Motors on kayaks

re-tyred
Has liked: 372 times

Motors on kayaks

Post by re-tyred » Fri Mar 17, 2017 5:38 pm

http://transportsafety.vic.gov.au/marit ... nsultation

you might be able to add a power plant and not have registration soon.
There's nothing . . . absolutely nothing . . . half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats.
Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)

skronkman
Has liked: 4 times

Re: Motors on kayaks

Post by skronkman » Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:13 pm

You do realise this is Victoria? What the nanny taketh she never gives back.

Boonanza
Has liked: 270 times

Post by Boonanza » Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:27 pm

Personally I think anywhere that powered boats are allowed any boat/kayak owner should have a licence and know the rules regardless of if it has a petrol or electric motor or no motor at all.
A smart person knows what to say. A wise person knows whether to say it.

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Post by Nude up » Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:31 pm

Typical must be the push bike lobby why should I have to pay, I reckon my 200hp is low power can I be exempt as well

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:24 pm

I'm pretty happy with the current rules tbh
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Post by rb85 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:28 pm

Interesting. Electric or Motorised Bikes and Scooters under a certain power are exempt from registration this proposal seems similar. More consideration is needed though as some waterways have many variables such as other motorised vessels that could cause a risk to moto yakkers.

My thought is registration isn't necessary but safety equipment such as Nav Lights and Anchor lights in certain conditions are a necessity.

skronkman

Post by skronkman » Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:30 pm

Ok, not trying to be a stirrer here or anything but I'm stunned that there seems to be any popular support for what I see (personally) as unnecessary regulation. So much so, that I'm questioning my own beliefs on this as I generally have a good deal of respect for the opinions of most of the regulars on this forum (even the ones I disagree with). If a restricted power motor fitted to a kayak which speed limits it to what can be achieved by an average humans paddle power (say 5knts) should be registered, please tell me why you feel this way. If anything, I would have assumed it's safer or at least, no less safe than not being powered. If you are under 5.5m and 5hp in NSW you do not need to register and I don't know of any issues caused. I feel the same about pushbikes but this is not the topic at hand. I'm not trying to start a Sh!t fight, I just want to understand what makes others feel differently to me on this. I'm genuinely baffled.

Kenle
Has liked: 214 times

Post by Kenle » Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:18 pm

I feel as though there are biased opinions on this topic. Obviously those that dont own a yak will want to see yaksman pay fees but those that owns a yak will want to go fee free. Its simple, kinda like how car owners have to pay for using toll way back in the days and motorbikes didnt have to but now they make them pay part fee. Maybe its fair for yaksman to pay part fee but they will have to get same prevliages as boats then. Wonder what happens if you cut out a hole from under your car and power it with your feet, will you need to pay for rego then?

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Sat Mar 18, 2017 5:27 am

Kenle wrote:I feel as though there are biased opinions on this topic. Obviously those that dont own a yak will want to see yaksman pay fees but those that owns a yak will want to go fee free. Its simple, kinda like how car owners have to pay for using toll way back in the days and motorbikes didnt have to but now they make them pay part fee. Maybe its fair for yaksman to pay part fee but they will have to get same prevliages as boats then. Wonder what happens if you cut out a hole from under your car and power it with your feet, will you need to pay for rego then?
I use a yak and I'm all for making people get a boat licence if they put a motor on their yak.
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

skronkman

Post by skronkman » Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:03 am

4liters wrote:
Kenle wrote:I feel as though there are biased opinions on this topic. Obviously those that dont own a yak will want to see yaksman pay fees but those that owns a yak will want to go fee free. Its simple, kinda like how car owners have to pay for using toll way back in the days and motorbikes didnt have to but now they make them pay part fee. Maybe its fair for yaksman to pay part fee but they will have to get same prevliages as boats then. Wonder what happens if you cut out a hole from under your car and power it with your feet, will you need to pay for rego then?
I use a yak and I'm all for making people get a boat licence if they put a motor on their yak.
4L, please explain why you think this way. Why does having a motor (of limited power) make a difference? If your top speed is say 5 knots under pedal/paddle power and this same speed limitation is applied to a "motor yak" then what makes you feel they should be registered? As an aside, a sailing dingy can reach incredibly fast speeds in the right conditions and is much more difficult to control; no registration needed and I don't see how registering one and paying a fee would improve the safety of one either. If this is not a safety issue and I'm missing some other issue that makes registration appealing then let me know.

Return to “Kayak Fishing”