Missing Kayaker 29/7/17

frozenpod
Has liked: 81 times

Re: Missing Kayaker 29/7/17

Post by frozenpod » Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:55 pm

cheaterparts wrote: just wondering how many boating guys carry a PLB incase to go overboard
We don't.

laneends
Has liked: 3 times

Post by laneends » Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:27 pm

A PLB should be mandatory for anyone solo in any craft over say 500m from shore. A kayak becomes invisible from shore very quickly

No need for all that gear for people playing on the beach with kayaks etc Which is were all those little ones belong. Not every kayak user is a fisho bent on disappearing over the horizon

barra mick
Has liked: 26 times

Post by barra mick » Wed Aug 02, 2017 5:43 am

cheaterparts wrote:
Sinsemilla wrote:I agree with everything you guys are saying but at the end of the day you cant save everyone. Its like the guy that loses it over the edge of a cliff because of crappy brakes or tires. Road worthy certificates stop this happening most of the time but there will always be those few that risk it.

Now that yaking is so big the government should make epirbs and safety gear compulsory in the salt. That will stop most people that want to just buy a cheap yak and cheap gear and get out there because an epirb and safety gear isn't cheap. It might make them think about what they are doing.

Anth
it becomes quite the problem - really I have an EPIRB and it is a requirement like a boat for off shore anything over 2 nm off the front beaches - now thats to big to put in your pocket so is attached to the kayak and thats connected with a lanyard the same as a boat
If I go over and loose contact with the yak I'm stuffed -- so that brings us to the PLB that will fit in a pocket but is not legal to use as the primary location device except in close - so do we need to carry both
then the other problem arises if you have a PLB it doesn't float upright so you have to hold that the right way up after setting it off - you may need 2 hands to hold you kayak if you can't re mount it

just wondering how many boating guys carry a PLB incase to go overboard
ive strspped my epirponto me on a few nasty condictions when ive been in isolated places.

sometimes just incase a croc got me ...at least they could find me...dead or half alive

nmgar

Post by nmgar » Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:15 am

cheaterparts wrote: just wondering how many boating guys carry a PLB incase to go overboard
I have one which is attached to my PFD.
Cheers,
Neil

Fish-cador
Has liked: 10 times

Post by Fish-cador » Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:02 pm

Epirb is cheaper than plb.

New fashion statement....ditch the fancy phones and attach an epirb on the belt. Leather case optional

laneends
Has liked: 3 times

Post by laneends » Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:51 pm

Fish-cador wrote:Epirb is cheaper than plb.

New fashion statement....ditch the fancy phones and attach an epirb on the belt. Leather case optional
Generally too big for personal attachment due to bigger battery. For "man overboard" situations dont need longest duration as it will be too late anyway.

Fish-cador
Has liked: 10 times

Post by Fish-cador » Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:58 am

laneends wrote:
Fish-cador wrote:Epirb is cheaper than plb.

Generally too big for personal attachment due to bigger battery. For "man overboard" situations dont need longest duration as it will be too late anyway.
Nothing is too late.

I will carry a truck battery if that will ensure my dead body can be found.

We carry tons of sinkers and wear waders. Will extra 500 grams kill you?

Yota
Has liked: 114 times

Post by Yota » Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:08 pm

I still haven't seen anything in the papers or heard anything on the radio if the fella has been located.
Anyone else ?

Queasy

Post by Queasy » Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:34 pm

barra mick wrote:
ive strapped my epirponto me on a few nasty condictions when ive been in isolated places.

sometimes just incase a croc got me ...at least they could find me...dead or half alive
Provided the croc knew how to set it off without crushing it....

barra mick
Has liked: 26 times

Post by barra mick » Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:10 pm

Queasy wrote:
barra mick wrote:
ive strapped my epirponto me on a few nasty condictions when ive been in isolated places.

Provided the croc knew how to set it off without crushing it....
You know how smart they are up there

Bm

Return to “Kayak Fishing”