Alvey Reels Australia Closing Down

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Re: Alvey Reels Australia Closing Down

Post by rb85 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:58 pm

Texas wrote:We can't compete with third world countries
I could get "alvey" reels made overseas, pay the workers double the standard and still sell them in Australia for 1/10 of alveys price. Keeping the quality the same.

Just saying
Gra
You are right in that respect so whats the answer shouldn't the Government and Preceding Governments be protecting Australian manufacturers from overseas competitors?

In the case of fishing Reels it's probably not as critical as steel industries or the auto industry. Cannot think of any other Australian reel manufacturer either.

mingle
Has liked: 1 time

Post by mingle » Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:17 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TimUZZidIYk :-)

Had a muck around with one of these the other day. Didn't do this to it, but they're a rock-solid investment...

Paul Foot

Post by Paul Foot » Sat Aug 05, 2017 6:39 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AhhtF4mV9XE&list=PLUdGDRLpSjsmxbEMsKMaGOtNPbbQr2Wrv&index=1

The Alvey fishing videos are very informative and this guy still makes me laugh.

Paul Foot

Post by Paul Foot » Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:26 am

Just watched the new ep of "Talking Fishing". not one mention of Alvey closing but spent 15 minutes talking about an identical Canadian company called Petez.

rb85

Post by rb85 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:41 am

Paul Foot wrote:Just watched the new ep of "Talking Fishing". not one mention of Alvey closing but spent 15 minutes talking about an identical Canadian company called Petez.
Got to remember the motivation of a program like this.

All 3 hosts work at Tackleworlds.

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:58 am

To be fair those are some pretty boss looking reels.

Maybe Alvey should give in, start playing the game and send the hosts of the big fishing shows shitloads of hookers and coke like I assume the other big brands do
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

rb85

Post by rb85 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:17 am

4liters wrote:To be fair those are some pretty boss looking reels.

Maybe Alvey should give in, start playing the game and send the hosts of the big fishing shows shitloads of hookers and coke like I assume the other big brands do
Ha ha classic every man has their price for some it's cheaper than others I suppose.

Kimtown
Has liked: 303 times

Post by Kimtown » Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:42 pm

So I'm working away in Sale near the 90 mile beach and with the weather being the way it is I thought it would be rude not to go fishing. Only problem is I left all my gear at home so thought I'd just go to the local tackleworld here and get a cheap surf combo.

$400 later I walk out with a yellow alvey surf reel and a 12" daiwa rod plus some tackle.

I'm sad about splurging $400 like that, but at the same time I have my first alvey reel and get to see what the fuss is about. A few kind comments to make feel better about splashing so much cash would be nice lol

ratbag

Post by ratbag » Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:06 pm

Kimtown wrote:So I'm working away in Sale near the 90 mile beach and with the weather being the way it is I thought it would be rude not to go fishing. Only problem is I left all my gear at home so thought I'd just go to the local tackleworld here and get a cheap surf combo.

$400 later I walk out with a yellow alvey surf reel and a 12" daiwa rod plus some tackle.

I'm sad about splurging $400 like that, but at the same time I have my first alvey reel and get to see what the fuss is about. A few kind comments to make feel better about splashing so much cash would be nice lol
Great investment! Did they have much Alvey stock?
quid est quod eum

Kimtown
Has liked: 303 times

Post by Kimtown » Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:43 pm

ratbag wrote:
Kimtown wrote:So I'm working away in Sale near the 90 mile beach and with the weather being the way it is I thought it would be rude not to go fishing. Only problem is I left all my gear at home so thought I'd just go to the local tackleworld here and get a cheap surf combo.

Great investment! Did they have much Alvey stock?
The very last alvey reel they will ever have in that store apparently.

Return to “Fishing Rods & Reels”