Are Kayaks worth it?

Dano

Are Kayaks worth it?

Post by Dano » Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:52 pm

Should I get a tinny or a kayak? tinny would require annual maintenance which would probably cost $1k correct me if im wrong. kayaks are very limiting. its easy to capsize, ive seen alot of idiots in boats going really fast past kayakers and capsizing them. going out far or at night is very risky. out of curiosity, how many of you guys have been capsized?

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Re: Are Kayaks worth it?

Post by Nude up » Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:01 pm

I have a boat never been capsized hard to see where $1000 of maintenance would go on a tinny as for a canoe there great out in 20 knot winds through the heads no insurance no ramp fees no trailer no lights no worries

Dano

Post by Dano » Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:20 pm

Nude up wrote:I have a boat never been capsized hard to see where $1000 of maintenance would go on a tinny as for a canoe there great out in 20 knot winds through the heads no insurance no ramp fees no trailer no lights no worries
how much would you say a tinny costs annually?

bowl
Has liked: 292 times

Post by bowl » Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:29 pm

Dano wrote:
Nude up wrote:I have a boat never been capsized hard to see where $1000 of maintenance would go on a tinny as for a canoe there great out in 20 knot winds through the heads no insurance no ramp fees no trailer no lights no worries
Boat n trailer rego 130$
Annual local ramp fee 90 $ or 17 single visit.
around 200$ for motor service n trailer check...
how much u got to spend on boat or yak
To many boats kayak, helicopter , catch a fish,catch a fish

DougieK
Has liked: 30 times

Post by DougieK » Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:36 pm

$1500 can buy you a premium used kayak or a very good new one. for $1500 for a tinny, trailer etc you're only going to get problems.

I would take a kayak 100% of the time, can launch them from almost anywhere, no petrol no noise no fees no service. More limited than a tinny but also way way way less troube.
Chasing LBG and sharing a love for the Martial Arts, everywhere, all the time.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Kingfish : 61

cheaterparts
Has liked: 4 times

Post by cheaterparts » Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:40 pm

Dano wrote:Should I get a tinny or a kayak? tinny would require annual maintenance which would probably cost $1k correct me if im wrong. kayaks are very limiting. its easy to capsize, ive seen alot of idiots in boats going really fast past kayakers and capsizing them. going out far or at night is very risky. out of curiosity, how many of you guys have been capsized?
Dano it's hard question if you should get a tinny or a kayak there are pros and cons for each

Both boats and jet skiers can be a problem at times ,however the wake off a boat is little bother realy
and not near enough to tip a good fishing kayak
remember that a lot of good fishing kayaks have been designed to head out through a surf zone off an ocean beach - these waves are far bigger than a boat wake
Most fishing kayaks are a sit on top design so any waves that come over the side or front does not swap the yak it just drains out

going out at night and heading a long distance out also has its risks but like any form of water craft you need to limit the risks as much as possable

as for falling in I have twice - first time was early on in the kayak fishing I lost my balance and took a dip
it was in 12 meters of water
I just turned the kayak up the right way and got back on - not realy a problem
and the second was coming into a beach with a shore break after dark and got caught out and dumped right at the beach
again not realy a problem

There have been very few week ends over the last 4 years that I haven't kayak fished thats right through the year and I feel they are quite a safe way to fish
they are however not for everyone so you will need to make up your own mind if they are for you

so are they worth it my first Kayak cost me $ 800 + a few thing to fit it out about anouther $400
that with no on going costs ( Rego - Boat Ramp Fees - Fuel )
take that over 4 years it's a pretty cheap fishing platform

my new kayak cost quite a bit more but again its cheaper than a boat and I catch my fair share from it
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm - Elephant fish 85 Cm - Snapper 91 Cm - KG Whiting 49 Cm - Flathead 55 Cm - Garfish 47 Cm - Silver Trevally 40 Cm - Long Tail Tuna 86 Cm - snook 64 Cm - Couta 71 Cm - Sth Calamari 44 Cm hood - Cobia 117 cm

Cheater

bowl
Has liked: 292 times

Post by bowl » Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:43 pm

bowl wrote:
Dano wrote:
Boat n trailer rego 130$
Annual local ramp fee 90 $ or 17 single visit.
around 200$ for motor service n trailer check...
how much u got to spend on boat or yak
If you get tinny for bay get one 4.4 or bigger..
i would love to.get a yak as well but physcialy can't.
To many boats kayak, helicopter , catch a fish,catch a fish

Lucas

Post by Lucas » Sat Aug 30, 2014 11:08 am

Short answer= absolutely worth it. The sensation of the first and subsequent fish from a yak adds a whole new dimension to fishing due to being so low to the water, and you will be surprised how small a fish can tow a yak around.

SIKKO_X2

Post by SIKKO_X2 » Sun Aug 31, 2014 3:36 pm

I would highly recommend a Yak. I currently have a WS Tarpon 140 for fishing in the bay (which I picked up for $1100 brand new with 2xRAM rod holders). Very stable, easy to paddle all day and has a lot of innovative storage solutions and fishing-focused features. It also has an incredibly comfy seat so I can comfortably fish all day.

Like said previously, its all about building experience and limiting risk. If your fishing at night, make sure you have all of the required safety gear and some lights to ensure that you are clearly visible. During the day It is also important to make sure that you are as visible as possible.

Yak choice is also very important. There are all different shapes and sizes available for different scenarios and all have their pro's and con's.

One thing that I love about yak fishing is how easy it is. Here are some definate pro's that I have noticed:
- You can launch anywhere and do so on your own - no need to line up at the ramp
- No need to haul in a heavy anchor or spend valuable time trying to set it - a 1kg anchor will do fine for the yak
- Great for fitness
- Lower initial and ongoing costs as well as reduced maintenance
- Makes using ultra light gear more fun, it also adds some more complexity to keep it interesting
- Next to no hull slap to scare away fish
- Easy way to get amongst structure
- Stealth - I find that I catch a lot more from the Yak than I do from boats
- Easier to store - I have mine hoisted above my car, it only takes 5 minutes to have it strapped down and ready to go

Obviously I'm only looking at the pro's but for me, a good kayak is the perfect way to fish

cheaterparts
Has liked: 4 times

Post by cheaterparts » Sun Aug 31, 2014 4:34 pm

SIKKO_X2 wrote: - No need to haul in a heavy anchor or spend valuable time trying to set it - a 1kg anchor will do fine for the yak
this of cause depends on where you fish -- I'am setting up a kayak for my wife atm my old Kingfisher
she will start out with a 1.5 Kg folding anchor with a piece of chain on the rope
as that will cover most areas she will start out fishing

and if after some time on the water she wont to head out in some higher tide flows I have to set up another 2.5 Kg anchor with some heavier chain
it's a pain in the butt when lighter anchors drag

but I have to agree with your Pros
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm - Elephant fish 85 Cm - Snapper 91 Cm - KG Whiting 49 Cm - Flathead 55 Cm - Garfish 47 Cm - Silver Trevally 40 Cm - Long Tail Tuna 86 Cm - snook 64 Cm - Couta 71 Cm - Sth Calamari 44 Cm hood - Cobia 117 cm

Cheater

Return to “Kayak Fishing”