Missing Kayaker 29/7/17

Queasy

Re: Missing Kayaker 29/7/17

Post by Queasy » Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:20 pm

barra mick wrote:
Queasy wrote:
barra mick wrote:
ive strapped my epirponto me on a few nasty condictions when ive been in isolated places.

sometimes just incase a croc got me ...at least they could find me...dead or half alive
Provided the croc knew how to set it off without crushing it....
You know how smart they are up there

Bm
Yeah quick smart, and I've got a scar to prove it.

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Fri Aug 04, 2017 7:21 am

Yota wrote:I still haven't seen anything in the papers or heard anything on the radio if the fella has been located.
Anyone else ?
nope

probably best not to eat any 7 gillers from ppb for a few months
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

Wolly Bugger
Has liked: 13 times

Post by Wolly Bugger » Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:11 am

Commercial fishermen, have I think the highest death/injury rate of all occupations.
For amateur fishermen, rock fishing has a very high death rate.

So as a sport, fishing can be high risk activity, yet millions of people survive and rarely have anything untoward happening to them. Add boating/kayaking.

So the major risk is drowning, and that is where lifejacket laws come into play and there are various reasons, why a fisherman/woman may find themselves in the water.

I think it was at Port Albert or somewhere in that region, where two people were found deceased on their boat. If I recall correctly their boat is believed to have hit a channel marker at speed and the occupants suffered fatal injuries.

If by chance a boatie finds themselves immersed in the bay, the temperature of the water is not compatible for life for very long and it is doubtful that the boatie would have been dressed for immersion any way. So hypothermia kills.

Up at Lake Ecumbene, a couples boat was swamped and by misfortune the wind pushed the boat past a point, were if they had made landfall they may have survived, but they spent another few hours in the water with the boat washing up at Seven Gates. They were wearing lifejackets.

There are times, when a person may make a decision that later proves to be fatal.
In 2010 a diver went missing near the wreck of the Cerebus, and the body was later recovered from the wreck.

Over the years, various laws are introduced in an effort to improve safety, not everyone complies.

Safety can be taught, but it is not a requirement for owning a boat/kayak or rock fishing. Bush walkers will use PBL's as does the Yachting brigade.

laneends
Has liked: 3 times

Post by laneends » Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:59 am

Fish-cador wrote:
We carry tons of sinkers and wear waders. Will extra 500 grams kill you?
Its more the physical size rather than the weight. A small PLB is more likely to be a permanent fit and forget attachment to a PFD. This is essential to kayakers who should always have a PFD on when on the water anywhere. Even if its just punting around in the river. An EPIRB is more likely, and designed to be, to be left attached to the kayak/vessel than the person, I know which I would rather be found.

Fish-cador
Has liked: 10 times

Post by Fish-cador » Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:21 am

laneends wrote:
Fish-cador wrote:
Its more the physical size rather than the weight. A small PLB is more likely to be a permanent fit and forget attachment to a PFD. This is essential to kayakers who should always have a PFD on when on the water anywhere. Even if its just punting around in the river. An EPIRB is more likely, and designed to be, to be left attached to the kayak/vessel than the person, I know which I would rather be found.
It started with a post with humor added and you took it the orther way. I am done. I rather go fishing

cheaterparts
Has liked: 4 times

Post by cheaterparts » Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:33 pm

laneends wrote:
Fish-cador wrote:
in Tassie water a PLB is what is mandated for use off shore for kayakers over an EPIRB and for the reason that it will be with the kayaker even if he looses contact with his kayak and really in cold water if you aren't found in 24 hours in cold water it isn't going to make much difference
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm - Elephant fish 85 Cm - Snapper 91 Cm - KG Whiting 49 Cm - Flathead 55 Cm - Garfish 47 Cm - Silver Trevally 40 Cm - Long Tail Tuna 86 Cm - snook 64 Cm - Couta 71 Cm - Sth Calamari 44 Cm hood - Cobia 117 cm

Cheater

re-tyred
Has liked: 372 times

Post by re-tyred » Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:48 pm

I have a PLB and a hand Held VHF attached to my lifejacket. PLB cost $259
Wolly the two people who died hitting channel marker was in Lakes entrance. It was the compass pile near the footbridge. They were speed(5knt zone) at night
There's nothing . . . absolutely nothing . . . half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats.
Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)

Return to “Kayak Fishing”