Baitcasters vs egg beater reels

szero25

Re: Baitcasters vs egg beater reels

Post by szero25 » Thu Aug 21, 2014 2:04 pm

Ok i don't use bait casters per say, i do however use an overhead reel so i thought i might just give my 2 cents on reels.

so when i started using my abu overhead for surf fishing, the first few times were well.... painful.
If you don't get the casting drag correct the thing spins itself into oblivion, and you spend the rest of your time undoing knots.

That said i re-spooled it with some better mono, and tried to balance the drag out better to the weight of the sinker, and from experience you need to start of with it fairly tight at first just to get your thumb used to stopping the spool when the line starts to slacken, i used it a few weeks back off the rocks and I actually found that its really a lot smoother and easier to cast further when you get going and also if you have more weight on, you don't have to worry about cutting your hand up like of a egg beater from friction burns.

As for egg beaters obviously much easier to cast and use, I actually went out and got a donk penn spinfisher 950ssm for heavy rock and beach fishing, and i am now finding that it's just that little bit to hard to cast with 40lb braid and a heavy wait on the other end. that said though as general purpose use i reckon egg beaters are still better all rounders, but for casting further and better drag control i love my overhead.

I think it really depends on your preference for fishing, all reels have a learning curve, my mate swears by the robustness and simplicity of his alvey for surf and rock fishing, however it still took him ages to find the reel and rod combo that worked for him, and even then you still have issues like mono vs braid and rig setup it's all trial and error, and even then you still have **** days with gear not working properly or wind knots etc, and just because an alvey for the beach, doesn't mean you can go down to the local pond and used to the same effectiveness.

If your going to do predominantly lure fishing then a bait caster makes sense, but even then still be prepared for birds nests, weighting and wind issues and whatever else mother nature throws at you on a bad day.

eslop

Post by eslop » Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:35 pm

I use spin for light lures. Trout, reddies etc. But baitcaster for cod or yellas.

Practice with a baitcaster is the only way you'll get use to them. And learn how to control the weight for casting.
Cheers, Scott.

pb's
Murray Cod: 92 on spinnerbait, 81 on surface lure, 74 on bait
Golden Perch: 49 on TN60
Redfin: 41 on TN60
Brown Trout: 68 on SP
Rainbow: maybe 10
Mudmarlin: 78

ChrisD
Has liked: 24 times

Post by ChrisD » Fri Aug 22, 2014 11:59 am

Thanks All - going out for another look over the weekend for a look, but I am leaning towards sticking with the egg beater.
I am sure baitcasters have their place, but think I am better sticking with what I know.
Hoping to find the combo that suits this weekend and finally replace the $20 Kmart outfits I have been using for a few year now.

tuna tube

Post by tuna tube » Sat Aug 23, 2014 12:31 pm

barra mick wrote:In the interest of fair play nude up best we put tuna tube through the 'two day handline course" before the snapper season begins.
Where do I sign up for this hand line course? I hope I can get a spot before the crimson tide comes.
And do snapper grow to 1 kg? Didn't know they get that big! :rofl:
Cheers
The Tube

Bartnmax

Post by Bartnmax » Sat Aug 23, 2014 9:52 pm

ChrisD wrote:While I am looking at a couple of new rods and reels - I am seeing more and more bait caster reels in combos.
My last experience with them was many, many years ago.....end result is there is one somewhere on the bottom of the Plenty River Bangg birds nest and tangles all it seemed to be good for.
However I guess technology has progressed and maybe they are better now than they were back then.

So for the average fisherperson, mainly bait fishing landbased, and casting the occasional lure - which is better - a baitcaster reel or the good old egg beater reel?
Without doubt the spin outfit is a lot easier for the more 'challenged' among us && farr morre versatile as well.

Return to “Fishing Rods & Reels”