Re: Daiwa Exist OR Shimano Stella ??

Post by RedRob » Mon Jun 10, 2019 3:44 am

Boonanza wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 6:15 pm
RedRob wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 5:32 pm
rb85 wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 8:40 pm
If someone could give me one for free ill give it a go otherwise ill have to use my stradics and cheapies. Does a Stella or Exist help you catch fish?
In the right hands. Along with good rod and line. Yes. A buddy always gave me a hard time about how much my rod and reel cost and even how much I spent on my line. He always uses Walmart special combo reels. I usually put 5-7 fish to his 1 in the boat. He had a mishap one day and was trying to fix it. I offered him my backup. A St.Croix Avid X with a Ci4+. He started catching more just cause he could feel even the subtlest bites. I like the Ci4+ but I like the Daiwa ballistic slightly and very slight more. But now I have the Stella FJ. Can't say I catch more fish at that price difference but after reeling the FJ for a bit then grab the Ci4+ or Ballistic and even as smooth as they are they feel rough around the edges. I do like the weight of the Ballistic over the others but the FJ stays in my hands till maybe one day I get the exist. So again a high quality rod, reel, and line. The Ci4+ on the advid x is an awesome setup. I have the FJ on a St. Croix legend extreme. Also excellent setup. For a price point the Ci4+ if I haven't used the FJ that day is a clear winner. If I've already been fishing with the FJ and then pick up the Ci4+ I have a hard time reeling thru the weeds and distinguishing bumps on rocks and weeds from bites. The FJ retrieval is just that much smoother.
So if your mate could feel the bites that has nothing to do with the reel. The rod and line yes.
But it does. Exaggerated take a 10lb weight tap it with a 1oz weight. Now take a 1lb weight and tap it with the same 1oz weight. Not only the weight of the reel, but how smooth it is being able to feel subtle bites when reeling. Every piece is an extension of yourself. The lighter, smoother, more rigid, all make a little difference. Don't put street tires or regular gasoline in or on a formula one car. You can and it will still beat the best street car but won't win the race. But just cause somebody is fishing with a $1000 setup doesn't mean he knows what he is doing and can still be out fished by a seasoned fisherman with a $50 setup.

Return to “Fishing Rods & Reels”