http://slhobie.com.au/info/demos" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2015/16 Spec Comp:
Fresh water: Rainbow trout 27cm

FishnMiss
Has liked: 10 times

Re: Are Kayaks worth it?

Post by FishnMiss » Tue Jun 02, 2015 9:35 am

cobby wrote:Call up SLH and find out when they're having their next demo at Mornington. Also Rod Bendings do the same at Inverloch on the inlet if you want to combine it with a day out.

If you're really keen on outriggers, sailing and the like just stump up for an adventure island. Ultimate fishing platform for almost all of Victoria including offshore
Yeah I've seen the vids of the adventure Island but it seems to nose dive too much for my liking.
I used to windsurf heaps but an injury stops me now. I'd love a Hobie cat for sailing the bays and offshore in the high winds but Alas no more :dontknow
I was think the PA or Outback as they will be easier using a sideloader onto roof racks and the sail option to help drive (avoids buying a water snake, Minkota etc or the Hobie evolve drive (around $3000 :whoh: )
I've see Rod benders stuff, who is SLH?
Thanks
" For Evil to triumph, all that Good people have to do is - Nothing "

FishnMiss

Post by FishnMiss » Tue Jun 02, 2015 9:37 am

trebbalzzz wrote:Hey fishnmiss there is a hobie in Mornington, website for demos

http://slhobie.com.au/info/demos" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks Trebbalzz I'll check them out :thumbsup:

trebbalzzz

Post by trebbalzzz » Tue Jun 02, 2015 9:45 am

No problem, thanks for all the info in Mornington pier

2015/16 Spec Comp:
Fresh water: Rainbow trout 27cm

Longshot

Post by Longshot » Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:01 am

In my personal Opinion, the Pro Angler is a barge. Its big, heavy and slow. I had a day recently on Shallow Inlet when the wind came up, the Outback, Adventure and Native guys all had a ball smashing through the waves into the headwind, the 2 ProAngler guys beached and dragged them for 1 and a half kays up the sand. Not a good advertisement. They are really designed as a flat bottom bass boat for American inland waters. Don't even consider taking one offshore.
The Outback is a good allrounder, and the 2015 model with the new seat is amazing. It is still a heavy yak though, just on this side of 30kgs. The 3 main Hobie Yak sellers are AKS in Moolap (Geelong) Scott Lovig Hobie (SLH Mornington) and Rod Bendings world (Inverloch)
I've had dealings with all 3 over the years, and although SLH is the closest to me by some hours, I'd still put them 3rd on my list.

mazman
Has liked: 137 times

Post by mazman » Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:40 am

agree and disagree with longshot, personally i feel the PA's are too big but i wouldn't say they are useless offshore.
http://www.vyak.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=98&t=20085
edit: not sure if i'm allowed to link to another forum mods feel free to remove
Youtube channel:Hawkesy Fishing

Longshot

Post by Longshot » Tue Jun 02, 2015 11:12 am

I've seen Shanes post on Vyak, and he landed some very good Fish. Once offshore I'm sure its stable as ever.
However how the hell would you get it through the waves, unless you had a bay launch, No chance. I'd love to see a video of someone coming back in and trying to surf a wave to shore :)

mazman
Has liked: 137 times

Post by mazman » Tue Jun 02, 2015 11:26 am

He surf launches and retrieves in it. Might be worth asking him to get someone to record him.
Youtube channel:Hawkesy Fishing

Longshot

Post by Longshot » Tue Jun 02, 2015 11:44 am

mazman wrote:He surf launches and retrieves in it. Might be worth asking him to get someone to record him.
Excellent :)

FishnMiss

Post by FishnMiss » Tue Jun 02, 2015 2:16 pm

I've seen a couple of video's of people stacking a PA coming in on the surf, but like any kayak that was because they weren't using their oar to track the wave so the ended going side on and tumbling.
Then again in all honesty I have seen way way more blokes stacking good surf kayaks because they didn't know how to track with the wave.
So yes it's not as agile as a lightweight fibreglass surf yak or a rotomoulded "surf" but it depends what you want.
Also who knows how fit or confident the 2 blokes were who dragged their Yaks???
If there's too much chop I'm not going out to sea on any kayak, 20 years ago I would have done it. I've kayaked in the sea and windsurfed but my situation is different these days.
If the wind and chop is up you wouldn't even find blokes in their big Barcrushers out in the sea or the bay unless they're bigger commercial rigs.
I was on a big charter in PPB last year that holds 50 people and when the wind got around 15knots (which I'd still be in on my yak) they high tailed it back to base. If it got higher sure I'd be gone, but lets face it 90% of kayakers and boaters want no wind or a light breeze under 10 Knots.
I know the PA is heavy and bulky (I think about 44Kg's base) but you learn to time the waves if you're heading off the beach. Make sure everything is secure so you can give you full attention to what you're doing. It pays to be fit, alert, knowledgeable about your area, weather, tides, swell, not timid and know your and your equipments limits. And of course that includes having the best safety gear you can afford. Practice rolling your kayak and righting it and re-entry with your full gear on etc etc

Anyway as I said earlier I like to do my research and I'm keen to take up your suggestion to try them, it sounds like Rodbender down Inverloch is the go? It's a big investment all round of finances, time and long term enjoyment so I'm doing my homework now.

Return to “Kayak Fishing”