Rip . Hasting kayak man

Sebb
Has liked: 3008 times

Re: Rip . Hasting kayak man

Post by Sebb » Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:46 pm

Wolly Bugger wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:56 am
However, when things like this happen it can be useful to review personal water safety generally, but it must be remembered that we do not know the unique factors that lead to this tragedy.
I was wondering that too.
How was the weather there on that day?
Sat had almost no wind (it was around 5kmh around Westgate - point cook).
I fished Avalon beach Sunday morning, was 20kmh wind at 6am then dropped to 5-10 kmh around 9am, the high tide was also 9am.
If Sommers had the same wind, good chance it wasn't the wind.
Again, we'll never know.
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

tbcha1
Has liked: 12 times

Post by tbcha1 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:10 pm

Really sad news. There are posts of it on land based pages on Facebook that he was on by his friend. Looks like a young man with a young family which makes this story even sadder. Not sure where people are getting that he didn't wear a life jacket. Haven't read it in any of the news reports. One of my worse fears when on the yak is falling out. When I first saw the news I went on windwilly and it said it was around 24km winds at Somers at 11am from what I remembered

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:21 pm

Seb85 wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:46 pm
Wolly Bugger wrote:
However, when things like this happen it can be useful to review personal water safety generally, but it must be remembered that we do not know the unique factors that lead to this tragedy.
I fished Avalon beach Sunday morning, was 20kmh wind at 6am then dropped to 5-10 kmh around 9am, the high tide was also 9am.
Again, we'll never know.
A member of Vyak saw them launch and noticed that one wasn’t wearing a PFD, and that they weren’t in very good kayaks for conditions.
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Post by rb85 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:48 pm

4liters wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:21 pm
Seb85 wrote:
Wolly Bugger wrote:
Again, we'll never know.
A member of Vyak saw them launch and noticed that one wasn’t wearing a PFD, and that they weren’t in very good kayaks for conditions.
What we do know is throughout the day there was winds from the east which was exactly whats forecast gusts from 12 knots from 630 am peaking at 17 knots at 5 pm. It was windy most of the day on Westernport

There was also a very strong runout tide with low tide around lunchtime.

I would be choosing more sheltered waters if I was that keen to go out on my kayak.

laneends
Has liked: 3 times

Post by laneends » Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:10 pm

rb85 wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:48 pm

I would be choosing more sheltered waters if I was that keen to go out on my kayak.
Problem is folks who are inexperienced in going out in the bay full stop, let alone on a kayak dont even thing to consider these possibilities. I know I didn't first time I went out.

Kayak fishing is seen everywhere now and hence seen as an easy "everyman" accessible thing. So the risk is rising due to sheer numbers

cheaterparts
Has liked: 4 times

Post by cheaterparts » Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:05 pm

4liters wrote:
Seb85 wrote:

Again, we'll never know.
Here's that post
maverick from the Vyak site wrote:At Somers this morning. Apparently still missing.

My wife and I saw 2 guys launching short cheapie fishing yaks this morning at Somers and I mentioned to her that it was a crap day to be going out in those. As soon as the tide turned it was going to turn to shite and no where to get back safely due to the exposed rocks at Somers.

Unfortunately my dogs headed the other way, so I didn't stop to say hello. Bugger, hope it wasn't one of them. My wife just mentioned the guy in the green yak wasn't wearing a pfd, when she walked past...

And yet the message doesn't seem to get through.

Hope they find the person alive.
laneends wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:10 pm
rb85 wrote:

Problem is folks who are inexperienced in going out in the bay full stop, let alone on a kayak dont even thing to consider these possibilities. I know I didn't first time I went out.

Kayak fishing is seen everywhere now and hence seen as an easy "everyman" accessible thing. So the risk is rising due to sheer numbers
and it will be an on going problem -
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm - Elephant fish 85 Cm - Snapper 91 Cm - KG Whiting 49 Cm - Flathead 55 Cm - Garfish 47 Cm - Silver Trevally 40 Cm - Long Tail Tuna 86 Cm - snook 64 Cm - Couta 71 Cm - Sth Calamari 44 Cm hood - Cobia 117 cm

Cheater

rb85

Post by rb85 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:46 pm

cheaterparts wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:05 pm
4liters wrote:
Seb85 wrote:

Again, we'll never know.
Here's that post
maverick from the Vyak site wrote:At Somers this morning. Apparently still missing.

My wife and I saw 2 guys launching short cheapie fishing yaks this morning at Somers and I mentioned to her that it was a crap day to be going out in those. As soon as the tide turned it was going to turn to shite and no where to get back safely due to the exposed rocks at Somers.

Unfortunately my dogs headed the other way, so I didn't stop to say hello. Bugger, hope it wasn't one of them. My wife just mentioned the guy in the green yak wasn't wearing a pfd, when she walked past...

And yet the message doesn't seem to get through.

Hope they find the person alive.
laneends wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:10 pm
rb85 wrote:

and it will be an on going problem -
Feel for maverick if it was me I’d be thinking what if....
Have pulled people out of rips and warned others off sending kids in there other times I’ve walked away hoping something didn’t go wrong.... unfortunately some people are naive to the risk.

Wolly Bugger
Has liked: 13 times

Post by Wolly Bugger » Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:05 am

How can I put this?

There can be laws, rules and regulations and not everyone will read them.

Take boating safety, for example, part of it is learning from mistakes and another part is through education.

It is the law that if you are in a boat under 4-8 metres, at night or by yourself that a life jacket must be worn, also in the rip crossing a bar etc. However, there will be two types of people, those who know the rules and ignore them and those who a naive or uneducated.

I could walk into BCF or Anaconda and buy a kayak that is totally useless for what I intend to use it for. No education, I could have all the safety gear, but if I choose not to use it, again it puts myself at risk.

Sometimes when we take risks we survive and nobody hears about it.

rb85

Post by rb85 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:25 am

Wolly ignorance isn’t an excuse even though I feel for the person who passed and his family when you partake in activities there’s laws to follow/learn and knowledge of local areas that need to be understood.

If one bloke had a life jacket and the other didn’t it clearly indicates that one person in the party understood the law or the risk involved.

On this site I have previously been ridiculed for being argumentative and suggesting someone wear a PDF at the beach which was somewhat out of frustration for a lack of respect to my local coastline.

Have also been criticised for recommending punchbowl to take kids.

People need to learn to respect the ocean and learn about how weather conditions effect certain areas. People die at punchbowl because they don’t understand the ocean, swells, winds and tides or don’t give a ****.

People die in the bay because they don’t understand or respect the risk involved. Ignorance is no excuse.

cheaterparts
Has liked: 4 times

Post by cheaterparts » Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:51 am

Wolly Bugger wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:05 am
How can I put this?

I could walk into BCF or Anaconda and buy a kayak that is totally useless for what I intend to use it for. No education, I could have all the safety gear, but if I choose not to use it, again it puts myself at risk.
you are petty much right Wooly

in fact I'll go one step further and say most Bcf - anaconda and ebay kayak fit the totally useless for the bays
these places that sell these pool toys are also the worst place to get good information
Yet they sell a lot of these pool toys - these are only ok on flat water with out wind and no distance to paddle - people that buy them as they have no idea how bad they are in anything but perfect conditions
the amount that post on Face book that they will buy one just to try out the sport is scary - the least experienced on the most dangerous fishing kayaks - never a great mix
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm - Elephant fish 85 Cm - Snapper 91 Cm - KG Whiting 49 Cm - Flathead 55 Cm - Garfish 47 Cm - Silver Trevally 40 Cm - Long Tail Tuna 86 Cm - snook 64 Cm - Couta 71 Cm - Sth Calamari 44 Cm hood - Cobia 117 cm

Cheater

Return to “Kayak Fishing”