Weekend Report

daaaaavid123

Weekend Report

Post by daaaaavid123 » Sun Jun 28, 2015 10:09 pm

Hi Everyone,

I am reasonably new to this forum and only havening done a few posts requesting help, thought I would give back to the community with a weekend report.

I went out on Saturday with the boat (took it for a last run before it comes out of the shed in September) launching from St Kilda. Went across to Williamstown, tried for squid around the weed beds behind the football oval. Came up with nothing, then moved in the direction of Altona. Heaps of little pinkies around a few legal sized. We threw them back so they could grow into some real fish. Then went across to Elwood beach and drifted for flatties. Pick up a few in the 34-37cm range. Kept them for a feed and then headed back.

Sunday it was kayak time. I’ve recently been hooked by the kayak bug and can’t seem to get enough. I launched from Beaumaris lifesaving club and headed towards the motor boat squadron pier calamari was on the hit list for today, the wind was calm and high tide at 11.20am made for a great day out. The weed beds around the pier which normally produce, didn’t seem to be firing. I moved up towards the marine park sticking to about 3.5-4m of water and still nothing. I finally had a few casts out to the shallower areas and BANG! It was like I hit a school of squid. Pick up 4 in about 5 mins, all were caught on a2.5 sized pink jig with a gold foil. It then started to slow up. Around 2pm as the tide was running out I drifted into deeper water and seems to hit another patch. Unfortunately my favourite pink jig got snagged, BUGGER! Moving onto a 2.5 red jig with red cloth the deeper water of 4-4.5m seemed to fire off again. Picked up another 5 for the rest of the day.

Sizing as quite consistent most were around 25-28cm hoods with a two stand outs at 35cm

All in all, great day out and plenty for dinner tonight.

Does anyone here have any experience with drift chutes? Are they worth while?

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

hornet
Has liked: 123 times

Re: Weekend Report

Post by hornet » Sun Jun 28, 2015 10:16 pm

Nice report ! In relation to the Kayak drifting to fast the honorable member: cheaterparts will know about the drift chutes when he reads this and hopefully give some advise.
Last edited by hornet on Sun Jun 28, 2015 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
He who has the most fishing rods WINS ! :ts:

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Post by Nude up » Sun Jun 28, 2015 10:27 pm

Nice job great read I use a sea anchor off the boat when drifting works great.

cheaterparts
Has liked: 4 times

Post by cheaterparts » Sun Jun 28, 2015 10:42 pm

daaaaavid123 wrote:
I just bought the smallest drift chute the the Boat joint in Cranbourne had on the shelf joined it up with about 4 meters of rope
and a loop on the end

to use it I run the rope through my anchor trolley and drop the loop over my side rod holder

using the anchor trolley to adjust the angle I wont to drift

Mind you I don't use it often and fish mainly Westernport where a drift chute would be more like a motor with the tide flows
in PPB though I've used it to slow my drift while playing with SPs

By the way well done on the squidly doodles -- 2 of us fishing Cleeland bight today and picked up 1 squid each for around 6 hours
damm it was slow going
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm - Elephant fish 85 Cm - Snapper 91 Cm - KG Whiting 49 Cm - Flathead 55 Cm - Garfish 47 Cm - Silver Trevally 40 Cm - Long Tail Tuna 86 Cm - snook 64 Cm - Couta 71 Cm - Sth Calamari 44 Cm hood - Cobia 117 cm

Cheater

daaaaavid123

Post by daaaaavid123 » Sun Jun 28, 2015 10:47 pm

Thanks cheaterparts, will give it a go.

Wind a tide were going in the same direction today. Was drifting at 1.2km/h. Too quick for my jig to sink.

What time of year to the squid really start to fire up?

cheaterparts
Has liked: 4 times

Post by cheaterparts » Mon Jun 29, 2015 8:13 am

daaaaavid123 wrote:Thanks cheaterparts, will give it a go.

Wind a tide were going in the same direction today. Was drifting at 1.2km/h. Too quick for my jig to sink.

What time of year to the squid really start to fire up?
Squid are all year round - from now to early spring though they do get bigger as they breed when the water warms up
so by early spring most squid are 10 - 12 months old --- Squid only live for 12 months

you could cast in front of your drift
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm - Elephant fish 85 Cm - Snapper 91 Cm - KG Whiting 49 Cm - Flathead 55 Cm - Garfish 47 Cm - Silver Trevally 40 Cm - Long Tail Tuna 86 Cm - snook 64 Cm - Couta 71 Cm - Sth Calamari 44 Cm hood - Cobia 117 cm

Cheater

mazman
Has liked: 137 times

Post by mazman » Mon Jun 29, 2015 10:30 am

x2 on the drift chute. for squid i've found that you should cast the direction you are drifting and if your still not getting to the bottom use a jig with a faster sink rate.
Youtube channel:Hawkesy Fishing

Wolly Bugger
Has liked: 13 times

Post by Wolly Bugger » Mon Jun 29, 2015 8:36 pm

daaaaavid123 wrote:Hi Everyone,

I use to use the sea anchor when trolling for trout on really windy days. It prevented the boat from getting blown sideways.

I have used it in PPB to control my drift, but it would not be a good idea in WPB or any place that has high current flow. Unless you were using it as an emergency measure to point the bow in the right direction.

daaaaavid123

Post by daaaaavid123 » Mon Jun 29, 2015 8:42 pm

Thanks,

Will buy a cheepie from ebay and give it a go.

Thanks for all your advice.

daaaaavid123

Post by daaaaavid123 » Fri Jul 03, 2015 12:41 pm

Cheaterparts,

I'm wanting to chaise some massive squid this weekend from Western Port. I have been told to head down to Warneet and head towards the muscle farm.

Is this the way to go?

Given its a NW wind on Saturday is there anything I shoukd watch out for or do I aim for a run out tide to keep it flat?

Return to “Kayak Fishing”