Daiwa Exist OR Shimano Stella ??

Fish-Hunter

Re: Daiwa Exist OR Shimano Stella ??

Post by Fish-Hunter » Sat Aug 22, 2015 10:49 pm

In my humble opinion both the Stella & Exist are excellent reels, you guy's are lucky to own such fine top end reels. At that level of quality i doubt one is really better than the other, just be glad you got such a fine reel to use ;-)

zha0014

Post by zha0014 » Sat Aug 22, 2015 11:16 pm

I personally have a stella sw 30000 but the anti reverse broke on me the first time i went fishing.
But shimano kindly replaced me a new one.
The stella feels a bit smoother then the exist but is can brake under allot of drag pressure, im not sure if its just my stella but yeah mine broke.
I'v only been fishing twice so it could be an faulty reel.

randyman

Post by randyman » Fri May 10, 2019 2:59 am

I have the Exist 2508, 2506, and 2505. I have several Stella 2500s. The Stella's are a more solid reel and heavier. Both are smooth. The Diawa 2506 is my favorite. The Diawa Exist is lighter and the drag is smoother. You will notice the weight after many hours of fishing. If long life is your ticket, its the Stella.

GusG
Has liked: 41 times

Post by GusG » Fri May 10, 2019 8:05 am

DougieK wrote:
Sun Jul 19, 2015 11:09 am
I get the need for 1000+ dollar reels if your'e popping GT or jigging deep reefs but I never really understood it in the lower sizes.
Exactly what I was thinking as I read this. In the 10k-20k range where you can use it for everything from popping for tuna, GT, even live baiting marlin I can see the use of these monster reels, but to chase trout in a stream or a few reds in the bay, I personally don't see the point. I can see why others do but I wouldn't do it.

Windknot
Has liked: 2 times

Post by Windknot » Sat May 11, 2019 7:27 pm

randyman wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 2:59 am
I have the Exist 2508, 2506, and 2505. I have several Stella 2500s. The Stella's are a more solid reel and heavier. Both are smooth. The Diawa 2506 is my favorite. The Diawa Exist is lighter and the drag is smoother. You will notice the weight after many hours of fishing. If long life is your ticket, its the Stella.

^ Spot on! I have also owned both reels and these are my feelings as well.

Why do people own these expensive reels? For me it's a smoothness thing. Once you've used top shelf reels, it's hard to go back to cheaper ones, because they actually feel rough in comparison. Exist reels start off feeling smoother when they're new, but Stella reels feel good and tight for much longer in my experience.

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Post by rb85 » Sat May 11, 2019 8:40 pm

If someone could give me one for free ill give it a go otherwise ill have to use my stradics and cheapies. Does a Stella or Exist help you catch fish?

RedRob

Post by RedRob » Fri Jun 07, 2019 5:32 pm

rb85 wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 8:40 pm
If someone could give me one for free ill give it a go otherwise ill have to use my stradics and cheapies. Does a Stella or Exist help you catch fish?
In the right hands. Along with good rod and line. Yes. A buddy always gave me a hard time about how much my rod and reel cost and even how much I spent on my line. He always uses Walmart special combo reels. I usually put 5-7 fish to his 1 in the boat. He had a mishap one day and was trying to fix it. I offered him my backup. A St.Croix Avid X with a Ci4+. He started catching more just cause he could feel even the subtlest bites. I like the Ci4+ but I like the Daiwa ballistic slightly and very slight more. But now I have the Stella FJ. Can't say I catch more fish at that price difference but after reeling the FJ for a bit then grab the Ci4+ or Ballistic and even as smooth as they are they feel rough around the edges. I do like the weight of the Ballistic over the others but the FJ stays in my hands till maybe one day I get the exist. So again a high quality rod, reel, and line. The Ci4+ on the advid x is an awesome setup. I have the FJ on a St. Croix legend extreme. Also excellent setup. For a price point the Ci4+ if I haven't used the FJ that day is a clear winner. If I've already been fishing with the FJ and then pick up the Ci4+ I have a hard time reeling thru the weeds and distinguishing bumps on rocks and weeds from bites. The FJ retrieval is just that much smoother.

Bugatti

Post by Bugatti » Fri Jun 07, 2019 6:08 pm

RedRob wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 5:32 pm
rb85 wrote:
In the right hands. Along with good rod and line. Yes. A buddy always gave me a hard time about how much my rod and reel cost and even how much I spent on my line. He always uses Walmart special combo reels. I usually put 5-7 fish to his 1 in the boat. He had a mishap one day and was trying to fix it. I offered him my backup. A St.Croix Avid X with a Ci4+. He started catching more just cause he could feel even the subtlest bites. I like the Ci4+ but I like the Daiwa ballistic slightly and very slight more. But now I have the Stella FJ. Can't say I catch more fish at that price difference but after reeling the FJ for a bit then grab the Ci4+ or Ballistic and even as smooth as they are they feel rough around the edges. I do like the weight of the Ballistic over the others but the FJ stays in my hands till maybe one day I get the exist. So again a high quality rod, reel, and line. The Ci4+ on the advid x is an awesome setup. I have the FJ on a St. Croix legend extreme. Also excellent setup. For a price point the Ci4+ if I haven't used the FJ that day is a clear winner. If I've already been fishing with the FJ and then pick up the Ci4+ I have a hard time reeling thru the weeds and distinguishing bumps on rocks and weeds from bites. The FJ retrieval is just that much smoother.

Definitely that saying always rings true , , , , "you get what you paid for".

AND

:welcome2:

Welcome RedRob, a great first post too

Cheers, Bugatti (Sssh ;-) , I'm not really a talking Car)

Boonanza
Has liked: 270 times

Post by Boonanza » Fri Jun 07, 2019 6:15 pm

RedRob wrote:
rb85 wrote:
So if your mate could feel the bites that has nothing to do with the reel. The rod and line yes.
A smart person knows what to say. A wise person knows whether to say it.

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Post by rb85 » Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:04 pm

Boonanza wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 6:15 pm
RedRob wrote:
rb85 wrote:
So if your mate could feel the bites that has nothing to do with the reel. The rod and line yes.
Spot on

Return to “Fishing Rods & Reels”