Feel free Moken

Jucfishing

Feel free Moken

Post by Jucfishing » Sun Jul 29, 2018 8:42 am

Hi everyone,
I’m planning on getting a kayak for some inshore squidding and on lakes and rivers. I am planning on getting a feel free moken but I’m unsure what length to get. Cheers :thumbsup:
http://www.feelfreekayaks.com.au/kayaks ... -standard/

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Re: Feel free Moken

Post by smile0784 » Sun Jul 29, 2018 8:56 am

Biggest one you can afford lol

Jucfishing

Post by Jucfishing » Sun Jul 29, 2018 8:58 am

smile0784 wrote:Biggest one you can afford lol
Lol I was hoping you would say the cheapest one :rofl:

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Sun Jul 29, 2018 9:10 am

Lol i kow nothing about yaks but what i read on here.
To small for my liking.
Mite be idea to try victoria yak forum

There is a few yak fishos on here tho and they will charm in soon enough

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Sun Jul 29, 2018 10:11 am

There are a few guys who regularly fish off kayaks on here and I’m sure they will help you out mate.

gregmaka
Has liked: 97 times

Post by gregmaka » Sun Jul 29, 2018 11:52 am

I will be asking the same question on similar kayaks.I have just joined the kayak forum as well,and a few of the guys from here are there as well,which is a good thing.For me when pricing a kayak that would suit my needs,i need to also include all of the safety gear,life jacket,flares,etc,as it will bump it up a few more hundred easy.I don't realy want to buy something that will spoil my whole kayaking experience,as i also would like to get into the water as cheap as possible.I'm also considering second hand.

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Sun Jul 29, 2018 12:03 pm

For lure fishing get a pedal yak if you can afford one. On a paddle yak you can't easily move and cast at the same time - you are constantly alternating between holding your paddle and your rod. I found the most effective way was to guesstimate your drift direction, throw out a drift chute and drift over the target, then paddle back and reset. By comparison my pedal yak is like having a trolling motor, I am able to hold position over the target against wind and current while keeping my hands free for fishing.

If all you were doing was fishing at anchor there is very little difference between a pedal and paddle yak.

Definitely look at second hand yaks, you can usually find one fully fitted out for half the price of the yak and gear brand new.
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

cheaterparts
Has liked: 4 times

Post by cheaterparts » Sun Jul 29, 2018 12:47 pm

4liters wrote:For lure fishing get a pedal yak if you can afford one. On a paddle yak you can't easily move and cast at the same time - you are constantly alternating between holding your paddle and your rod. I found the most effective way was to guesstimate your drift direction, throw out a drift chute and drift over the target, then paddle back and reset. By comparison my pedal yak is like having a trolling motor, I am able to hold position over the target against wind and current while keeping my hands free for fishing.

If all you were doing was fishing at anchor there is very little difference between a pedal and paddle yak.

Definitely look at second hand yaks, you can usually find one fully fitted out for half the price of the yak and gear brand new.
I'll back this up Ian is on the money -- I myself don't use a peddle kayak but most of my fishing is at anchor or on the troll

basicly 10 foot or under are just damm hard work they don't track which makes paddling slow and into a wind or tide/river flow a problem

the 12 - 13 foot kayak will normally track better and this means more work from your paddle is pushing you forward and not just side to side and probably the best all round size

14 - 15 foot kayak are becoming better bay boats there length can turn out better speed so into a wind or tide flow is a better bet
my short kayak is in this range at 4.3 meters ( 14 and a bit feet )

now the real speed demons are the over 16 1/2 foot glass skis

4liters second kayak is about this length at 5 meters ( 16.4 feet ) and my second boat is 5.25 meters ( 17.22 feet) and I will probably go longer next time

as kayaks get longer they also get narrower so have less primary stability ( they feel tippy as soon as you sit on one ) but this is an advantage is bigger seas

so now after all this - for your first kayak 3.6 to 4 meters is a far better option that a 10 foot or under - quite often the SH market is well worth a look

something else worth mentioning a good paddle is well worth the investment - I'm not saying it has to be carbon fibre but a good quality fibreglass paddle makes the work load better

if you are interested I use a Braca sport Hurricane 720 in 60 % carbon and got it more for off shore - this thing is super light and stiff but they are costly - I also have the same blades in 20 % carbon and these are also a great paddle

https://seasherpa.com.au/collections/pa ... 2382813011
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm - Elephant fish 85 Cm - Snapper 91 Cm - KG Whiting 49 Cm - Flathead 55 Cm - Garfish 47 Cm - Silver Trevally 40 Cm - Long Tail Tuna 86 Cm - snook 64 Cm - Couta 71 Cm - Sth Calamari 44 Cm hood - Cobia 117 cm

Cheater

KeenAds
Has liked: 23 times

Post by KeenAds » Sun Jul 29, 2018 1:15 pm

I don't know a lot about yaks but you can hire yaks for fishing. Maybe give this a go first to get a feel of the one that suits you best and feel comfortable in.

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Post by rb85 » Sun Jul 29, 2018 4:34 pm

The new mirage drive 180 looks good.

Return to “Kayak Fishing”