maybe a new project a strip built fishing ski

cheaterparts
Has liked: 4 times

maybe a new project a strip built fishing ski

Post by cheaterparts » Wed Jul 31, 2019 9:00 pm

I've moved this from Bretts post of the Krakka Yakka comp as it was not on topic
cheaterparts wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 6:48 am

as a matter of interest Ian I have been drawing up a new fishing ski to build - atm looking like 5.75 meters long 59 cm widest beam and around 20 kg to 22 kg in weight
should be quicker than the stealth - just need the time to start it

4liters wrote:
Mon Jul 29, 2019 9:08 pm
The new one going to be wood again?
if I get time yes another strip build Ian - just as a narrow fishing ski - should have a little longer water line than the 575 stealth sitting flat on the water
and be 7 or more Kg lighter - thats going on the weight of my first build and the extra surface areas
so far I have done a bit of a design and have a drawing in progress - juggling the drawing still to make enough stability to fish off and the lowest drag to be easy to paddle - and of cause building from Paulownia ( wood ) again

the above is my strip built sea kayak for those that don't know what I talking about

I've gone with the plan of a 575 as I already have a strong back and spacers to set up to this length and can run it fairly narrow on the water line due to my weight and height - atm 54 cm at the water line beam with the aprox weight of me and the yak
so should work out fast , light and stable enough to fish off - a bit of a custom off shore weapon
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm - Elephant fish 85 Cm - Snapper 91 Cm - KG Whiting 49 Cm - Flathead 55 Cm - Garfish 47 Cm - Silver Trevally 40 Cm - Long Tail Tuna 86 Cm - snook 64 Cm - Couta 71 Cm - Sth Calamari 44 Cm hood - Cobia 117 cm

Cheater

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Re: maybe a new project a strip built fishing ski

Post by smile0784 » Thu Aug 01, 2019 6:31 am

Really impressed if yours turns out like that.
Doesn't look like it's got a lot of storage tho

cheaterparts

Post by cheaterparts » Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:15 am

smile0784 wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 6:31 am
Really impressed if yours turns out like that.
Doesn't look like it's got a lot of storage tho
it is surprising how much storage my fast sea kayak has between the front and rear hatches - it;s not a fishing vessel though and not really stable enough for the average sea kayak trips - it was made to do one thing well go fast
it has a very round bottom and is only 47 cm wide at the water line @ my weight and the boat weight
it does cover distance well and the race I built it for I averaged 9.84 Kph over 13 km with some practice I should go faster
there is not a lot of rocker ether to keep a really long water line

As for a fishing ski the boat would be the same length 5.75 meter but with a wider water line and a flatter bottom to pick up primary stability
my fishing ski drawing atm has a 54 cm water line width - it also has more rocker to help in bigger chop
this may not seam a lot wider than the above but the righting moments are a lot different to my sea kayak - compare the difference at various deg of tilt 5deg - 2.75 ft lb 10deg 5.26 ft lb 15 deg 7.27 ft lb 20 deg 8.28 ft lb and dropping to 7.81 ft lb @ 25 deg with out a lot of bracing with the paddle the sea kayak will fall over at this point
now my drawing for the fishing ski 5 deg 8.96 ft lb 10 deg 17.32 ft lb 15 deg 24.43 ft lb 20 deg 28.38 ft lb 25 deg 29.51 ft lb and still 27.97 @ 30 deg

all of these figures go up as more is loaded on board and the weight stacked inside are low

the fishing ski also needs a fish storage hatch big enough to slide 4 rods inside for surf launches
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm - Elephant fish 85 Cm - Snapper 91 Cm - KG Whiting 49 Cm - Flathead 55 Cm - Garfish 47 Cm - Silver Trevally 40 Cm - Long Tail Tuna 86 Cm - snook 64 Cm - Couta 71 Cm - Sth Calamari 44 Cm hood - Cobia 117 cm

Cheater

laneends
Has liked: 3 times

Post by laneends » Thu Aug 01, 2019 12:07 pm

Wooden fishing sit on on top ski must be a world first?

Should keep you challenged with some new intricacies.

What I have been finding learning on my ORS is that I keep whacking the foredeck with the paddle when planting the catch as it doesn't have the cut out angles of the better quality skis. Any thoughts of incorporating similar cut outs given the fishing ski is wider? Dont want to make a mess of the nice wood finish.

cheaterparts

Post by cheaterparts » Thu Aug 01, 2019 4:31 pm

laneends wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 12:07 pm
What I have been finding learning on my ORS is that I keep whacking the foredeck with the paddle when planting the catch as it doesn't have the cut out angles of the better quality skis. Any thoughts of incorporating similar cut outs given the fishing ski is wider? Dont want to make a mess of the nice wood finish.
yes it is a problem - I have plenty of marks on the stealth from clipping it with the paddle and I also clip the sea kayak it could have been cut away better
As you will have found the better you get with the paddle and of cause try to work the wind blade better you get it in as close as possible to the yak at the catch and get the damm thing out of the water before it tries to tip you in the water

the deck section is something I'm still looking at - it would be good if there wasn't a fish hatch there to both narrow up the front for a better catch and also for better leg drive
but the centre hatch is so handy and easy to use on the water
My kayak PBs

Cheater

laneends

Post by laneends » Thu Aug 01, 2019 6:55 pm

I'm just going to put some reflective tape on that section to protect the paint. Being a cheapy mine is just painted, no gelcoat, so it scratches just by looking at it.

Having a skinny ski forces you to use leg drive as its an inherent point of balance, so you learn to paddle better out of necessity.

Someone on facebook marketplace is flogging a well used barca VII wing blade for $130 by the way in case you are interested

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Thu Aug 01, 2019 6:59 pm

cheaterparts wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 4:31 pm
laneends wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 12:07 pm
yes it is a problem - I have plenty of marks on the stealth from clipping it with the paddle and I also clip the sea kayak it could have been cut away better
As you will have found the better you get with the paddle and of cause try to work the wind blade better you get it in as close as possible to the yak at the catch and get the damm thing out of the water before it tries to tip you in the water

the deck section is something I'm still looking at - it would be good if there wasn't a fish hatch there to both narrow up the front for a better catch and also for better leg drive
but the centre hatch is so handy and easy to use on the water
What about some sort of retractable chute or drawer that you can pull out from above your feet? That way you could access the storage while it's pulled out and sitting on your legs, and slide fish down it into the bow, but then push it in out of the way when you want to paddle. You'd need quite a high bow to fit anything worthwhile in there
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:00 pm

laneends wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 6:55 pm

Someone on facebook marketplace is flogging a well used barca VII wing blade for $130 by the way in case you are interested
Is the blade angle 46 and a half degrees?
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

laneends

Post by laneends » Thu Aug 01, 2019 8:56 pm

4liters wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:00 pm
laneends wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 6:55 pm

Is the blade angle 46 and a half degrees?
Dont know
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/it ... 058593799/

Return to “Kayak Fishing”