Alvey Reels Australia Closing Down

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Re: Alvey Reels Australia Closing Down

Post by purple5ive » Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:28 am

4liters wrote:
Fish-Hunter wrote:
4liters wrote: tbh if the company has the same attitude as this it was inevitable that they'd go out of business. You've got to look to improve constantly, if not the products themselves then the manufacturing and administration side of things to get the costs down. Clearly they haven't and the only real advantages they offer is their reliability and ruggedness.
Well, there's plenty Alvey haters here am sure, just waiting for the chance to open up here so they can trash the Alvey name, others here genuinely care for Alvey & that they are closing down 'like myself'.

Either you Like Alvey reels or Not. :cheers:
It's not about being an 'alvey hater' or anything like that, it's about the company's unwillingness or inability to adapt to new developments. If their product development people have simply sat around a table looking at a high end spinning reel saying it's a piece of junk because you can't kick it around in the sand, rather than looking at features like compact size, high drag rating, ability to use braid, line retrieval rate and so on, and looking at ways to introduce those features into an Alvey then this was only ever going to end one way.

So they're great for surf and rock fishing if you are happy to use mono, don't mind a slowish line retrieval and like washing your reels on salt water. But how many people does this actually apply to though?

It's got nothing to do with hating a product and everything to do with people choosing products based on features they feel are important.
Amen to that brotha...
Nobody Here wants to see an Australian company close down. But the sad fact is Alvey just never concentrated on keeping up with the market, its as simple as that.

Do alvey make a Reel capable of being used to cast a 5gm Lure?????
Do Alvey make a Reel that can readily accept 6lb Braid??
Do Alvey make a reel that can run 4lb mono??
Do Alvey make a reel that weighs 200-350gms??
Do alvey make a reel small enough to fit many of the lightweight graphite rods that are Currently sold in any fishing Tackle stores???
These are the Features of most common reels Being sold these days..

Well Let me Go ahead and answer it for you anyway - NO!!!!!!!

And about the Government not doing anything to support a Fishing company... let me make it a bit more simple so everyone can understand
Let the Government fix The economy, Medicare, The Illegal Immigrants, and all the Other fuckups they have done, then worry about a fishing company....

And for the info , ive never used an Alvey, and Never will because my fishing never requires such a reel.
I learnt to fish using Bamboo poles, Mono Line, and small Pebbles for a sinker, an Alvey was a Luxury Those days...

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Post by rb85 » Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:43 am

purple5ive wrote:
rb85 wrote:The other issue is anglers prostituting themselves to foreign manufacturers..
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Nearly fell off my chair just then
Fish-Hunter wrote:
rb85 wrote:The other issue is anglers prostituting themselves to foreign manufacturers. Why would an impressionable child want to purchase an Alvey when known media personalities are endorsing the big names. These very same industry whores then post their sadness on social media about an iconic Aussie brand going bust. Go figure.
Exactly they make you Sick

There were several so called wannabe celebrity anglers who used to use & endorse Alvey etc, but as soon as the Big name imported fishing reel companies come knocking & offering sponsorship & $$, these fishing wannabe celebrity whores prostituted themselves instantly & started proclaiming their new sponsors, all for the $$ & free fishing gear + their so called 5 minutes of fishing celebrity TV air time fame etc
WELCOME TO THE REAL WORLD GUYS (Aka Modern day fishing)
It's definitely the real world new age fisherfolk who essentially are human winches prostituting themselves as sponsored anglers. Diversity is gone, individualism no more.

purple5ive

Post by purple5ive » Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:56 am

rb85 wrote:
purple5ive wrote:
rb85 wrote:The other issue is anglers prostituting themselves to foreign manufacturers..
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Nearly fell off my chair just then
Fish-Hunter wrote:
rb85 wrote:The other issue is anglers prostituting themselves to foreign manufacturers. Why would an impressionable child want to purchase an Alvey when known media personalities are endorsing the big names. These very same industry whores then post their sadness on social media about an iconic Aussie brand going bust. Go figure.
Exactly they make you Sick

There were several so called wannabe celebrity anglers who used to use & endorse Alvey etc, but as soon as the Big name imported fishing reel companies come knocking & offering sponsorship & $$, these fishing wannabe celebrity whores prostituted themselves instantly & started proclaiming their new sponsors, all for the $$ & free fishing gear + their so called 5 minutes of fishing celebrity TV air time fame etc
WELCOME TO THE REAL WORLD GUYS (Aka Modern day fishing)
It's definitely the real world new age fisherfolk who essentially are human winches prostituting themselves as sponsored anglers. Diversity is gone, individualism no more.
Not everyone are Lucky enough to be a sponsored angler mate.
what would you know about being a sponsored angler for you to talk/hate about it so much???
Diversity and Individualism still exist, but your mind is still stuck with poacher Paul and no early fish Kramer, or walking and talking Billboard fisherman that you fail to see anything else but that.

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Post by rb85 » Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:12 am

Im not talking about those two purple specifically or billboard anglers Purple theres a lot of sponsored anglers who I respect its a broader issue than that.
I know enough about the industry to see how it works and no I don't hate anglers being sponsored but I hate the B/S behind it all. The social media sponsored angler is all about photo opportunities and hash tags whether they have done the hard yards to catch the fish or not it's all show no substance.

Theres some great fishing publications where the sponsored anglers provide a great insight into what they are doing to catch fish. Then theres other sponsored anglers who promote items that aren't serve no purpose to catching fish and are purely designed to catch anglers money or those who are deliberately deceptive towards those who follow/support them.

It's just laughable that a few are sad to see this brand go without doing anything with their profiles to support it if anything being a detriment towards the product.

purple5ive

Post by purple5ive » Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:30 am

rb85 wrote:Im not talking about those two purple specifically or billboard anglers Purple its a broader issue than that.
I know enough about the industry to see how it works and no I don't hate anglers being sponsored but I hate the B/S behind it all. The social media sponsored angler is all about photo opportunities and hash tags whether they have done the hard yards to catch the fish or not it's all show no substance.

Not all sponsored anglers are like that theres some great fishing publications where the sponsored anglers provide a great insight into what they are doing to catch fish. Then theres other sponsored anglers who promote items that aren't serve no purpose to catching fish and are purely designed to catch anglers money or those who are deliberately deceptive towards those who follow/support them.
Look i agree to a certain extent to what your saying, as mentioned earlier half the time the fish isnt even theirs.
Part of being a sponsored angler NOW is FIrstly to have as many social media platforms as possible, and have a huge following ( i have lost count of how many people have tried to add me to their page or themselves to achieve their goals) and to take hundreds of photos (proper ones that people will actually look at), write articles, tag almost everything and everyone they can etc etc.. its part of what they have to do to keep sponsorship, besides attending talks, doing comps etc etc..
there are some who do a fantastic job of it,and others just average.

Paul Foot

Post by Paul Foot » Mon Jul 31, 2017 12:52 pm

There can be no argument that a graphite rod, threadline reel and braid are excellent for throwing soft plastics and small lures around are superior than Alvey for that specific purpose, and I own such a setup for that purpose and use in freshwater.
I have caught many flathead with a small Alvey reel using soft plastics from my Kayak though and using bait, in my experience, many species of fish seem to like the bait to be moving and are ignorant of what sort of reel you are using to retrieve the line and whether the bait is made of plastic or is real.

hornet
Has liked: 123 times

Post by hornet » Mon Jul 31, 2017 1:02 pm

Looking at this from strictly a design view I doubt it could be modified / improved from it's original conception, changes would be only cosmetic not ground breaking, they tried one model which had a gear multiplier which boosted the retrieve from the standard 1 to 1 to 2 to 1, it never seemed to have kicked off or it would still be in production, I can't think of any modification that would bring this design into this century, I think the only way Alvey can stay in production is to scale down the company to cater for a niche market, where they truly do excel is in the surf being resistant to sand and salt water, also good for trolling and bottom bashing from boats..
He who has the most fishing rods WINS ! :ts:

Fish-Hunter

Post by Fish-Hunter » Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:32 am

Thanks for all the reply guys, good & bad.

Alvey is not for everyone, I like em'. There has been a lot of discussions here on only the praise of the good points of Alvey reels & to keep it balanced, I will share some of the bad points of an Alvey reel, as there are 17 pages of the good stuff.

Alvey Reels Bad Points -
* Big bulky & heavy
* Slow retrieve rate
* Cause line twist with every cast
* Suited to monofilament fishing line
* Better suited for experienced anglers
* Alvey Factory is Closing, future support will be limited
* Only best suited to limited fishing applications e.g Bait & Live baiting

Alvey's are great for beach fishing were Salt water & Sand intrusion is very likely to occur. Using an Alvey reel for beach fishing helps prevent damage to my high-cost spinning reels, I have many other reels to use for other fishing applications, but I like the simplicity of an Alvey. :cheers:

frozenpod
Has liked: 81 times

Post by frozenpod » Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:36 am

With the quality of Alvey manufacturing it is a shame that they didn't extend themselves to overheads.

How awesome would it be to have a top quality Australian made line up overhead game reels for Tuna, Marlin ect.

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:15 am

frozenpod wrote:With the quality of Alvey manufacturing it is a shame that they didn't extend themselves to overheads.

How awesome would it be to have a top quality Australian made line up overhead game reels for Tuna, Marlin ect.
This.

They could easily be an Aussie equivalent to Avet or something.
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

Return to “Fishing Rods & Reels”