Shimano Baitrunner 6000 OC for Mulloway fishing?

kaotay

Re: Shimano Baitrunner 6000 OC for Mulloway fishing?

Post by kaotay » Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:00 am

Those runs sure get the heart racing! Especially when they run towards/under you, have to reel like crazy to get some control of the fish!

barra mick
Has liked: 26 times

Post by barra mick » Tue Jan 27, 2015 12:26 pm

Plenty of big mulloway down here for sure !

Just need to put a bit if time in and then hope the lucks on your side.

Cheers bm
you gotta hav a crack even if yr just pissin in the wind

docauonline

Post by docauonline » Tue Mar 03, 2015 12:47 pm

I think, if you use shimano 8000D safer!

seephil
Has liked: 37 times

Post by seephil » Tue Mar 03, 2015 1:47 pm

bilby wrote:Thanks for your advice, everyone. I ended up buying the 8000 OC and spooled it up with 25lb Platypus high abrasion resistant line. I took it out for a test this week - caught nothing on it the first day (with a small 50 cm mulloway on another rod). The second session, however, the bait runner had its first workout, with a massive fish screaming off with the bait. The bait runner function did its job flawlessly - it was a great moment to hear the runner going and then flip the handle into drag mode and hear the drag zinging on the reel. I did indeed manage to stop the fish reaching the pylon that had caused me grief in the past and managed to lead it out into the main channel. I thought I was ok, as did my brother who was ready with the net, but the fish swung out wide and then came back towards me, straight under the wharf and into structure. The line held for a few minutes while the fish was holed up around a pylon, but even thought I was still connected and could feel the head shakes, I couldn't prise it out and the line snapped. After reeling it in, I found that the 40lb leader had given way before the damaged main line, which was strange. Maybe it was cut on a mussel shell? In any case, an exciting "test", but I'm still not happy with losing yet another big mulloway.
Shattered to hear the leader broke mate... But it would have been the perfect way to christen your new reel. :thumbsup:
90% chance the mussels got you mate.
Oh well :clap: TOP EFFORT
Better luck next time mate.

Return to “Fishing Rods & Reels”