Just bought a kayak.

cheaterparts
Has liked: 4 times

Re: Just bought a kayak.

Post by cheaterparts » Thu Jun 28, 2018 4:33 pm

cantcatchem wrote:
Provided you don't die of hyperthermia when you are 20 k's out and have to paddle back wet, I think that you are always at risk in a kayak and a boat, plenty of experienced boaties have died unexpectedly
first point why would you be cold if wet - back to the safety aspect - we wear thermal gear that holds heat when wet we use purpose built outer layers and if it was a still a problem and the guys in cold areas can get kayak dry suits and stay dry even while in the water

and if you are getting cold paddling 20 km you arn't doing it right it is fairly warm work

but of cause there is aways risk in all forms of boating - reducing the risk is the key - knowing your limits and your crafts limits are a great start
laneends wrote:A DECENT kayak in EXPERIENCED hands is safer than a small tinny in rough whether, you cant swamp a kayak and if it tips you can flip it over, climb back aboard and continue, neither does it sink bar structural failure.
hence we tell all newbs to practice deep water re entries - many of us have fallen in it just goes with the territory thats why we practice
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm - Elephant fish 85 Cm - Snapper 91 Cm - KG Whiting 49 Cm - Flathead 55 Cm - Garfish 47 Cm - Silver Trevally 40 Cm - Long Tail Tuna 86 Cm - snook 64 Cm - Couta 71 Cm - Sth Calamari 44 Cm hood - Cobia 117 cm

Cheater

baitworms

Post by baitworms » Thu Jun 28, 2018 5:10 pm

What can I say I might have been a bit rough on him, but it brought back a memory of the recovery of a Kayaker.
In the police report,
Had just purchased, no training, no building up his upper body, not wearing life jacket but one was in kayak. no nothing, he went out didn't come back.
I can still remember the wife and 3 young kids waiting when we come back in.
It was very sad.
A few type "o"s it should have been 6m

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Post by cobby » Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:04 pm

purple5ive wrote:
cobby wrote:
smile0784 wrote:
cobby wrote:
baitworms wrote:
OK body recovery is planned for but at what cost to your family.
Most people fishing on PPB have a 2.4 beam 5metre boat that can cop a wave,
Not sink on the first I metre wave.
Just think a wave 500 mm over the top that flattens you all extra's within the kayak sink.
And the water gets very cold very quick and you think, somebodies coming for you for being a nut.
8 mins at best your dead.
Why do you rely on other people for your crazy actions.
If a 5m boat had a 2.4m beam I'd be getting the highest possible extras cover on the private health insurance because by god you'd need every last cent spent on your back in such a boat!
Depends how hard you ride the boat.
I been out in a 2.5 mt swell at bermagui and different day half meter chop on westenport in the 5.2mt quintrex and my wasnt too bad when i got back.
I dont drive as hard as others in those conditions so i didnt find it a problem
But the beam of the quinny is no where near 2.4m. If it was, it'd be an even worse ride no matter how hard or soft you drive it. So bad, that only the absolute dumbest of people would buy one

The 233 Formula has a 2.4m beam, it's also over 7m long! A Haines 565L is just shy of 6m long and is only 2.2m across. sh*t, even the very wide CruiseCraft 530 Explorer is only 2.33m wide at 5.75m long! So again, 2.4m beam on a 5m boat is a recipe for chronic back pain in very little time
Not all boats are made the same though :-D

https://www.polycraft.com.au/model-rang ... re-console
It also rides completely different to the 3 I pointed out.

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:12 pm

baitworms wrote:What can I say I might have been a bit rough on him, but it brought back a memory of the recovery of a Kayaker.
In the police report,
Had just purchased, no training, no building up his upper body, not wearing life jacket but one was in kayak. no nothing, he went out didn't come back.
It was very sad.
Look at what you just posted. The issue is with the user, not the bay or kayaks generally.

Someone with a brand new yak they aren't familiar with, no experience, lacking fitness and no lifejacket is a danger to themselves in any body of water from a back yard pool to the open ocean.
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

baitworms

Post by baitworms » Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:26 pm

The bay is a beast, storms spring up and it turns into a washing machine.
No kayak should be out in those conditions but there are all the time.
And then there's the open ocean Bass strait is unforgiving its rough and a swell that starts west of Tasmania races across Bass Strait like a go kart.
People have to realise our weather is a killer. And there are sometimes of the year you shouldn't be out in a kayak.
BOM has said they don't get it right all the time, storms come from no where.
But by risky actions they put the Search & Rescuers at risk when it hits the fan.
Look to USA for statistics on Deaths in Kayaks.

Texas
Has liked: 221 times

Post by Texas » Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:27 pm

baitworms wrote:What can I say I might have been a bit rough on him, but it brought back a memory of the recovery of a Kayaker.
In the police report,
It was very sad.
Mate I understand where your coming from
You just need to tone it done a bit
Most regular contributors on this forum are safety conscious, those lurking may not be
Having been in the CFA for 20 years, I've seen heaps too
Car accidents, babies dieing of smoke inhalation, charred corpses in grow house etc etc etc
Some people you can hit with a baseball bat and they won't change
Believe me, subtle suggestions are best.
Thank you for your insight, but, there are f'wits everywhere that can't be educated
Cheers Gra

baitworms

Post by baitworms » Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:53 pm

Mate I understand where your coming from
You just need to tone it done a bit
Thank you for your insight, but, there are f'wits everywhere that can't be educated
Cheers Gra[/quote]

Quite true, but how do you get thru to people we'll run out of baseball bats.
Road rescue is one thing.
But recovery after sea-lice have been at it is disgusting.
We were out fishing, we knew of the "missing at sea report" asked to keep an eye out.
We went out as it calmed down to hit the king fish.
I wont go any further.
Thanks.

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Thu Jun 28, 2018 7:07 pm

baitworms wrote:The bay is a beast, storms spring up and it turns into a washing machine.
And then there's the open ocean Bass strait is unforgiving its rough and a swell that starts west of Tasmania races across Bass Strait like a go kart.
People have to realise our weather is a killer. And there are sometimes of the year you shouldn't be out in a kayak.
But by risky actions they put the Search & Rescuers at risk when it hits the fan.
I don't disagree with that, but you seem to be assuming no kayaker is capable of checking the forecast and making informed decisions about when and when not to go out. You should have a look at Vyak, those guys know the weather can be a killer and plan accordingly. There are organised surf days where people can meet up and practice re-entering a capsized kayak, and more information on safety gear than you know what to do with.

I can't speak for everyone on Vyak but I never go out on the kayak without a PFD, EPIRB, flares, compass, clothing that will stay warm even when wet and a spare paddle. The kayak I go offshore in is filled with foam so it won't sink even if it snapped in half. That kayak is long, light, stable, easy to paddle and hard to tip over, it's stable enough that even my fat arse can stay upright through surf. I feel safer in that kayak than I would in a lot of boats. If I wake up on the morning of a trip and the live weather updates on Fishranger are a little high I'll change plans to somewhere sheltered (this is not entirely out of self preservation, it's **** to fish in a kayak in high winds).

The ones who die are the ones who take risks by venturing out in **** weather, don't have appropriate safety equipment, over estimate their own capabilities, over estimate the capabilities of their particular kayak or are too ignorant or inexperienced to understand the risks. Again, this is not an issue with the bay or offshore as a place to kayak, this is a problem with the individuals involved.
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

baitworms

Post by baitworms » Thu Jun 28, 2018 7:43 pm

4liters wrote:
baitworms wrote:The bay is a beast, storms spring up and it turns into a washing machine.
I don't disagree with that, but you seem to be assuming no kayaker is capable of checking the forecast and making informed decisions about when and when not to go out. You should have a look at Vyak, those guys know the weather can be a killer and plan accordingly. There are organised surf days where people can meet up and practice re-entering a capsized kayak, and more information on safety gear than you know what to do with.

I can't speak for everyone on Vyak but I never go out on the kayak without a PFD, EPIRB, flares, compass, clothing that will stay warm even when wet and a spare paddle. The kayak I go offshore in is filled with foam so it won't sink even if it snapped in half. That kayak is long, light, stable, easy to paddle and hard to tip over, it's stable enough that even my fat arse can stay upright through surf. I feel safer in that kayak than I would in a lot of boats. If I wake up on the morning of a trip and the live weather updates on Fishranger are a little high I'll change plans to somewhere sheltered (this is not entirely out of self preservation, it's sh*t to fish in a kayak in high winds).

The ones who die are the ones who take risks by venturing out in sh*t weather, don't have appropriate safety equipment, over estimate their own capabilities, over estimate the capabilities of their particular kayak or are too ignorant or inexperienced to understand the risks. Again, this is not an issue with the bay or offshore as a place to kayak, this is a problem with the individuals involved.
Its not that some do the right thing, its uneducated f'wits that think their bullet proof.
Anyway my liver is cleaned I withdraw.

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Post by rb85 » Thu Jun 28, 2018 7:44 pm

baitworms wrote:
Quite true, but how do you get thru to people we'll run out of baseball bats.
Road rescue is one thing.
But recovery after sea-lice have been at it is disgusting.
We were out fishing, we knew of the "missing at sea report" asked to keep an eye out.
We went out as it calmed down to hit the king fish.
I wont go any further.
Thanks.
Reading through your comments it sounds like you have seen some terrible things in your time as a volunteer. So can understand you pleading to people to take care in your own way. The problem is in a lot of activities theres risk some people push the limits others are conservative then theres those who are oblivious or choose to ignore the dangers. Think most are somewhere between the first two unfortunately theres always going to be those who ignore the warning or friendly reminders.

Return to “Kayak Fishing”