Considering Purchasing Hobie 16

tropicalfisher

Considering Purchasing Hobie 16

Post by tropicalfisher » Tue Jul 04, 2017 1:50 am

I'm considering purchasing an Adventure or Revolution 16. Does anyone have one and have thoughts on it, especially regarding stability and dryness?

If anyone has one to sell, feel free to PM me. Will also consider Revolution and Adventure 13s. Thank you!

laneends
Has liked: 3 times

Re: Considering Purchasing Hobie 16

Post by laneends » Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:02 am

I have a revo 16 and had an adventure before that. love it. They are not that common. The revo 16 even though on the surface is just a comfy dry seat version of the adventure it is more than that. It can change the whole trim and handling of the kayak.The adventure is a wet ass boat no avoiding that. The revo 16 is not, but you are still close to the water so is wetter than other models. It is also less affected by wind, which makes battling windy conditions much easier

I also have it set up for paddling mode, though you have to learn proper kayak paddling techniques so that you can use it rudderless. It is the one pedal kayak that actually feels like a kayak rather than a pedal boat. Stability you just get used to.

You would be hard pushed to find a second hand revo 16. There is also a serious design flaw with the 2015 model. Subsequently rectified in the 2016 model. If you are looking at secondhand adventures be aware that the early models often suffered from drivewell cracking, so I would avoid older models.

The revo 13 feels more initially stable and the front hatch is more accessible and so is more popular. It doesnt paddle anywhere as good as a 16, to the point that you dont unless you have a drive failure.

I think it is important to be sure whether you want a vantage seat or older seat model of whichever model hobie you get in order to not buy an older seat version then be constantly daydreaming of the newer seat model.

If you are not familiar with hobies make sure you know the difference between the various drive upgrades as these have been substantially improved over the years. This will affect value and durability.

tropicalfisher

Post by tropicalfisher » Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:31 am

laneends wrote:I have a revo 16 and had an adventure before that. love it. They are not that common. The revo 16 even though on the surface is just a comfy dry seat version of the adventure it is more than that. It can change the whole trim and handling of the kayak.The adventure is a wet ass boat no avoiding that. The revo 16 is not, but you are still close to the water so is wetter than other models. It is also less affected by wind, which makes battling windy conditions much easier

I also have it set up for paddling mode, though you have to learn proper kayak paddling techniques so that you can use it rudderless. It is the one pedal kayak that actually feels like a kayak rather than a pedal boat. Stability you just get used to.

You would be hard pushed to find a second hand revo 16. There is also a serious design flaw with the 2015 model. Subsequently rectified in the 2016 model. If you are looking at secondhand adventures be aware that the early models often suffered from drivewell cracking, so I would avoid older models.

The revo 13 feels more initially stable and the front hatch is more accessible and so is more popular. It doesnt paddle anywhere as good as a 16, to the point that you dont unless you have a drive failure.

I think it is important to be sure whether you want a vantage seat or older seat model of whichever model hobie you get in order to not buy an older seat version then be constantly daydreaming of the newer seat model.

If you are not familiar with hobies make sure you know the difference between the various drive upgrades as these have been substantially improved over the years. This will affect value and durability.
Awesome reply. Thanks very much, especially the tip about the seats. Why are Revo 16s hard to find second hand? Are they just uncommon overall?

laneends

Post by laneends » Tue Jul 04, 2017 12:14 pm

Dont sell many, especially in Vic. I have yet to see another one or hear of anyone else owning one. They are a good option for thse coming from a kayak background, especially sea kayakers, who want to get into fishing. But many kayak fishers are simply boaties downsizing or LB fishos wanting to get on the water without the expense of a boat, This means they just want something with high primary stabilility, dont intend travelling too far.

The appeal to me was that if conditions turn bad, or the pedal system fails its going to get you back quicker and safer than any other (except a full AI). End result is I actually cover bigger distances with less effort and more confidence. If you dont intend travelling too far then its probably better you just go for the utility of say an outback. But then intentions and what you eventually do are often two different things.

The new hobie ranges are usually announced in september so older models are often cleared out.

cheaterparts
Has liked: 4 times

Post by cheaterparts » Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:47 pm

laneends wrote:Dont sell many, especially in Vic. I have yet to see another one or hear of anyone else owning one. They are a good option for thse coming from a kayak background, especially sea kayakers,

The appeal to me was that if conditions turn bad, or the pedal system fails its going to get you back quicker and safer than any other (except a full AI). End result is I actually cover bigger distances with less effort and more confidence.
someone coming from a kayak back ground would probably get a paddling outfit not a pedal boat Keith :rofl:

I have seen the odd revo 16 but they are rare as Keith says as a paddle kayak they could do with a bit more rocker it would make them steer a bit better with out the rudder

must say I wouldn't swap the stealth for one and they are about the same price

on a side note Keith are you still keen on a non fishing trip around French Island - I think Eoin is keen and we will be looking at some longer paddling trips to build up for the Murray Marathon
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm - Elephant fish 85 Cm - Snapper 91 Cm - KG Whiting 49 Cm - Flathead 55 Cm - Garfish 47 Cm - Silver Trevally 40 Cm - Long Tail Tuna 86 Cm - snook 64 Cm - Couta 71 Cm - Sth Calamari 44 Cm hood - Cobia 117 cm

Cheater

laneends

Post by laneends » Tue Jul 04, 2017 11:31 pm

cheaterparts wrote:[
on a side note Keith are you still keen on a non fishing trip around French Island - I think Eoin is keen and we will be looking at some longer paddling trips to build up for the Murray Marathon
Hopefully later this year. Want to build up to it by doing each section individually first, and doing increasingly longer non tide assist paddle/pedals in PPB.

My ex is from swan hill and we used to be up there when they finished the race... some well knackered folks, especially when the temp soars up there

Return to “Kayak Fishing”