Re-entry onto a Kayak - Options?

Bugatti

Re: Re-entry onto a Kayak - Options?

Post by Bugatti » Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:47 pm

Seb, get one. And the Personal ones not the Boat ones

And spend the couple extra dollars and get the one with the GPS positioning ability. You get located more accurately and found faster

Seb85 wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 6:51 pm

Again, no money left to spend, would love to get Engel box with built in rod holder.
Seb, think of it this way. We spend to get out there, so spend to safeguard getting back. I appreciate money can be an evil shortcoming, but even if you work towards getting on eventually.

Adrian has a Personal one, which Pam got him. Peace of mind for him and Pam.

Bugatti

Sebb
Has liked: 2999 times

Post by Sebb » Tue Sep 17, 2019 6:43 am

Bugatti wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:47 pm

And spend the couple extra dollars and get the one with the GPS positioning ability. You get located more accurately and found faster
Seb85 wrote:

Again, no money left to spend, would love to get Engel box with built in rod holder.
Seb, think of it this way. We spend to get out there, so spend to safeguard getting back. I appreciate money can be an evil shortcoming, but even if you work towards getting on eventually.

Bugatti
Thanks Bug, will get a PLB I guess.
Doesn't matter how hard, we can always try to find money. Safety and peace of mind are priceless.
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

mazman
Has liked: 137 times

Post by mazman » Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:34 am

Seb85 wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 6:43 am
Bugatti wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:47 pm

Seb85 wrote:

Bugatti
Thanks Bug, will get a PLB I guess.
Doesn't matter how hard, we can always try to find money. Safety and peace of mind are priceless.
Bugatti, there's a little more to it than just getting a plb. Each device has its own benefits and drawbacks specific to kayaking and a plb isn't the right choice for everyone.

Seb the main differences between a plb and epirb is that an epirb has to float antenna up, has longer battery life once activated, is registered to a vessel rather than an individual and is a legal requirement for going 2nm offshore currently.

There is a lot of discussion on vyak regarding the pros and cons of each, how they have them set up and if you are looking to make a decision on which to get I would highly recommend reading it and understanding which one is more suited to your intended use and why.
Last edited by mazman on Wed Sep 18, 2019 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Youtube channel:Hawkesy Fishing

Sebb

Post by Sebb » Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:49 am

mazman wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:34 am
Seb the main differences between a plb and epirb is that an epirb has to float antenna up, has longer battery life once activated, is registered to a vessel rather than an individual and is a legal requirement for going 2nm offshore currently.

There is a lot of discussion on vyak regarding the pros and cons of each, how they have them set up and if you are looking to make a decision on which to get I would highly recommend reading it and understanding which one is more suited to your intended use and why.
Thanks Maz, I'll check vyak :tu:

cheaterparts
Has liked: 4 times

Post by cheaterparts » Tue Sep 17, 2019 12:06 pm

mazman wrote:

Buggati as far as safety and legislation is concerned its probably best you comment on what you know.

as the Mazman said there are pros and con of each

I use a full epirb but then I go off shore and it is a requirement ( 2 Nm or 3.7 Km in funny little french measurements ) off shore not the bays which are inclosed waters
both a PLB or an EPIRB need to be registered which is cost free - both come with a 10 year battery life so a PLB @ about $ 240 or $ 24 per year is pretty cheap insurance
my EPIRB was about $ 270 again $ 27 per year

http://www.vyak.net/forum/viewtopic.php ... rb#p273368

http://www.vyak.net/forum/viewtopic.php ... rb#p274343
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm - Elephant fish 85 Cm - Snapper 91 Cm - KG Whiting 49 Cm - Flathead 55 Cm - Garfish 47 Cm - Silver Trevally 40 Cm - Long Tail Tuna 86 Cm - snook 64 Cm - Couta 71 Cm - Sth Calamari 44 Cm hood - Cobia 117 cm

Cheater

Sebb

Post by Sebb » Tue Sep 17, 2019 12:21 pm

cheaterparts wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 12:06 pm
mazman wrote:

Buggati as far as safety and legislation is concerned its probably best you comment on what you know.

as the Mazman said there are pros and con of each

I use a full epirb but then I go off shore and it is a requirement ( 2 Nm or 3.7 Km in funny little french measurements ) off shore not the bays which are inclosed waters
both a PLB or an EPIRB need to be registered which is cost free - both come with a 10 year battery life so a PLB @ about $ 240 or $ 24 per year is pretty cheap insurance
my EPIRB was about $ 270 again $ 27 per year

http://www.vyak.net/forum/viewtopic.php ... rb#p273368

http://www.vyak.net/forum/viewtopic.php ... rb#p274343
Thanks, good info there on vyak :tu:

Return to “Kayak Fishing”