Kayak Equipment (anchor)

JetFeeds

Kayak Equipment (anchor)

Post by JetFeeds » Fri Feb 26, 2016 12:33 pm

Ahoy,
I'm trying to find a more effective anchor for kayak fishing, I have the little red grappling hook style one from BCF but its no good with wind or currents really.
Does anyone have any suggestions?
Cheers
:water: JF

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Re: Kayak Equipment (anchor)

Post by 4liters » Fri Feb 26, 2016 12:59 pm

Where are you fishing? You might find that with more rope and a meter of heavy chain above the anchor it works fine. Usually you need rope 2-5 times the depth you're anchoring in depending on wind and current (i.e. in 10m of water you need 20m of rope).

I got a 2.5kg galvanised grapple anchor from Regal Marine in Vermont after the 1.5kg one kept dragging. I've got a bit over a meter of chain attached to the rope above it; I've cut the chain and rejoined it with D shackles so I can remove half of it if I'm fishing in a low current area.
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

cheaterparts
Has liked: 4 times

Post by cheaterparts » Fri Feb 26, 2016 1:09 pm

JetFeeds wrote:Ahoy,
I'm trying to find a more effective anchor for kayak fishing, I have the little red grappling hook style one from BCF but its no good with wind or currents really.
Does anyone have any suggestions?
Cheers
:water: JF
JF I use 2 different Anchors depending on where I'm heading -- for most of Westernport I use a 1.5 kg folding grapnell with a piece of chain up along the rope about 40 cm up from the anchor

the chain weighs the rope down to get a better angle for the anchor to work

and if I'm fishing high tide flow areas ( ie the north arm or eastern channel ) I use a 2.5 kg folding anchor with a larger chain about 1.2 meters or more above the anchor
with this heavy outfit I can hold bottom almost anywhere in WP

of cause if you fish the high tide flow areas make sure you have you plans worked out to lift the anchor you can't let the kayak ever go side on to the flow and things happen fast

hope that is some help
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm - Elephant fish 85 Cm - Snapper 91 Cm - KG Whiting 49 Cm - Flathead 55 Cm - Garfish 47 Cm - Silver Trevally 40 Cm - Long Tail Tuna 86 Cm - snook 64 Cm - Couta 71 Cm - Sth Calamari 44 Cm hood - Cobia 117 cm

Cheater

4liters

Post by 4liters » Fri Feb 26, 2016 1:15 pm

cheaterparts wrote: of cause if you fish the high tide flow areas make sure you have you plans worked out to lift the anchor you can't let the kayak ever go side on to the flow and things happen fast
Just quoting because this is important... if you fall out of an anchored kayak in a tidal area you'll get swept away from it very quickly.
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm

Finnigan

Post by Finnigan » Fri Feb 26, 2016 1:52 pm

Sorry for jacking this thread but what rope do you guys use? Atm that yellow and blue braided rope, im certain its not UV resistant. Apart from expensive af anchor rope are there any other options?
You know what you'd rather be doinnnn

4liters

Post by 4liters » Fri Feb 26, 2016 2:02 pm

I got some 3mm rope from bunnings, it comes in 20m spools and I've just used a uni knot to tie a couple of spools worth together.
http://www.bunnings.com.au/grunt-3mm-x- ... d_p4310425

Seems to work fine so far, but I replace it with a single 100m length at some stage because I'm a bit dubious about the knot strength.

Finnigan

Post by Finnigan » Fri Feb 26, 2016 2:30 pm

4liters wrote:I got some 3mm rope from bunnings, it comes in 20m spools and I've just used a uni knot to tie a couple of spools worth together.
http://www.bunnings.com.au/grunt-3mm-x- ... d_p4310425

Seems to work fine so far, but I replace it with a single 100m length at some stage because I'm a bit dubious about the knot strength.
I actually used that exact stuff for my anchor trolley, and i have alot left over. thanks :a_goodjob:
You know what you'd rather be doinnnn

cheaterparts
Has liked: 4 times

Post by cheaterparts » Fri Feb 26, 2016 5:00 pm

Finnigan wrote:Sorry for jacking this thread but what rope do you guys use? Atm that yellow and blue braided rope, im certain its not UV resistant. Apart from expensive af anchor rope are there any other options?
I also use 3 mm utility cord but in 60 meter rolls http://www.bunnings.com.au/grunt-3mm-x- ... d_p4310579

I find 60 meters covers most places I fish
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm - Elephant fish 85 Cm - Snapper 91 Cm - KG Whiting 49 Cm - Flathead 55 Cm - Garfish 47 Cm - Silver Trevally 40 Cm - Long Tail Tuna 86 Cm - snook 64 Cm - Couta 71 Cm - Sth Calamari 44 Cm hood - Cobia 117 cm

Cheater

4liters

Post by 4liters » Fri Feb 26, 2016 5:17 pm

I didn't know it came in 60m rolls

dezza68

Post by dezza68 » Fri Feb 26, 2016 8:19 pm

I built the nipper a zip line in the paddock with that grunt line. Its got a fair amount of elasticity which is perfect for an anchor line, not so good for a zip line, it took a week of sweating to take the stretch out.
If you have dragging problems I would try to add more chain rather than up the anchor size, if the chain keeps lifting off the bottom it will break the anchor out of its hold.
Ive got 1.5 times the length of the boat in chain and I normally set at least 6 times the depth of water as my line if I'm going to sit on the hook for any length of time.
Cast, catch and put it back

Return to “Kayak Fishing”