Retooling the fishing gear

Wolly Bugger
Has liked: 13 times

Retooling the fishing gear

Post by Wolly Bugger » Tue May 05, 2015 7:39 pm

Before I moved down here, the vast majority of my fishing was trout fishing with the maximum strength of line at 12 lb. Small hooks and small sinkers.

Reels that lasted years in fresh water fishing, found the salt water environment tough going. Now I am using 20-30lb braid and up to 200 gram sinkers. 5/0 hooks that make the trout hooks look like minnows.

12 foot rods and 6000 reels.

Next month a group is heading to the tambo, after bream, now I am buying smaller reels and lighter line, plus some bream specific lures, one advantage this will be used for whiting as well.

seephil
Has liked: 37 times

Re: Retooling the fishing gear

Post by seephil » Wed May 06, 2015 1:29 am

Wolly Bugger wrote:Before I moved down here, the vast majority of my fishing was trout fishing with the maximum strength of line at 12 lb. Small hooks and small sinkers.

Reels that lasted years in fresh water fishing, found the salt water environment tough going. Now I am using 20-30lb braid and up to 200 gram sinkers. 5/0 hooks that make the trout hooks look like minnows.

12 foot rods and 6000 reels.

Next month a group is heading to the tambo, after bream, now I am buying smaller reels and lighter line, plus some bream specific lures, one advantage this will be used for whiting as well.
It'll be nice going back to lighter combo Wolly. Your tackle should suit the species and environment you are fishing in. No point for fishing bream in VIC with a surf rod. :doh1: Not to say you won't catch any....but it severely reduces your chances.
Think about this way, having bought a new combo for bream and whiting, now you can travel to MORE locations because you are better equipped. :victory:

sasquatch972
Has liked: 21 times

Post by sasquatch972 » Wed May 06, 2015 2:34 am

i seem to horde all my fishing gear...and well lots of everything that i buy anyway lol... got a rod or 2 or 3 for most land based occasions and a few boat suited rods that i bought 10+ years ago by impulse
i seem to do better with the trout lure fishing/bream fishing gear as thats where i spent a larger amount of $$$ for better quality stuff... i can cast my 7ft light rods with a small metal slug further than i can cast a 12ft surf rod at the moment lol.. just so out of practice with the larger rods.

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Wed May 06, 2015 9:11 am

When I started fishing here frequently back in 2005 or so. I was the opposite. Bought all the heavier surf rods, 12 footer, 10footer . Heavy mono . Who knows what else.
Nowdays all I use is a bream rod and reel for most of my fishing.
Sold all my other gear dirt cheap. Now just use some higher end gear and only have a few outfits.
Still doesnt stop me from wanting to buy more

barra mick
Has liked: 26 times

Post by barra mick » Wed May 06, 2015 9:34 am

You can never have to many rods
you gotta hav a crack even if yr just pissin in the wind

poodoo
Has liked: 2 times

Post by poodoo » Wed May 06, 2015 10:14 am

Should be able to use your trout gear for the bream depending on what you have.

Return to “Fishing Rods & Reels”