Missing Kayaker 29/7/17

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Re: Missing Kayaker 29/7/17

Post by purple5ive » Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:38 pm

The reason i said get a licence is so that they are forced to learn basic navigational and marine rules to sit the test.
Atm many have zero knowledge of anything marine related rules. To me they are basically sitting ducks. Just a recent post about what lights do you need in the dark is a good enough explanation of this sort of problems
And no it wont stop casualities. But its a step in the right direction imo.

Paul Foot

Post by Paul Foot » Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:54 pm

From my experience the biggest threat I face in the Kayak is getting run over by a fully licensed boat owner.

cheaterparts
Has liked: 4 times

Post by cheaterparts » Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:04 pm

purple5ive wrote:The reason i said get a licence is so that they are forced to learn basic navigational and marine rules to sit the test.
Atm many have zero knowledge of anything marine related rules. To me they are basically sitting ducks. Just a recent post about what lights do you need in the dark is a good enough explanation of this sort of problems
And no it wont stop casualities. But its a step in the right direction imo.
Really for survival on a kayak knowing the real basic navigation or marine rules would make little difference - We don't use or need channel markers and are normally in sight of land as for marine rules again really aren't a survival thing - so no nether make a kayaker a sitting duck

there was a recent post on lighting however how many licenced boat operators still don't use the correct lighting - now remember these are licenced operators yet how often do you see green and red lights on at anchor
as for the recent post on lighting for a kayak the real answer is no navigation lights are required by law using a rowboat after dark but the operator must have a touch that he can use to flash at any on coming traffic - however an all round white light is recommend and of cause what all kayakers will tell you and like most it needs to be bright

now what any kayaker has to know for survival - first to read the weather ( and we all get it wrong from time to time ) be able to self rescue ( get back on when you fall in ) know to be dressed for immersion being dressed to be comfortable on the yak doesn't cut it - clothing has to keep you warn while wet and even in the water - of cause there are the std safety items like PFD and bailer
of cause no both the limits of the kayak and yourself

now just for fun go in to any shop that sells kayak and ask what you need to know to kayak safely and see how many will tell you any of these things
Last edited by cheaterparts on Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm - Elephant fish 85 Cm - Snapper 91 Cm - KG Whiting 49 Cm - Flathead 55 Cm - Garfish 47 Cm - Silver Trevally 40 Cm - Long Tail Tuna 86 Cm - snook 64 Cm - Couta 71 Cm - Sth Calamari 44 Cm hood - Cobia 117 cm

Cheater

cheaterparts
Has liked: 4 times

Post by cheaterparts » Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:05 pm

Paul Foot wrote:From my experience the biggest threat I face in the Kayak is getting run over by a fully licensed boat owner.
that would be funny if it wasn't true !
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm - Elephant fish 85 Cm - Snapper 91 Cm - KG Whiting 49 Cm - Flathead 55 Cm - Garfish 47 Cm - Silver Trevally 40 Cm - Long Tail Tuna 86 Cm - snook 64 Cm - Couta 71 Cm - Sth Calamari 44 Cm hood - Cobia 117 cm

Cheater

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:36 pm

Its not about channel markers or lights at the end of the day. Wether you use them or not is up to you. Its about being safe on the water.
A boating licence test covers everything. Not just how to use channel markers and nav lights.
The way i see it easy access to the water and no rules to follow equals trouble.
A test and licencing system would make them a lot more aware of whats around them. Im sure most kayakers have got nfi which is right of way when a boat is approaching. (And im.not talking about people like you steve)
A basic test for safely operating a kayak and what to do in an emergency. And related kayak procedueres should be part of the test.

Atm anyone with enough money can go to bcf, or buy one from.ebay and be on the water in hours.
Atleast with boating its not that straightforward. And some basic rules are learnt when doing the test.

Maybe even perhaps no licence no buy policy. But not sure how that can be policed online.

barra mick
Has liked: 26 times

Post by barra mick » Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:37 pm

cheaterparts wrote:
Paul Foot wrote:From my experience the biggest threat I face in the Kayak is getting run over by a fully licensed boat owner.
that would be funny if it wasn't true !
my biggest threat is running over a d..head bloke in a kyack with no lights at night time like last time I launched at 430am from werrible south

now that would be funny if it wasn't true... I would off chopped him in two halfs but I seen this rabbit at the last minute

cheers bm

ratbag

Post by ratbag » Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:54 pm

I don't think a licence would make any differ even at all, in fact it would only enforce the nanny state we already live in. Ppl need to take responsibility for themselves and their actions - all the time. Whether it be cars, bikes, boats etc there will always be someone who does something that just not cricket.

The sad situation of a foreign national lost in PPB for whatever reason is just that - sad and appears to be a body recovery as reported in the news tonight.

You can only regulate for those sensible ppl.
quid est quod eum

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:02 pm

The rules are in place and when followed they save lives, I'm not sure what licencing would do to improve the current situation. Making PLBs or EPIRBS mandatory wouldn't be the worst idea but in the end it is just like the existing regulations: something people will ignore when it suits them unless it is properly enforced.
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

johnnycjay
Has liked: 1 time

Post by johnnycjay » Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:11 pm

His family are coming tomorrow. Everyone has family or people who will miss them.

If he had no PFD then sypathy will be hard to find. I fear with the rise in popularity of Kayaks will come complacency and more deaths.

FishnMiss
Has liked: 10 times

Post by FishnMiss » Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:27 pm

The reports are conflicted some say no PFd some say they don't know what he had. Ok so they found his yak, but now they say they may never find his body. Sounds like a sick mob hit :-(
I keep hoping he bumped his head, has amnesia & will turn up somewhere safely.
On the boat licence level, Boat licence without practical component is a joke, some states require it. Geez we expect kids to do 120Hrs before a licence & marine environment is way harsher/hostile. Boat licence doesn't teach you how to read the weather, how to control your boat, currents, tides (wind against tide & with current) & more.
Probably doesn't do any harm for kayakers & boaters to do some sort of practical mariners course & then practice in case of an emergency.
How many boaties do drills or practice re-entry if they fall overboard etc, or know the correct VHF terminologies etc, same for yakkers?
" For Evil to triumph, all that Good people have to do is - Nothing "

Return to “Kayak Fishing”