Milk crate alternative for kayak

happyfriggincamper
Has liked: 556 times

Re: Milk crate alternative for kayak

Post by happyfriggincamper » Tue Sep 03, 2019 5:33 pm

Dont know from experience - but at a guess id agree bunnings is a good start for options and ideas. Thinkong you may want something with a lid and may have to do some diy hinges or something (if nothing with a hinged lid) so you don't risk losing the top of it

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Tue Sep 03, 2019 6:02 pm

You'd certainly want some way of keeping it attached. I've lost an esky lid off the back of the kayak, and that was a lot less aerodynamic than one of those plastic tub lids.
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

Sebb
Has liked: 3001 times

Post by Sebb » Tue Sep 03, 2019 6:26 pm

Yup, will definitely look for hinged tub or use zip ties to make hinges as a cheap way.
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

Texas
Has liked: 221 times

Post by Texas » Tue Sep 03, 2019 6:26 pm

There was a place at Werribee Plaza called Howards storage, it's gone now
They had heaps of different containers, maybe there're still around somewhere
Glad wrap the milk crate (I use the term "milk crate" in generic terms as, it illegal to use "real" milk crates)
Hope you find what you need, don't settle for "I can make it work"
Cheers Gra

Bugatti

Post by Bugatti » Tue Sep 03, 2019 6:48 pm

In my opinion Seb (hold on, why is everyone rolling their eyes :-D ) , , , , do I have an opinion on everything ;-)

There are some really great options, I'm leaning towards an Esky but definitely with hinges.

I do remember seeing some waterproof" boxes/cases for equipment (like these pictured) and thought quite cool. Something like that would work well, but not this brand as their price tag was :o_0:

Seb 1.PNG

Seb 2.PNG

UV stabalised is key, some of the cheaper tubs aren't. Also, you might have to become a "Bracket Making Master", as the rod tubes might hinder the opening of any tub. Also fixing it/strapping it to the Yak isn't going to be easy either.

Good luck Seb, hope you find something that suits and with enough cash left for some Chocolates for that lovely wife of yours , , , , plus the Chocolate buys you Brownie Points , , , , see Bugatti is always thinking :-D

Cheers, Bug

croe04
Has liked: 161 times

Post by croe04 » Tue Sep 03, 2019 6:55 pm

Found this one that looks pretty good - https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/ENGEL-19L-C ... SwdJ1c70ZH Not too expensive, seems to have trays, water resistant and UV resistant as Bugatti recommended. Might get one myself to stop me going to the trouble of jerry rigging rod holders to my toolbox
Attachments
s-l500.jpg

Bugatti

Post by Bugatti » Tue Sep 03, 2019 7:16 pm

croe04 wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 6:55 pm
Found this one that looks pretty good - https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/ENGEL-19L-C ... SwdJ1c70ZH Not too expensive, seems to have trays, water resistant and UV resistant as Bugatti recommended. Might get one myself to stop me going to the trouble of jerry rigging rod holders to my toolbox
croe cool.PNG

croe, yoooo da maaan :notworthy:

I was actually searching for those hard case coolers, but couldn't find one that I thought was adequate. Maaan, you found one better, it has rod holders.

That Rodholder thing on it is enough to buy THAT. While searching, I couldn't find any that attaching rodholder tubes wouldn't affect the opening of the lid. AND fixing them to the Cooler would have been hard.

That one (as long as it is or can get the right size) is worth the dollars , , , , as dollars would be chewed in setting that up.

croe04 , , , , you get the , , , , Golden Bugatti :thumbsup:

Golden Bugatti.PNG

Texas wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 6:26 pm
don't settle for "I can make it work"
Cheers Gra

And Tex is right

I have seen many attempts at doing something and those people have regretted what they have done as they thought they could get by or make it work.

Cheers, Bug

croe04
Has liked: 161 times

Post by croe04 » Tue Sep 03, 2019 7:34 pm

Bugatti wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 7:16 pm
croe04 wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 6:55 pm

croe cool.PNG

croe, yoooo da maaan :notworthy:

I was actually searching for those hard case coolers, but couldn't find one that I thought was adequate. Maaan, you found one better, it has rod holders.

That Rodholder thing on it is enough to buy THAT. While searching, I couldn't find any that attaching rodholder tubes wouldn't affect the opening of the lid. AND fixing them to the Cooler would have been hard.

That one (as long as it is or can get the right size) is worth the dollars , , , , as dollars would be chewed in setting that up.

croe04 , , , , you get the , , , , Golden Bugatti :thumbsup:

Golden Bugatti.PNG

Texas wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 6:26 pm
don't settle for "I can make it work"
Cheers Gra

And Tex is right

I have seen many attempts at doing something and those people have regretted what they have done as they thought they could get by or make it work.

Cheers, Bug
Wow.. The golden bugatti! When's the award ceremony? :a_goodjob: :super:
Just doing what I can to help out fellow members of the forum. Everyone here has helped me get a long way with all the tips and advice, just returning the favour :)

Tim399
Has liked: 251 times

Post by Tim399 » Tue Sep 03, 2019 7:44 pm

Something else worth considering is re-entry access for whichever kayak you end up buying. For this reason I have left a clear path from the stern of my kayak to the seat as it is easiest to re-mount from the stern, because the sides are a little on the high side with the rails and fishing rod holders. If there was a crate or esky taking up the rear well I would have to scramble over this in presumably rough weather (less likely to capsize in calm weather).
Safety should always come before convenience :thumbsup:

Sebb
Has liked: 3001 times

Post by Sebb » Tue Sep 03, 2019 7:49 pm

Thanks Bug, thanks Croe.
That engel cool box looks great! Hopefully it'll fit the kayak.
Thanks, more options for me to try when I get the kayak.
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

Return to “Kayak Fishing”