Rod/Reel setup for game fishing

ncr1

Re: Rod/Reel setup for game fishing

Post by ncr1 » Sun May 14, 2017 8:59 pm

frozenpod wrote:NCR has covered the issues with rods better than I ever could.

Rods are a real issue and you will likely end up getting that don't suit all applications and buying more.
Rods are also very much personal preference.

Just my opinion but the marlin rods with extra faster taper that only flex in the top 1/3 I am not fond of.

They pull lures just fine but don't feel right on a fish.

(They feel similar to the rods optimised for SP)

I found rods that had a bit more give in the mid section ie a slower taper to be better when onto a fish.

They faster/med-fast action rods are certainly are more of an all rounder compared to extra fast and I would suggest they could be a better starting point.
Hey Fpod,

I agree that rods with a softer action are much nicer to use. But do you know if there is much on the higher end of the market that suits that criteria, apart from sabres/calstars? I build my own rods and so I don't do a lot of tackle shop browsing, but get the feeling that much of the 'premium' gear tend to have a similar stiff t-curve action. Do you get that sense?

frozenpod
Has liked: 81 times

Post by frozenpod » Mon May 15, 2017 12:28 am

ncr1 wrote: Hey Fpod,

I agree that rods with a softer action are much nicer to use. But do you know if there is much on the higher end of the market that suits that criteria, apart from sabres/calstars? I build my own rods and so I don't do a lot of tackle shop browsing, but get the feeling that much of the 'premium' gear tend to have a similar stiff t-curve action. Do you get that sense?
Most of our Rods are custom even our mid sized gear so I don't pay a lot of attention to what is for sale in tackle shops either.

We do have a few listed below.

Shimano Tiagra 37kg bent butt rod I don't recall the exact model it is one of Ian Millers rods fully rollered and it is pretty good (apart from being a bit too stiff).

WIlson Live Fiber was the worst game fishing rod we purchased and it wasn't cheap.

15kg penn (powerstick I think it is called) whilst very cheap it is an excellent rod.

Building a good rod is not as easy as it sounds and some of our customs were not right and we ended up having more built that were slightly different.

From what I have seen of off the shelf rods.

The butt, most butts are too short. (Probably designed to work with a gimble that sits on your waste and not between your thighs)

Reel seats were all fine.

Rod length, most were slightly too long when combined with the short butts make it much harder than it needed to be.

Action
Marlin Rods extra fast very stiff with a flexi tip, pull lures ok but do not feel right on a fish to me.
Tuna Rods, very slow entire rod bends right down to the reel seat (like an old school black queen). They don't pull lures well and feels like you are putting all your effort into bending the rod and not lifting the fish.

ncr1

Post by ncr1 » Mon May 15, 2017 4:45 pm

Thanks for that frozen.

What were the concerns you had with the 'not right' customs? Was it a design issue, or something more technical?

blacklab99
Has liked: 14 times

Post by blacklab99 » Mon May 15, 2017 5:26 pm

Only had a few fishes with my Wilson live fibre, didn't land anything significant, but I recon I'd have been better
off with a broom stick ! It will only be a spare now...... thought it was only me, but interesting you said that frozen....

frozenpod

Post by frozenpod » Mon May 15, 2017 6:42 pm

ncr1 wrote:Thanks for that frozen.

What were the concerns you had with the 'not right' customs? Was it a design issue, or something more technical?
Blank action was perfect. All hardware was top notch and they looked nothing short of mint.

But butts too short and rods too long.

Davidsch1

Post by Davidsch1 » Thu May 18, 2017 8:22 am

frozenpod wrote:From memory JB hollow is around $300 for a large spool.

I personally have used Tasline was brilliant cant comment on the current quality but there have been quite a few reports of issues with the light line ie 2-10lb sizes.
I've been trying to look everywhere in Australia for 130lb Jerry Brown Hollow core braid. Most places don't seem to keep it, or they only stock the smaller rolls. The cheapest I have been quoted for a 1200yd roll is $549 !!

Can you tell me where you got your $300 spool from?

Cheers,
David

Brett
Has liked: 138 times

Post by Brett » Thu May 18, 2017 9:09 am

Davidsch1 wrote:

I personally have used Tasline was brilliant cant comment on the current quality but there have been quite a few reports of issues with the light line ie 2-10lb sizes.
I've been trying to look everywhere in Australia for 130lb Jerry Brown Hollow core braid. Most places don't seem to keep it, or they only stock the smaller rolls. The cheapest I have been quoted for a 1200yd roll is $549 !!

Cheers,
David
Have you asked Frank, he does custom length spools, so should be able to sort something out.
I just looked at 1100m and its $435.60 when I add it to the shopping cart, so $100 cheaper than your cheapest.

http://www.bustedfishing.com/#!/Jerry-B ... y=22725311

Davidsch1

Post by Davidsch1 » Thu May 18, 2017 9:24 am

Brett wrote:
Davidsch1 wrote:

Cheers,
David
Have you asked Frank, he does custom length spools, so should be able to sort something out.
I just looked at 1100m and its $435.60 when I add it to the shopping cart, so $100 cheaper than your cheapest.

http://www.bustedfishing.com/#!/Jerry-B ... y=22725311
Thanks Brett!!

I've looked on heaps of online stores in Australia, and they either say they can't get it in, or the price is ridiculously high. I hadn't come across this website though, and definitely cheaper. My last resort was to otherwise buy from USA for $370 AUD (including shipping):
http://www.tackledirect.com/jerry-brown ... 00yds.html

Looking at Bustedfishing website, they also do the Tasline Elite Hollow core braid 130lb (1093yd) spools. I see it's cheaper than Jerry Brown, but is it a case of "you get what you pay for"? Or does Tasline make a good quality hollow braid too?

Sinsemilla

Post by Sinsemilla » Thu May 18, 2017 1:17 pm

Hey mate just thought i'd add a bit to all this great info.

I have an old Penn 50 and a newish Penn 30w, and a brand new Avet 50w and 30w. The Penn reels are great, I've also used tiagras and they are nice but nothing compared to the Avets.
I got the Avets from Frank at Busted fishing. The Avets are spooled with Jerry brown that i got from Ray and Anne's Tackle.
I've been on a big tuna for 4.5hours with the old Penn 50 and it handled it no problems and thats the oldest reel of the bunch.

I also have a Tiagra 80 on a bent but rod.. it is a very heavy outfit.

Cheers, Anth

frozenpod

Post by frozenpod » Fri May 19, 2017 3:14 pm

JB hollow I looked it up online December last year I cant remember where.

Tasline is what most of my reels are currently spooled with. I purchased from Paulus. It was much cheaper than Frank not just hollow but solid braid as well. I am not sure if Paulus is still selling Tasline.

Roughly $200 per reel for braid and mono top shot ready to spool. Solid braid with Paulus pull on system. I went that way as hollow braid was more expensive. The down side is there is an additional connection.

I respooled one reel with hollow braid and it works great very neat and sections can be replaced with splicjng ect. Apart from the extra cost.

Tasline is the best braid I have used. But some people have had issues with the light taslines. I don't know is there is any issues with the heavier lines but I suggested JB hollow as this is what I went with. With potentially the fish of a life time on the line I wasn't prepared to risk it.

Return to “Fishing Rods & Reels”