Missing Kayaker 29/7/17

laneends
Has liked: 3 times

Re: Missing Kayaker 29/7/17

Post by laneends » Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:36 am

TBH a PFD would still probably not have saved him. If it took 4 days to find his bright yellow kayak. If he had stayed afloat they would have had less chance of finding him than they did the kayak. Without being able to survive prolonged immersion and some means of communication or location then you are cactus if you cant get back and there is no one around.

Inflatable PFDs can be hard to identify on CCTV, hence the answer to that question is not known for certain.

frozenpod
Has liked: 81 times

Post by frozenpod » Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:09 am

IMO every kayaker who is out of swimming range from land should have a waterproof floating handheld VHF.

https://www.whitworths.com.au/main_item ... lutePage=1

http://www.altronics.com.au/p/x0660-70- ... ansceiver/

Re licencing no kayakers don't need them and I don't see how they would be overly helpful.

Mattblack
Has liked: 625 times

Post by Mattblack » Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:06 am

Please, no more regulations, common sense used to be a human instinct and most people still exercise it.....plus I really don't want to have a wallet full of costly licenses to go surfing, snorkelling etc.
Thoughts go out to this poor guys family.

Fish-cador
Has liked: 10 times

Post by Fish-cador » Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:09 am

One reason i bought this....
Attachments
20170731_125846.jpg

laneends
Has liked: 3 times

Post by laneends » Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:41 am

frozenpod wrote:IMO every kayaker who is out of swimming range from land should have a waterproof floating handheld VHF.

Re licencing no kayakers don't need them and I don't see how they would be overly helpful.
Problem is it is only the kayakers who have spent big money on their kayaks who are willing to spend big money on safety items. Those that have bought the ebay cheapies for $300-400 as a "starter" are unlikely to then fork out hundreds more for PLBs etc when they are not even that committed to it yet. Again it comes back to an accessibility problem creating penny pinching at the entry level. These are also the kayakers who dont have the experience or skill sets either, and so make poor basic judgement calls

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Post by Nude up » Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:51 am

[quote="cheaterparts"][quote="purple5ive"]The reason i said get a licence is so that they are forced to learn basic navigational and marine rules to sit the test.

there was a recent post on lighting however how many licenced boat operators still don't use the correct lighting - now remember these are licenced operators yet how often do you see green and red lights on at anchor

This is true if at anchor you need only display a white all round light. If you are underway or drifting you have to put your port and starboard lights on.

I agree with mick idiots with no lights on should be booked and banned from using the waterways and made to resit the test

frozenpod
Has liked: 81 times

Post by frozenpod » Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:33 pm

laneends wrote:
Problem is it is only the kayakers who have spent big money on their kayaks who are willing to spend big money on safety items. Those that have bought the ebay cheapies for $300-400 as a "starter" are unlikely to then fork out hundreds more for PLBs etc when they are not even that committed to it yet. Again it comes back to an accessibility problem creating penny pinching at the entry level. These are also the kayakers who dont have the experience or skill sets either, and so make poor basic judgement calls
You have to pay to play.

cheaterparts
Has liked: 4 times

Post by cheaterparts » Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:35 pm

FishnMiss wrote:How many boaties do drills or practice re-entry if they fall overboard etc, or know the correct VHF terminologies etc, same for yakkers?
I know this comes with no surprise that is the first thing most experienced kayaker tells any new kayaking prospect - learn to re enter in deep water and preferably is conditions you are most likely to fall in ( thats not a wind still day at 35 deg only )

some of us that do regular surf days ( playing with the surfers ) we do re entries in the surf zone that is more extreme than most will ever need to do fishing
frozenpod wrote:IMO every kayaker who is out of swimming range from land should have a waterproof floating handheld VHF.

laneends wrote:
Keith has hit the nail on the head here -
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm - Elephant fish 85 Cm - Snapper 91 Cm - KG Whiting 49 Cm - Flathead 55 Cm - Garfish 47 Cm - Silver Trevally 40 Cm - Long Tail Tuna 86 Cm - snook 64 Cm - Couta 71 Cm - Sth Calamari 44 Cm hood - Cobia 117 cm

Cheater

cheaterparts
Has liked: 4 times

Post by cheaterparts » Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:42 pm

frozenpod wrote:You have to pay to play.
this atm it doen't hold true

for the more dedicated I agree -- some of these guys buy a 300 - 400 dollar kayak -- thats cheaper than my paddle

it's is a real problem better designed kayaks cost money and surprise surprise that are safer , fasted and handle bigger seas
but the guys that buy said better boats do equip with EPIRBS and or PLBs have Radios and Mobile phones in dry bags most have GPS and compasses
and of cause do the miles

as I also said before most of the better name brands are also sold by guys that know the sport so can advise
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm - Elephant fish 85 Cm - Snapper 91 Cm - KG Whiting 49 Cm - Flathead 55 Cm - Garfish 47 Cm - Silver Trevally 40 Cm - Long Tail Tuna 86 Cm - snook 64 Cm - Couta 71 Cm - Sth Calamari 44 Cm hood - Cobia 117 cm

Cheater

greggo
Has liked: 5 times

Post by greggo » Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:54 pm

cheaterparts wrote: I know this comes with no surprise that is the first thing most experienced kayaker tells any new kayaking prospect - learn to re enter in deep water and preferably is conditions you are most likely to fall in ( thats not a wind still day at 35 deg only )
Just a note to add to that: If you're going to use an inflatable PFD, practice re-entering with it inflated. It's surprisingly more difficult than expected.

Return to “Kayak Fishing”