New to Kayak fishing - looking for others to fish with

yogogorilla
Has liked: 1 time

New to Kayak fishing - looking for others to fish with

Post by yogogorilla » Wed Sep 25, 2019 3:04 pm

Hey everyone,

Been reading the forums for a while but not really posting much.

After wrestling between buying a boat and kayak, I finally decided on getting a Hobie and absolutely loving it.

Looking for some others to fish with, if anyone is else is looking for others to fish with, please get in touch. I mainly target estuary, lakes and rivers but also keen to start looking at hitting up just off shore around the bay.

Cheers

Shannon

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Re: New to Kayak fishing - looking for others to fish with

Post by Lightningx » Wed Sep 25, 2019 3:18 pm

Hi Shannon!
Congrats on the new purchase and welcome to the forum :)
Cheers :tu:

cheaterparts
Has liked: 4 times

Post by cheaterparts » Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:37 pm

yogogorilla wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 3:04 pm

Looking for some others to fish with, if anyone is else is looking for others to fish with, please get in touch. I mainly target estuary, lakes and rivers but also keen to start looking at hitting up just off shore around the bay.

Cheers

Shannon
There are a few guys here that kayak fish as you would have noticed - there is always a degree of Safety in kayaking with others , the problem with new guys is being up to speed

hopefully you have practised re entries - being able to re mount in deep water by your self in any conditions you fish in
not being able puts you and other guys you may be with in more danger

you may find more guys over on Vyak that fish the same areas as your self and would be worth a look to see
with the Snapper season just starting to move there will be quite a few venturing out around Altona - Willy - Rickets point most of these area would probably suit you

I myself normally fish alone or with only a few other kayakers and it's not a being snobby thing , more the fact that they need to be able to cover distance at a fair speed and handle at times less than ideal conditions - a pretty normal day on Westernport would be 15 - 20 km on the paddle sometimes more
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm - Elephant fish 85 Cm - Snapper 91 Cm - KG Whiting 49 Cm - Flathead 55 Cm - Garfish 47 Cm - Silver Trevally 40 Cm - Long Tail Tuna 86 Cm - snook 64 Cm - Couta 71 Cm - Sth Calamari 44 Cm hood - Cobia 117 cm

Cheater

yogogorilla
Has liked: 1 time

Post by yogogorilla » Wed Sep 25, 2019 11:10 pm

cheaterparts wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:37 pm
yogogorilla wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 3:04 pm

Cheers

Shannon

There are a few guys here that kayak fish as you would have noticed - there is always a degree of Safety in kayaking with others , the problem with new guys is being up to speed

hopefully you have practised re entries - being able to re mount in deep water by your self in any conditions you fish in
not being able puts you and other guys you may be with in more danger

you may find more guys over on Vyak that fish the same areas as your self and would be worth a look to see
with the Snapper season just starting to move there will be quite a few venturing out around Altona - Willy - Rickets point most of these area would probably suit you

I myself normally fish alone or with only a few other kayakers and it's not a being snobby thing , more the fact that they need to be able to cover distance at a fair speed and handle at times less than ideal conditions - a pretty normal day on Westernport would be 15 - 20 km on the paddle sometimes more
Thanks Cheater,

I have a hobie (which I got to test drive a friends a few times before buying), so the paddling thing isn’t as big of deal, I use to bike ride a lot so, a few KM isn’t my concern.

Spot on with the re-entry. I’ll be practising that next week in a familiar ground that I use to fish on foot. Weather permitting.

As mentioned, I’m looking mainly at estuary, lakes and rivers to begin with.

Good luck with your snapper hunting.

cheaterparts
Has liked: 4 times

Post by cheaterparts » Thu Sep 26, 2019 6:30 am

yogogorilla wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 11:10 pm

Good luck with your snapper hunting.
no worries - I have 1 so far this season @ 77 cm but Tuna and Kingfish are more in my sights
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm - Elephant fish 85 Cm - Snapper 91 Cm - KG Whiting 49 Cm - Flathead 55 Cm - Garfish 47 Cm - Silver Trevally 40 Cm - Long Tail Tuna 86 Cm - snook 64 Cm - Couta 71 Cm - Sth Calamari 44 Cm hood - Cobia 117 cm

Cheater

Return to “Kayak Fishing”