Sounder for kayak angling.

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Re: Sounder for kayak angling.

Post by purple5ive » Sun Apr 21, 2019 4:59 pm

Yeah sidescan is definitely a game changer.
But you need to get good at reading it which comes with time.

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Post by rb85 » Sun Apr 21, 2019 5:55 pm

Thanks guys

SteveoTheTiger
Has liked: 182 times

Post by SteveoTheTiger » Sun Apr 21, 2019 6:30 pm

purple5ive wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2019 4:59 pm
There are plenty of great YouTube videos that give a good explanation of what you are seeing and what you are looking for.
The only thing better than serenity is a two stroke at full throttle!
Check out my Flickr Photostream

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Sun Apr 21, 2019 8:54 pm

SteveoTheTiger wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2019 6:30 pm
purple5ive wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2019 4:59 pm
There are plenty of great YouTube videos that give a good explanation of what you are seeing and what you are looking for.
yep, plenty out there. but seeing a video and seeing it in real life are 2 different things. tuning the sounder to read properly is half the problem.

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Fri Sep 27, 2019 11:32 am

cobby wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2019 11:57 pm
4liters wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2019 8:02 pm
cobby wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:03 pm
Garmin Striker 7SV. $599 in current bargain boat bits catalogue. No maps unless you create your own, but does everything else (and in my opinion better than Lowrance of equivilant value).
Any idea what transducer I should be looking at if I want to be able to pick up enough detail in 150m to easily identify bait schools and features like reefs, wreaks etc? I'd also like to be able to use it in shallower water.

It may well be the case that I can do this with a basic sounder if I play with the settings a bit but I know **** all about marine electronics and I'm not sure what the various models are capable of.

Obviously I could get a 1kw transducer with all the bells and whistles but ideally I just want the cheapest unit that will do the job.
You won't get any downscan or sidescan at that depth. But any basic sounder with its in box transducer should be fine to 150m. Garmin website list the transducer model that comes with each sounder and also have a separate transducer page with all their specs. Don't know if lowrance have the same. The higher wattage the deeper the read, if the headunit can produce enough power

I know the gt52hw that comes with striker and echomap 7+9" models works ok to 210m. The dearer gt51 will read deeper
BUMP!

It's nearly time to pull the trigger on one of these things, I'm tossing up between these two but they both have a their own potential advantages/drawbacks from what I can see online.

https://www.chsmith.com.au/Products/Gar ... inder.html
- gt52hw transducer (so in theory will they work to the same depth??)
- no built in maps
- may be able to download maps onto the unit via an app/wifi
- $450 cheaper
- I think this should be compatible with the GT20-TM transducer in the other kayak which means I can sell the Striker 5 head unit I have and swap the new head unit between the two kayaks.

https://www.chsmith.com.au/Products/Gar ... Combo.html
- gt52hw transducer (so in theory will they work to the same depth??)
- includes maps
- $450 more expensive

The big question is whether I can download maps and put them on the Striker via the app (I have no idea if I can get some open source maps for free and use those - I'll do it that way if I can but for the purposes of this I'll assume I have to pay for them). Does anyone know if this is the case? I can't see any mention of transferring maps onto the Striker online.

Another question is whether the EchoMap unit has better internal electronics that will get more out of the same transducer compared to the Striker, and if so what sort of difference I might expect? The descriptions on the links above suggest the EchoMap will go deeper, although they both say they have CHIRP.

If the EchoMap head unit is be compatible with the GT20-TM transducer on the other kayak that might sway me in that direction if I can't download maps onto the Striker.

It's a shame the more powerful transducers don't come with a smaller head unit, I don't really need a 7" screen as I'm sitting less than a meter away from it at all times.
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

Tim399
Has liked: 252 times

Post by Tim399 » Fri Sep 27, 2019 1:33 pm

I can’t contribute much in the way of sounders - I am still using an elite 4 CHIRP (old tech now) however I can vouch for the berleypro sun visors, although a little faded due to salt water environment I have no complaints about mine whatsoever. It allows me to run a slightly darker screen which increases battery life

EDIT: just realised I replied to an old post.. bugger

4liters

Post by 4liters » Fri Sep 27, 2019 3:54 pm

Tim399 wrote:
Fri Sep 27, 2019 1:33 pm
I can’t contribute much in the way of sounders - I am still using an elite 4 CHIRP (old tech now) however I can vouch for the berleypro sun visors, although a little faded due to salt water environment I have no complaints about mine whatsoever. It allows me to run a slightly darker screen which increases battery life

Yeah, I'll probably get one to try and get a bit more out of the battery for times when I'm spending a few nights down at Portland - probably a bit more important with the sounders with the larger screens. I'll need a yipaah stickaah for the kayak anyway so might as well get the sun shade at the same time.
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm

Tim399
Has liked: 252 times

Post by Tim399 » Fri Sep 27, 2019 4:48 pm

4liters wrote:
Fri Sep 27, 2019 3:54 pm
Tim399 wrote:
Fri Sep 27, 2019 1:33 pm

Yeah, I'll probably get one to try and get a bit more out of the battery for times when I'm spending a few nights down at Portland - probably a bit more important with the sounders with the larger screens. I'll need a yipaah stickaah for the kayak anyway so might as well get the sun shade at the same time.
If I were to buy another sounder I’d definitely get another one. It also helps reduce water on the screen (drives me crazy at times) but this may not be of help in your wetter ride ski. I’ll get to Portland one day...

cheaterparts
Has liked: 4 times

Post by cheaterparts » Fri Sep 27, 2019 6:31 pm

4liters wrote:
Fri Sep 27, 2019 11:32 am

It's a shame the more powerful transducers don't come with a smaller head unit, I don't really need a 7" screen as I'm sitting less than a meter away from it at all times.
Leejo just bought some lowrance touch screen thing in 7" with side scan now he's sooking about the drag the transducer makes with an off the rear transducer mount

it's a shame they don't in hull mount properly
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm - Elephant fish 85 Cm - Snapper 91 Cm - KG Whiting 49 Cm - Flathead 55 Cm - Garfish 47 Cm - Silver Trevally 40 Cm - Long Tail Tuna 86 Cm - snook 64 Cm - Couta 71 Cm - Sth Calamari 44 Cm hood - Cobia 117 cm

Cheater

4liters

Post by 4liters » Fri Sep 27, 2019 7:36 pm

cheaterparts wrote:
Fri Sep 27, 2019 6:31 pm
4liters wrote:
Fri Sep 27, 2019 11:32 am

Leejo just bought some lowrance touch screen thing in 7" with side scan now he's sooking about the drag the transducer makes with an off the rear transducer mount

it's a shame they don't in hull mount properly
Sounds like he needs to upgrade to some other fishing kayak

Return to “Kayak Fishing”