Tidal river and surrounds, any hot spots for kayak fishing?

JetFeeds

Tidal river and surrounds, any hot spots for kayak fishing?

Post by JetFeeds » Thu Feb 18, 2016 12:59 am

Hi team,
I'm heading to tidal river campsite with my wife this weekend in the hope of getting her "hooked" on kayak fishing. I've never fished this area but would love to get onto some exciting catches, what's running this time of year and where are the best spots to try our luck?
Any advice and tips are greatly appreciated, and I'll be sure to update with how we went.

cheaterparts
Has liked: 4 times

Re: Tidal river and surrounds, any hot spots for kayak fishing?

Post by cheaterparts » Thu Feb 18, 2016 7:33 am

JetFeeds wrote:Hi team,
I'm heading to tidal river campsite with my wife this weekend in the hope of getting her "hooked" on kayak fishing. I've never fished this area but would love to get onto some exciting catches, what's running this time of year and where are the best spots to try our luck?
Any advice and tips are greatly appreciated, and I'll be sure to update with how we went.
I can't help a lot but it is one area a few of us have been looking at - there are marine parks right around the end of the prom so do a bit of research to make sure you aren't fishing these areas

We were looking at the area for King fish that a bit extreme for anyone just starting out or aren't equipped for this , our basic plan was to fish the west side of the glennie group about a 9 km paddle out from tidal river -- this make for a 25 - 30 km paddling day on open water so like I said not for the novice

right around Waratah Bay and Walkaville are some great Whiting grounds up inside tidal river should also hold mullet , and other species including EPs

http://www.theprom.net.au/Fishing_The_Prom.html
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm - Elephant fish 85 Cm - Snapper 91 Cm - KG Whiting 49 Cm - Flathead 55 Cm - Garfish 47 Cm - Silver Trevally 40 Cm - Long Tail Tuna 86 Cm - snook 64 Cm - Couta 71 Cm - Sth Calamari 44 Cm hood - Cobia 117 cm

Cheater

JetFeeds

Post by JetFeeds » Thu Feb 18, 2016 10:42 am

cheaterparts wrote:
JetFeeds wrote:Hi team,
I can't help a lot but it is one area a few of us have been looking at - there are marine parks right around the end of the prom so do a bit of research to make sure you aren't fishing these areas

We were looking at the area for King fish that a bit extreme for anyone just starting out or aren't equipped for this , our basic plan was to fish the west side of the glennie group about a 9 km paddle out from tidal river -- this make for a 25 - 30 km paddling day on open water so like I said not for the novice

right around Waratah Bay and Walkaville are some great Whiting grounds up inside tidal river should also hold mullet , and other species including EPs

http://www.theprom.net.au/Fishing_The_Prom.html
Thanks! I'll be with a mate who also Yaks so may have a sniff around for some kingies, will keep you posted.

I'll just have a little look around with my wife and see if there is somewhere we can get onto a salmon or two, that should be the ticket!

Basti
Has liked: 15 times

Post by Basti » Thu Feb 18, 2016 11:08 am

there are bream and perch in most of the estuarine water round there. might be a little easier to convince the wife to paddle up a creek rather than out to sea

JetFeeds

Post by JetFeeds » Thu Feb 18, 2016 11:37 am

Basti wrote:there are bream and perch in most of the estuarine water round there. might be a little easier to convince the wife to paddle up a creek rather than out to sea
You may be right but we might go and sightsee through some of the marine park.

fishmagnet

Post by fishmagnet » Fri Feb 19, 2016 2:46 pm

Tidal river is packed with trevs and mullet. Also quite a few bream and EP's and smaller salmon in there

bilby

Post by bilby » Fri Feb 19, 2016 5:06 pm

It might also be worth checking out Shallow Inlet - great for kayaking I would imagine, and some fantastic fishing. Whiting, trevally, big salmon, maybe even snapper at the right times.

JetFeeds

Post by JetFeeds » Mon Feb 22, 2016 9:49 am

Not a great weekends fishing, we caught half a dozen Bream but they were all too small, extremely beautiful area though and some pretty cool wildlife too. thanks for all your suggestions.

Return to “Kayak Fishing”