Rod/Reel setup for game fishing

Davidsch1

Re: Rod/Reel setup for game fishing

Post by Davidsch1 » Sat May 20, 2017 11:00 pm

frozenpod wrote:JB hollow I looked it up online December last year I cant remember where.

Tasline is what most of my reels are currently spooled with. I purchased from Paulus. It was much cheaper than Frank not just hollow but solid braid as well. I am not sure if Paulus is still selling Tasline.

Roughly $200 per reel for braid and mono top shot ready to spool. Solid braid with Paulus pull on system. I went that way as hollow braid was more expensive. The down side is there is an additional connection.

I respooled one reel with hollow braid and it works great very neat and sections can be replaced with splicjng ect. Apart from the extra cost.

Tasline is the best braid I have used. But some people have had issues with the light taslines. I don't know is there is any issues with the heavier lines but I suggested JB hollow as this is what I went with. With potentially the fish of a life time on the line I wasn't prepared to risk it.
Does Paulus have an online store? I can only find his blog site, with all the various brands of lines reviewed. Or did you buy privately?

http://www.paulusjustfishing.com/

frozenpod
Has liked: 81 times

Post by frozenpod » Sat May 20, 2017 11:17 pm

Paulus used to sell braid. But from what I saw he passed the sales onto someone else.

Certainly worth contacting him via his site.

Davidsch1

Post by Davidsch1 » Sat May 20, 2017 11:21 pm

frozenpod wrote:Paulus used to sell braid. But from what I saw he passed the sales onto someone else.

Thanks!

Brett
Has liked: 138 times

Post by Brett » Sun May 21, 2017 10:48 am

frozenpod wrote:Paulus used to sell braid. But from what I saw he passed the sales onto someone else.

Paulus no longer sells tasline.

shazdoggg

Post by shazdoggg » Sat Mar 16, 2019 3:57 pm

Hey guys, want some opinions on different fishing lines for light game fishing(tuna/kingies). Have purchased a pair of Fin Nor lt100(spin reel) and Terez 100lb rods to match. Have only used mono and regular braid(fused and weaved) when fishing and now been recommended hollow core braid to spool the Lt100's. At this stage, tossing up between 50/60/65lb braid.

From what I've gathered so far, hollow is considerably stronger(splicing rather than tying) than regular braid but is slightly thicker and more expensive. Have read on a tuna forum that hollow core braid is prone to bad twisting when used on a spin reel as opposed to an overhead?? Also read that the hollow core becomes harder to splice once the line is worn in??

What I would like to know is...does anybody run hollow core on their threadline reels?

Not to fussed abut paying for quality if there's plenty of upside! Don't want to spend few hundy on line, to find out its junk because of line twist. TIA

Wolly Bugger
Has liked: 13 times

Post by Wolly Bugger » Sat Mar 16, 2019 5:32 pm

shazdoggg wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 3:57 pm
Hey guys, want some opinions on different fishing lines for light game fishing(tuna/kingies). Have purchased a pair of Fin Nor lt100(spin reel) and Terez 100lb rods to match. Have only used mono and regular braid(fused and weaved) when fishing and now been recommended hollow core braid to spool the Lt100's. At this stage, tossing up between 50/60/65lb braid.

From what I've gathered so far, hollow is considerably stronger(splicing rather than tying) than regular braid but is slightly thicker and more expensive. Have read on a tuna forum that hollow core braid is prone to bad twisting when used on a spin reel as opposed to an overhead?? Also read that the hollow core becomes harder to splice once the line is worn in??

What I would like to know is...does anybody run hollow core on their threadline reels?

Not to fussed abut paying for quality if there's plenty of upside! Don't want to spend few hundy on line, to find out its junk because of line twist. TIA

When using the spinning reel, or threadline any line will twist Mono, braid it does not matter. Some mono will develop a memory.

the major cause of line twist is firstly when putting the line onto the spool

The second is trying to wind on line with insufficient drag pressure and the spool spins or winding against a fish that is taking line off the spool.

Another is the lure for example the old aeroplane spinners were the worst offenders, followed by celtas etc, or a lure that is foul hooked on the line causing it to spin and whilst it is spinning it is adding twist into the line.

cowbells and ford fenders also twisted line hence that they had a keel to try to prevent this from happening.

As to you other concerns I do not know.

shazdoggg

Post by shazdoggg » Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:34 pm

Wolly Bugger wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 5:32 pm
shazdoggg wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 3:57 pm

When using the spinning reel, or threadline any line will twist Mono, braid it does not matter. Some mono will develop a memory.

the major cause of line twist is firstly when putting the line onto the spool

The second is trying to wind on line with insufficient drag pressure and the spool spins or winding against a fish that is taking line off the spool.

Another is the lure for example the old aeroplane spinners were the worst offenders, followed by celtas etc, or a lure that is foul hooked on the line causing it to spin and whilst it is spinning it is adding twist into the line.

cowbells and ford fenders also twisted line hence that they had a keel to try to prevent this from happening.

As to you other concerns I do not know.
Thanks for the reply Mr Bugger! Am fairly confident with my line management skills with spin. Does anybody use hollowcore braid? At this stage it looks like I'l be running regular 50lb braid and to fg knot with 60-100lb mono

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Post by Nude up » Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:24 pm

I run 5 tiagra 50 wlrsa with 24kg mono 3 t-curve rollered 24 kg straight butts 2 t-curve 24 kg bent butts. I have caught marlin blue,black and striped on them and with out doubt it is an easier fight with a bent butt especially with a black who rarely jump just go deep.
We use 300lb wind ons then vary the leader from 150 lb to 300 lb. 50w work for us reliable we rarely go over strike drag 8 kg using the boat to chase the fish. My mate has a pair of PENN 50 I find them not as good as the tiagra,s when skip baiting not fine enough on the drag setting to stop over runs.

My mate has an 80 which he is going to spool with braid only to have a crack at swords deep dropping for them off lakes.
We find no need to use braid in normal game fishing for length we have never been spooled by a Marlin our best 215 kg on 24 kg mono.

shazdoggg

Post by shazdoggg » Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:47 pm

Cheers for the replies Wooly and nudeup! Went with one of each so I can form my own opinion of the differences and pro's and con's of each. 370m of 60lb coloured J braid and 350m of 60lb hollowcore j braid on the other.

Return to “Fishing Rods & Reels”