Missing Kayaker 29/7/17

Brett
Has liked: 138 times

Re: Missing Kayaker 29/7/17

Post by Brett » Mon Jul 31, 2017 2:10 pm

UPDATE: 12:40pm There has been a somebre update in the search for a missing Torquay kayaker. Around 10:30am, the police airwing discovered the adandoned, yellow kayak of Junichi Yoshimura, who has been missing for five days. The vessel was found in Port Phillip Bay, around 16kms west of Edithvale and more than 30kms from where Mr Yoshimura's car was found at Altona. Authorities continue their search for the the man. *** The search for a missing Torquay kayaker in Port Phillip Bay will enter into a fourth day. 41-year-old Junichi Yoshimura was reported missing by colleagues on Friday. Police believe the Japanese national left his home early Thursday morning to go fishing, but did not take a wetsuit or life jacket. His car found at the Altona boat ramp but there has been no sign of Mr Yoshimura or his yellow '2 Monks' kayak. The search has shifted focus to the southern end of Port Phillip Bay and Corio Bay due to the blustery conditions on Saturday. Authorities scaled back the search overnight, with authorities continuing to patrol the coastline. Anyone with information on Mr Yoshimura or who may have seen his kayak are being urged to contact Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000.

Source: http://www.bay939.com.au/news/local-new ... ayak-found
Local News
© bay 93.9 Geelong

Texas
Has liked: 221 times

Post by Texas » Mon Jul 31, 2017 2:46 pm

No good, thanks for the update Brett

Cheers Gra

laneends
Has liked: 3 times

Post by laneends » Mon Jul 31, 2017 3:42 pm

Texas wrote:If a kayak is hit by a boat, would it sink or still float ????

Gra
Depends if it sustains hull damage or not. A sit on op kayak wont sink unless cracked or hatch left open. They dont swamp like a canoe or tinny. Even then should have flotation bouyancy foam inside. Though not all have. That would keep it afloat, but any substantial amount of water inside hull makes it too unstable to mount. Climbing aboard a kayak is also something that needs to be practiced, its not as easy as you might think.

laneends

Post by laneends » Mon Jul 31, 2017 3:46 pm

Kimtown wrote:Jeez, if he were still in the bay surely he would have been found now?

What's the chances the current drifted him out through the entrance then possibly lost his bearings due to waves/fog/not having appropriate navigation tools and is off shore and can't find his way to land?

I'm not a kayaker so I have no idea if this is a realistic or not. Hope he is safe, time is definitely against him though sad to say.
Zero chance of ever making it that far especially in the conditions this weekend. He wouldn't have survived past thursday arvo. This was a cheap tandem kayak with an under equipped solo paddler, a pig of a thing to handle in the best of conditions, no chance in a stiff headwind

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Mon Jul 31, 2017 3:52 pm

kayakers need to get a licence to be on the water i think, just like boats and jetski users. too many idiots trying to go the cheap way into getting on the water and risking their lives.

laneends

Post by laneends » Mon Jul 31, 2017 4:05 pm

purple5ive wrote:kayakers need to get a licence to be on the water i think, just like boats and jetski users. too many idiots trying to go the cheap way into getting on the water and risking their lives.
Licensing is about knowing the rules rather than kayaking skills. Unfortunately not enough getting into it realize this, and treat them just like fishing pontoons. Kayakers and fishos are not always the same thing just because they are sitting on a kayak.You are right it is dangerously too accessible. There are kayaks and there are kayaks, which are about as similar as tinnies are to ocean cruisers.

barra mick
Has liked: 26 times

Post by barra mick » Mon Jul 31, 2017 6:23 pm

sad news

ratbag

Post by ratbag » Mon Jul 31, 2017 6:30 pm

it is sad news.
quid est quod eum

cheaterparts
Has liked: 4 times

Post by cheaterparts » Mon Jul 31, 2017 6:50 pm

purple5ive wrote:kayakers need to get a licence to be on the water i think, just like boats and jetski users. too many idiots trying to go the cheap way into getting on the water and risking their lives.
that would make little difference if you think a boat licence is the go - I have a boat licence and have had it for a few years now but to get the licence there is no training so what experience do you think you get from it

to get a boat licence - you dont launch a boat or drive a boat and in fact I have not driven a boat in all the time I've had a licence
so do you think I know how to handle a boat from that experience but I have a licence

so you might ask about kayak training - try to find some where that does - East Coast Kayaks ( sea Kayakers ) do some training but not really designed for fishing kayaks
and Sea Sherpa is doing some safety courses

So it comes down to the point of sale - most good brand kayaks are sold by people that know the sport and can advise but most cheaper gear ( Ebay -or the larger camping stores ) have people on the floor don't know one end from the other
even larger fishing tackle shops like Tackle World in Cranbourne carry Viking Kayaks ( a good brand by the way ) but I doubt any one that is selling them at TW would know how to use one

then of cause there are many poorly designed kayaks that are not fit to use on open water but are really cheap and those that don't know better buy them - Maybe kayaks should be sold with a rating --- pool toys and real fishing kayaks

so I dont agree licencing is the way to go and it's hard to train someone if there are no facilities to do so
experience can't be bought but on the right kayak and with the right gear the sport is less dangerous
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm - Elephant fish 85 Cm - Snapper 91 Cm - KG Whiting 49 Cm - Flathead 55 Cm - Garfish 47 Cm - Silver Trevally 40 Cm - Long Tail Tuna 86 Cm - snook 64 Cm - Couta 71 Cm - Sth Calamari 44 Cm hood - Cobia 117 cm

Cheater

davek
Has liked: 268 times

Post by davek » Mon Jul 31, 2017 6:55 pm

cheaterparts wrote:
that would make little difference if you think a boat licence is the go - I have a boat licence and have had it for a few years now but to get the licence there is no training so what experience do you think you get from it

to get a boat licence - you dont launch a boat or drive a boat and in fact I have not driven a boat in all the time I've had a licence
so do you think I know how to handle a boat from that experience but I have a licence

so you might ask about kayak training - try to find some where that does - East Coast Kayaks ( sea Kayakers ) do some training but not really designed for fishing kayaks
and Sea Sherpa is doing some safety courses

So it comes down to the point of sale - most good brand kayaks are sold by people that know the sport and can advise but most cheaper gear ( Ebay -or the larger camping stores ) have people on the floor don't know one end from the other
even larger fishing tackle shops like Tackle World in Cranbourne carry Viking Kayaks ( a good brand by the way ) but I doubt any one that is selling them at TW would know how to use one

then of cause there are many poorly designed kayaks that are not fit to use on open water but are really cheap and those that don't know better buy them - Maybe kayaks should be sold with a rating --- pool toys and real fishing kayaks

so I dont agree licencing is the way to go and it's hard to train someone if there are no facilities to do so
experience can't be bought but on the right kayak and with the right gear the sport is less dangerous
:thumbsup: :good: cheers davo
It's an exhilarating feeling catching a fish
But it's an even better feeling releasing them

Return to “Kayak Fishing”