Samarai Reaction rods.

Rod Bender

Samarai Reaction rods.

Post by Rod Bender » Sun Aug 31, 2014 12:10 pm

Hi all
So I have been eyeing off a couple of these at the local 'Compleat Angler'. The 'Reaction' model is being replaced, if not already replaced. First of all, interested if anyone has any, their opinions of them or general knowledge of the brand...me thinks they are pretty good!
A couple or ones I have looked at are a 1 piece, 7ft (I think) 2 - 6lb line rating with a medium fast action. The second one is a 7ft, 1 piece, 6 - 12lb fast action rod.

I tried one of them in the store with a Daiwa TD Sol 2, 2004 that I have and it feels fine. In regards to specs (line rating etc) these are what I want but my main question, would both rods be suitable for casting plastics or more suited to hard bodies (regarding the action)? Does it matter?
thanks in advance
Jim
Proudly sponsoring Trelly's Tackleworld and Boats & More!

JoshW

Re: Samarai Reaction rods.

Post by JoshW » Sun Aug 31, 2014 12:43 pm

I saw the new ones in Tackleworld yesterday, they feel really nice. I've heard a lot of good things about the old model 201's (2-6lb fast) and have seen then for around $220 recently. Fairly sure the new ones have a similar blank, but a different set up in the handle.

I had a 402 (10-20lb) and it was nice and light but a bit soft for what I was after.

CarlG
Has liked: 1 time

Post by CarlG » Sun Aug 31, 2014 12:51 pm

Got a 7' one piece 6-8kg Sammy that I had built up as a ppb / shallow westernport snapper cum gummy rod. Very happy with it. Had a couple of 1200mm+ gummies on it, some big-ass rays, never missed beat, very confident in it.

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Post by cobby » Sun Aug 31, 2014 2:23 pm

The 201 2-6lb is my ppb snapper rod. Great rods.

JoshW

Post by JoshW » Sun Aug 31, 2014 2:55 pm

cobby wrote:The 201 2-6lb is my ppb snapper rod. Great rods.
I've never actually held this model, is it quite stiff? Hoping to pick one up cheap second hand for exactly what you just stated.

Rod Bender

Post by Rod Bender » Sun Aug 31, 2014 3:23 pm

The action of the 2 - 6lb rod is 'medium fast'. Would this be a rod that one would use soft plastics on? Same question regarding the 'fast' action rod? Not that familiar with the plastics casting.
cheers
Jim
Proudly sponsoring Trelly's Tackleworld and Boats & More!

JoshW

Post by JoshW » Sun Aug 31, 2014 5:47 pm

Rod Bender wrote:The action of the 2 - 6lb rod is 'medium fast'. Would this be a rod that one would use soft plastics on? Same question regarding the 'fast' action rod? Not that familiar with the plastics casting.
cheers
Jim
Not sure about the new models, but on the old ones there were two - a fast (201) and a medium fast (203).

The one you're talking about is probably best for hardbodies. Because it's a bit 'softer' it's better for keeping treble hooks in fishes mouths without ripping them out.

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Post by cobby » Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:32 pm

Theres definitely stiffer (faster) tips in other makes, but the butt end packs a punch. 2kg fish may buckle 3/4 of the rod, there's a bucket load of power left and the fish come up reasonably quick. In general the 201 for plastics, 203 with the slower action for hard bodies

Return to “Fishing Rods & Reels”