Sounder for kayak angling.

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Re: Sounder for kayak angling.

Post by 4liters » Sat Apr 20, 2019 7:28 pm

rb85 wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 4:14 pm
What went wrong
various electrical issues. first one wouldn't turn on, second one stopped reading the depth properly (not a transducer issue, it did the same thing on my other kayak with a different transducer), third was the same.

I've got a hook 5 on one kayak and a Garmin stryker 5 on the other. I'll be selling the kayak with the Hook 5 soon and while I'm not sure what the sounder on the new kayak will be (I want something with a really good transducer) but I'm leaning away from another Lowrance. I've been pretty happy with the Garmin on my Slayer although I don't think I've quite got the settings optimised yet.
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Sat Apr 20, 2019 8:02 pm

cobby wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:03 pm
Garmin Striker 7SV. $599 in current bargain boat bits catalogue. No maps unless you create your own, but does everything else (and in my opinion better than Lowrance of equivilant value).
Any idea what transducer I should be looking at if I want to be able to pick up enough detail in 150m to easily identify bait schools and features like reefs, wreaks etc? I'd also like to be able to use it in shallower water.

It may well be the case that I can do this with a basic sounder if I play with the settings a bit but I know **** all about marine electronics and I'm not sure what the various models are capable of.

Obviously I could get a 1kw transducer with all the bells and whistles but ideally I just want the cheapest unit that will do the job.
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Post by cobby » Sat Apr 20, 2019 11:57 pm

4liters wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2019 8:02 pm
cobby wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:03 pm
Garmin Striker 7SV. $599 in current bargain boat bits catalogue. No maps unless you create your own, but does everything else (and in my opinion better than Lowrance of equivilant value).
Any idea what transducer I should be looking at if I want to be able to pick up enough detail in 150m to easily identify bait schools and features like reefs, wreaks etc? I'd also like to be able to use it in shallower water.

It may well be the case that I can do this with a basic sounder if I play with the settings a bit but I know **** all about marine electronics and I'm not sure what the various models are capable of.

Obviously I could get a 1kw transducer with all the bells and whistles but ideally I just want the cheapest unit that will do the job.
You won't get any downscan or sidescan at that depth. But any basic sounder with its in box transducer should be fine to 150m. Garmin website list the transducer model that comes with each sounder and also have a separate transducer page with all their specs. Don't know if lowrance have the same. The higher wattage the deeper the read, if the headunit can produce enough power

I know the gt52hw that comes with striker and echomap 7+9" models works ok to 210m. The dearer gt51 will read deeper

smokin_reels
Has liked: 308 times

Post by smokin_reels » Sun Apr 21, 2019 12:43 am

Ive got a Ti2-7 with the new active imaging transducer on my Hobie and I love it.

:thumbsup:
There is always more to learn , fish to catch , places to see and friends to make.

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Sun Apr 21, 2019 8:45 am

If you know how to setup and tune it properly and will use it ti its max then I suggest you get the biggest screen you can possibly get. It makes a big difference when using split screens and that sorta stuff.

Brands are a personal choice. I went with lowrance because it was the only model that hooked up to my trolling motor and offered features I wanted to use.
I've had 5 lowrance units on 2 boards so far and I've never had any issues. I've upgraded to newer units most times.
I will also most likely upgrade again ti the newer ti2 or now discontinued carbon unit when I can afford it.

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Post by rb85 » Sun Apr 21, 2019 8:55 am

purple5ive wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2019 8:45 am
If you know how to setup and tune it properly and will use it ti its max then I suggest you get the biggest screen you can possibly get. It makes a big difference when using split screens and that sorta stuff.

Brands are a personal choice. I went with lowrance because it was the only model that hooked up to my trolling motor and offered features I wanted to use.
I've had 5 lowrance units on 2 boards so far and I've never had any issues. I've upgraded to newer units most times.
I will also most likely upgrade again ti the newer ti2 or now discontinued carbon unit when I can afford it.
Purp are you talking 5 lowrances on your Kayak or Boat?
Im not brand loyal have had a lowrance on my boat was great upgraded to a raymarine which I didnt like so now run furuno which is fantastic.
The kayak I will go either Garmin, Hummingbird or Lowrance like you once I can afford it.

rb85

Post by rb85 » Sun Apr 21, 2019 8:56 am

smokin_reels wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2019 12:43 am
Ive got a Ti2-7 with the new active imaging transducer on my Hobie and I love it.

:thumbsup:
Good stuff will check it out mate.

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Sun Apr 21, 2019 10:17 am

rb85 wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2019 8:55 am
purple5ive wrote:

Im not brand loyal have had a lowrance on my boat was great upgraded to a raymarine which I didnt like so now run furuno which is fantastic.
The kayak I will go either Garmin, Hummingbird or Lowrance like you once I can afford it.
Yeah boats. Not boards hahah sorry.

3 on my first boat and 2 on my my 2nd. All upgraded to get the latest technology.
Lowrance and simrad are sister companies so techonology and user interface is almost 95% identical.
I stuck.with lowrance because I preferred the user interface than other brands i have seen.

rb85

Post by rb85 » Sun Apr 21, 2019 1:54 pm

purple5ive wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2019 10:17 am
rb85 wrote:
purple5ive wrote:

3 on my first boat and 2 on my my 2nd. All upgraded to get the latest technology.
Lowrance and simrad are sister companies so techonology and user interface is almost 95% identical.
I stuck.with lowrance because I preferred the user interface than other brands i have seen.
Good stuff Mate cheers.

Do you Bream/Bass guys use the sidescan a lot when searching for your quarry?
Kind of feel that having a good sounder will eliminate a lot of casts searching.

mazman
Has liked: 137 times

Post by mazman » Sun Apr 21, 2019 2:04 pm

rb85 wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2019 1:54 pm
purple5ive wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2019 10:17 am
rb85 wrote:
purple5ive wrote:

Good stuff Mate cheers.

Do you Bream/Bass guys use the sidescan a lot when searching for your quarry?
Kind of feel that having a good sounder will eliminate a lot of casts searching.
Yes, sidescan is great for finding where the fish are sitting. I'm still getting better at using it but already catching more because of it
Youtube channel:Hawkesy Fishing

Return to “Kayak Fishing”