine in a combo from aquayak it came with life jacket, paddle and leash, trolley which i swapped for soft roof racks and a seat plenty of space and stability good bang for buck and less drama.

FishnMiss
Has liked: 10 times

Post by FishnMiss » Thu May 28, 2015 10:27 pm

I'm keen on a Native slayer Mariner Propel 12.5 but they're not cheap around $3000.00
Has anyone here tried them?
http://www.nativewatercraft.com/boat.cfm?id=24" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hobie with Turbo fin is great, but I like this kayak so you can be able to pedal forward or back (The Hobie can't).
Speed wise I think both are the same and both you can take the drive unit out.
Also good so you have your hands free. I guess it depends what you want to do, but considering your leg muscles are the strongest set of muscles to use to power you it makes sense.
A pity they're so expensive.
" For Evil to triumph, all that Good people have to do is - Nothing "

Finnigan

Post by Finnigan » Fri May 29, 2015 12:29 am

Are there any members that have tried the Ebay fishing kyaks? they go for $300-600. Not sure on the quality though
You know what you'd rather be doinnnn

Longshot

Post by Longshot » Fri May 29, 2015 9:22 am

I have a few mates with Natives, They are a good Kayak.
Exxy, but well thought out. If you dont want to spend the $3000 straight up, keep an eye on Gumtree over Winter. There is always Kayaks being sold due to no use while its cold.

FishnMiss
Has liked: 10 times

Post by FishnMiss » Sat May 30, 2015 11:12 am

Longshot wrote:I have a few mates with Natives, They are a good Kayak.
Exxy, but well thought out. If you dont want to spend the $3000 straight up, keep an eye on Gumtree over Winter. There is always Kayaks being sold due to no use while its cold.
Thanks mate I'll do that.
I do have two sit on top rotational moulded kayaks with storage hatches & ok seats I use to fish or just kayak, but as I'm hoping to get into more yak fishing I like the Hobies and Natives (although I'm strongly leaning towards the Native as they seem really good, good reviews). The Natives secondhand don't come up very often.
" For Evil to triumph, all that Good people have to do is - Nothing "

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Post by cobby » Sat May 30, 2015 11:28 am

Finnigan wrote:Are there any members that have tried the Ebay fishing kyaks? they go for $300-600. Not sure on the quality though
Short, wide and pigs to paddle distances. They're ok for things like squid close to home on flat days or river bashing but you really want something longer and easier to paddle distances if you want to fish the bays

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Post by cobby » Sat May 30, 2015 11:31 am

FishnMiss wrote:
Longshot wrote:I have a few mates with Natives, They are a good Kayak.
Thanks mate I'll do that.
I do have two sit on top rotational moulded kayaks with storage hatches & ok seats I use to fish or just kayak, but as I'm hoping to get into more yak fishing I like the Hobies and Natives (although I'm strongly leaning towards the Native as they seem really good, good reviews). The Natives secondhand don't come up very often.
If I could at the time, I would have 90% gone a native, but they don't do an inflatable model like Hobie. Either one you can't go wrong with. More Hobies second hand because there's more of them out there. Either one is worth the +$2k if you can justify it

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Sun May 31, 2015 6:55 pm

Anyone have any advice for buying a kayak second hand? Things to look for, questions I should ask etc?

What are some decent models I should be on the lookout for? I haven't owned one before but rather than getting a crap model and spending more money upgrading to something better in 6 months I thought I'd get a nice one second hand which will hopefully last me for longer and cost as much as a cheaper one does new.
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

Return to “Kayak Fishing”