Best freshwater kayak fishing destinations in victoria

coburgfiss

Best freshwater kayak fishing destinations in victoria

Post by coburgfiss » Tue Dec 29, 2015 8:44 pm

I've only fished eildon and lake wendouree in my kayak so far. I had lots of fun and caught a fish at both locations but I'm wondering what the best freshwater kayaking destinations are in victoria. Factors I'm mostly interested in are the quality of the fishing and how picturesque it is. I'm thinking toolondo might be awesome because of all the dead trees.

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Re: Best freshwater kayak fishing destinations in victoria

Post by 4liters » Tue Dec 29, 2015 8:51 pm

Blue Rock is good, some blokes do alright at Nagambie Lakes too.
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

mazman
Has liked: 137 times

Post by mazman » Tue Dec 29, 2015 9:57 pm

dartmouth, purrumbete, bullen merri and mulwala (technically not vic) are a few that come to mind, plus there is a few rivers that can be kayaked. Is there a reason you're only chasing freshwater destinations?

Cheers Alex
Youtube channel:Hawkesy Fishing

BIG GAV
Has liked: 2 times

Post by BIG GAV » Thu Dec 31, 2015 4:20 pm

I just came back from 4 days camping along the Loddon around serpentine, was definitely picturesque the fishing was very slow during the day but as soon as darkness falls the water comes to life I had a few strikes on surface lures nothing hooked up though.. I did manage a cod at 58cm on a grub under a float but the whole time I was there I was froffing at how good the area looks there's so many options to fish as its full of snags a kayak would be perfect for it. If you want exact locations pm me I'm happy to help
If I'm not fishing, I'd rather be fishing!

coburgfiss

Post by coburgfiss » Fri Jan 01, 2016 3:31 pm

mazman wrote:dartmouth, purrumbete, bullen merri and mulwala (technically not vic) are a few that come to mind, plus there is a few rivers that can be kayaked. Is there a reason you're only chasing freshwater destinations?

Cheers Alex
Thanks for the suggestions, I'm keen to get to all of these locations.

I lack a bit of confidence on the kayak so i'm building up to saltwater options. they just seem so much more risky in terms of tides and weather conditions. i guess some estuary options would be good too :cheers:

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Fri Jan 01, 2016 3:41 pm

Take a little time getting the hang of your kayak and how it handles, but saltwater isn't much more difficult than fresh. Just pick a day with very light winds and you should be fine. Tide isn't really an issue around the top of PPB like Williamstown or Altona.
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

coburgfiss

Post by coburgfiss » Fri Jan 01, 2016 4:02 pm

4liters wrote:Take a little time getting the hang of your kayak and how it handles, but saltwater isn't much more difficult than fresh. Just pick a day with very light winds and you should be fine. Tide isn't really an issue around the top of PPB like Williamstown or Altona.
yeah i really need to give this a crack as it's so close, thanks!

fishpod

Post by fishpod » Fri Jan 01, 2016 4:53 pm

You could go up the werribee river or in close to the rockwall at werribee

SteveoTheTiger
Has liked: 182 times

Post by SteveoTheTiger » Wed Jan 20, 2016 11:44 am

BIG GAV wrote:I just came back from 4 days camping along the Loddon around serpentine, .... If you want exact locations pm me I'm happy to help
Hey Big Gav, i would love if you could post the location of the camp site there. I have been looking for a camp site in that area that has access to a nice part of the river that you could actually kayak and swim in and camp near the water.

Thanks.

drew 2

Post by drew 2 » Wed Jan 20, 2016 2:25 pm

If you don't mind the drive head up to lake william hovell.You can fish the lake for trout or redfin.It is in a valley so it is reasonably narrow & protected,i've never seen it chop up.Depth varys from 4-80ft .It has a 10hp & 5knot speed limit on it so not much else other than fishing & paddling goes on there.You can't camp there but there is some nice spots downstream on the king river where you can.Also the chance of a cod or trouty as well as trout & reddy's.If you got a 4x4 you can go round the lake & camp above it but this time of year inflows would be minimal.There is always water coming out this time of year for irrigation.

Return to “Kayak Fishing”