Daiwa Exist OR Shimano Stella ??

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Re: Daiwa Exist OR Shimano Stella ??

Post by purple5ive » Sun Jul 19, 2015 6:41 pm

BIG GAV wrote:
DougieK wrote:I get the need for 1000+ dollar reels if your'e popping GT or jigging deep reefs but I never really understood it in the lower sizes.

Having read Alan Hawkes review of the 2013 stella (albiet a big one) I would never buy one.
since your fishing for bigger fish most of the time it might seem like the smaller expensive reels are a waste,
when you use them on bream and other smaller species, it does make a lot of difference when using very fine line class.
its not all about the toughness so to speak, the expensive reels are a lot, lot more refined to use.
then again you can still catch them using a jarwis walker reel so personal preference really.

X2why I may have not handled a Stella before I have read what Alan has said about them! Wouldn't spend that kinda money on something just because the company has spent a lot of money marketing it!

My exceller is a damn fine reel and only cost a fraction of the price
I think you will change your mind about the exceller being a damn fine reel when you use an exist, or a stella. :rofl:
Hell, ill raise you my luvias and then see which one you will want after that...

I was the same about expensive rods and reels when I started fishing, all that changed once I got into it more seriously.

edit - don't get me wrong though, even I have my limits.. I don't think theres much difference once you go past a certain model, price range etc. hence why I have stuck with the luvias and not gone any more higher spec..
Last edited by purple5ive on Sun Jul 19, 2015 7:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ducky
Has liked: 22 times

Post by ducky » Sun Jul 19, 2015 6:45 pm

Yeah. It's definitely an upwards spiral haha.

Rod Bender

Post by Rod Bender » Sun Jul 19, 2015 6:48 pm

Jason.Tanti wrote:Myself and my mate met up for a fish yesterday and you could probably imagine there was a bit of conflict about which Reel comes on top and is the overall better reel

Whats your Opinion? which reel do you prefer?

They are Both a size 2500
Guessing you may be in a better position Jason than most of us to answer that question! :) Which one do you think comes out on top?
cheers
Jim
Proudly sponsoring Trelly's Tackleworld and Boats & More!

BIG GAV
Has liked: 2 times

Post by BIG GAV » Sun Jul 19, 2015 7:12 pm

I know it won't be as good.. n it wouldn't hold a candle even to a luvias but it is a good quality reel and hasn't let me down, mag seal would be nice 7kg drag is a little unnecessary for a 2500 imo but that's just me, maybe one day I might change and start buying reels of the opposite end of the price range but I guess for now I'll have to stick with what my budget allows but I've always believed things are better cause they are more expensive! Yes u spend **** u get **** but u don't need break the bank to get a quality piece these days.. As said all my opinion
If I'm not fishing, I'd rather be fishing!

purple5ive

Post by purple5ive » Sun Jul 19, 2015 7:31 pm

7kg is overkill for any reel unless your targeting sharks and the likes of bigger fish.
my luvias only has 2kg on the 2004 and 3 kg on the 2506 and ive never come close to locking the drag on any fish yet. and I have landed some decent fish on all of them.
as I said before I changed later on when I became serious, im sure many others have done the same and no doubt you will too.
just depends on what you can afford at the time.
all my expensive purchases have been second hand (almost new condition though) just so that I can afford them, its not like I have a money tree in my backyard.
Personally id never ever buy a reel for 1k nfw....
cheers

Broomstick

Post by Broomstick » Sun Jul 19, 2015 7:32 pm

BIG GAV wrote:I know it won't be as good.. n it wouldn't hold a candle even to a luvias but it is a good quality reel and hasn't let me down, mag seal would be nice 7kg drag is a little unnecessary for a 2500 imo but that's just me, maybe one day I might change and start buying reels of the opposite end of the price range but I guess for now I'll have to stick with what my budget allows but I've always believed things are better cause they are more expensive! Yes u spend sh*t u get sh*t but u don't need break the bank to get a quality piece these days.. As said all my opinion
A 2500 stradic fj has 8kg of drag

JoshW

Post by JoshW » Sun Jul 19, 2015 7:34 pm

For $100 the exceller ***** on anything around that price.

Just buy what you can afford and enjoy using. You don't think about what reel you're using when bringing in a big farken fish haha.

BIG GAV

Post by BIG GAV » Sun Jul 19, 2015 7:37 pm

I got the exceller at 140 from memory but yeah man it's such a good reel!

Stradic has 8kg drag?? Wow now I'm not as surprised that a guy we went to Eden with pulled up a king on one!
If I'm not fishing, I'd rather be fishing!

purple5ive

Post by purple5ive » Sun Jul 19, 2015 7:53 pm

yeah 7-8kg is normal in the 2500 sized reels

anway to answer the OPs question. they are both good reels . id be happy with either, but if I had to choose id go the exist though,

but why put a 1k reel on a sub $100 rod though??? its like putting 5k worth of magwheels on a hyudai excel..
if I had such an expensive reel id be putting it on a much more expensive rod to take advantage of what the reel has to offer,
plus a 2004 would have suited that rod better imo.

sloth
Has liked: 6 times

Post by sloth » Sun Jul 19, 2015 8:18 pm

I'd go the Stella. The exists handle is on the wrong side

Return to “Fishing Rods & Reels”