3.9 mako kayak

Gummysmasher

3.9 mako kayak

Post by Gummysmasher » Thu Dec 26, 2019 10:47 am

First off, merry Christmas and a happy new year to all!

Just after some help/clarification on a present I got yesterday. I got a seak 3.9 mako kayak, which I’m over the moon with and can’t wait to get started on !. I jave very little to no knowledge on kayaks. I see it has foot pedals but no apparent device that acts as a propeller, but then why have the pedals or is this just a foot rest ? Or could I purchase something can do this and if so what is it so I can take advantage of the sales on at the moment.
Also some advice on installing the rudder as I get more confused every time I look at it and cannot find any relevant instructions/YouTube installation vids.

Also looking at installing a small sounder that tells me the depth and that’s really all I want nothing too flash but not nothing rubbish.

Cheers guys !

bilby

Re: 3.9 mako kayak

Post by bilby » Thu Dec 26, 2019 4:24 pm

For a moment, I thought this post was about catching a 3.9m mako shark from a kayak ... which, come to think of it, would be a very, very bad idea.

Tim399
Has liked: 252 times

Post by Tim399 » Thu Dec 26, 2019 5:33 pm

Looking at the mako 3.9, I think the peddles are for the rudder system. You may need to contact the seller for installation instructions of the rudder. My first kayak is very similar to this model, good bang for buck for a new kayak

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Thu Dec 26, 2019 5:48 pm

Those are the rudder pedals, I'm not sure how you go about installing the rudder on one of those but it can't be that hard I'd imagine.

I think there's a cheap Lowrance sounder for around $100 or so that would tell you the depth. Does that kayak have a scupper for a transducer? If not you'll probably need to mount the transducer in the hull.
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

cheaterparts
Has liked: 4 times

Post by cheaterparts » Thu Dec 26, 2019 8:39 pm

Gummysmasher wrote:
Thu Dec 26, 2019 10:47 am

Just after some help/clarification on a present I got yesterday. I got a seak 3.9 mako kayak, which I’m over the moon with and can’t wait to get started on !. I jave very little to no knowledge on kayaks.

Cheers guys !
worth a read if you are just starting out http://www.vyak.net/forum/viewforum.php?f=8 this is the safety section on Vyak it covers most things to try and keep you safe on the water
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm - Elephant fish 85 Cm - Snapper 91 Cm - KG Whiting 49 Cm - Flathead 55 Cm - Garfish 47 Cm - Silver Trevally 40 Cm - Long Tail Tuna 86 Cm - snook 64 Cm - Couta 71 Cm - Sth Calamari 44 Cm hood - Cobia 117 cm

Cheater

Sebb
Has liked: 3010 times

Post by Sebb » Fri Dec 27, 2019 7:55 am

Grats on the kayak!
Yes, like everyone has said, its the rudder control foot pedal thing.
Play around with it when you're on water and you'll know how to use it.
For starters, make sure you got a PFD that suits you and where you fish. Take safety seriously. Read Cheaterparts' post, good info there.
I have Lowrance hook2 x4, bought around $100ish. Enough to show the depth, water temperature and structures.
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

croe04
Has liked: 161 times

Post by croe04 » Fri Dec 27, 2019 9:15 am

Congrats on the purchase! length wise you chose well, 3.9 metres is good and long enough for work in the bay.
Already been said that the foot pedals are for controlling the rudder, i would recommend using it because especially in more beginner oriented yaks it will help with tracking tremendously.
I just got a Lowrance Hook2 4x from my girlfriend for christmas, on sale you can pick it up around 100 bucks and it will show depth, temp and structure well and is decent at picking up bait and fish arches, good beginner sounder for a yak.
You'll need a battery to power the sounder, guys on here will pretty unanimously vouch for FPV-Power kayak batteries, they're great.
Like seb has said take safety very seriously, read the guide cheater posted and always wear relevant safety gear.
Stay safe and have fun out on the water.
cheers

laneends
Has liked: 3 times

Post by laneends » Sat Dec 28, 2019 7:40 am

probably need a kayak trolley as that beast wont be light.

Topha83

Post by Topha83 » Mon Jan 06, 2020 5:52 pm

The pedals are to steer the rudder, via the cables may need adjustment to get right, if you want power a watersnake electric motor can be easily fitted

cheaterparts
Has liked: 4 times

Post by cheaterparts » Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:43 am

Topha83 wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 5:52 pm
The pedals are to steer the rudder, via the cables may need adjustment to get right, if you want power a watersnake electric motor can be easily fitted
Or you could use a paddle. They run longer than a lecky motor. Normally at a faster speed Doesn’t add extra weight like a battery does. Doesn’t make the kayak less stabile. In fact adds stability though bracing.
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm - Elephant fish 85 Cm - Snapper 91 Cm - KG Whiting 49 Cm - Flathead 55 Cm - Garfish 47 Cm - Silver Trevally 40 Cm - Long Tail Tuna 86 Cm - snook 64 Cm - Couta 71 Cm - Sth Calamari 44 Cm hood - Cobia 117 cm

Cheater

Return to “Kayak Fishing”